12 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230421_175438_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20230421_175402_Firefox.jpg
#1 12 months ago

I bought a new 6'x12' utility trailer in 2016. I was without it for a few years, but sole owner and no one hacking with it, and mice ate through the wiring and I just got it back.

I replaced those mice eaten pieces, but when hooked up to my truck the signalling is not correct. When I left signal, nothing lights on the trailer. When I signal right, both sides light flash.

There are four wires, and a fifth white ground wire.

So I cut the pieces of mouse chewed wire out and replaced... white wire goes to white cut wire... green wire goes to cut green wire. I didn't "cross contaminate" wires. Cut out the eaten pieces, put on a new extension... the end. This doesn't seem like rocket science but it has me miffed.

I've had over 200 pinball machines and have brought games back from the dead. I'm not boasting, but just point being this isn't my first wiring job.

White ground wire is making good contact. The 'source', the truck, has been connected to a different trailer and its fine. Its all in the trailer wiring.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 12 months ago

Do these pics help?
-Mike

Screenshot_20230421_175402_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20230421_175402_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20230421_175438_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20230421_175438_Firefox.jpg
#4 12 months ago

I appreciate the help. It's going to be something ridiculous I'm sure

#5 12 months ago

I recently bought a trailer that had the plug eaten by a squirrel or something. I bought a complete light kit at Tractor Supply for $31 and installed the whole thing in a few hours. I recommend going that route.

#6 12 months ago

Replace all the wiring. If mice got to it, they probably got it other places you aren’t seeing. I just went through the same thing myself, and they got to a lot of wire I didn’t see initially.

An entire harness is really cheap.

#7 12 months ago

I got it all fixed. The wiring replacement I did turned out to be fine... The right break/turn signal housing was compromised make things not run right. Once corrected, all is finally good. Thanks for all the input

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/utility-trailer-wiring-not-working-correctly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.