(Topic ID: 239391)

UV reactive paint: Experience, Suggestions, Recommendations...?

By goingincirclez

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Have an idea for my next playfield restore - it could be a big shift and something I've never done and I want to do it right. Essentially I want to use UV-reactive effects to make parts of the machine glow only at certain times - I know, big deal, this has been done to varying degrees before, so what.

But the problem is: most UV-paints have a "day glo" or fluorescent sheen that gives them away in normal lighting. Some are more subtle ("invisible" in normal light) but only available in certain colors... most of which are still "different" compared to just basic normal hues.

Basically what I'm looking for is a full assortment of basic ROYGBIV colors that look normal under typical lighting, but pop under UV. Or even a clear reactant that lends the same effect to the underlying color(s). I'm trying to not "modify" the original colors on the playfield at all - at least, not under normal lighting...

I see different various options for powders, pigments, "UV clears", ready-mixed paints, etc that have various claims and applications to this effect but I'm wondering what folks here have used and might recommend? I'm trying to avoid exotic $30-an-ounce stuff because I have at least 7 colors to deal with... but if it comes to that because it's necessary, well, that's what I would like to find out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uv-reactive-paint-experience-suggestions-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.