DSC00734 (resized).jpg
DSC00731 (resized).jpg
63D02039-B423-42C3-B4FD-4D38BA77497C (resized).jpeg
062847EA-4CD0-466C-A465-920E97CE3618 (resized).jpeg
1D024299-73A6-490F-9E4F-DA07B9585653 (resized).jpeg
26AA57FC-0647-40B4-9A6B-E12CC81EA36A (resized).jpeg
D62B2013-54D4-44A1-9003-961DA1202B9F (resized).jpeg
Bally Turf King
Sweet sign of success - 160 replays on the score reels.  I had been troubleshooting a wrong-pay problem that occurred only on a
DSC09391 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BlackCatBone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago

What a nice game you have - congratulations. Russ Jensen did a lot of writing about the one-ball horse racing games. Here is a link that is worth reading:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-ball-horserace-writings-of-russ-jensen#post-4192489

The 1951 license is a great collectible all by itself.

#24 5 years ago

Can you post the serial number from your game? You'll find it on the right side of the cabinet near the ball shooter.

#25 5 years ago

Wow - your playfield, where you cleaned it, looks new. I've never seen a game where there wasn't a solid ball trail in the ball shooter lane and top arch. Looks like a very low mileage example.

#27 5 years ago

There are several other serial numbers you can check on your Turf King. The playfield is stamped along the bottom apron between the 2 and 3 holes in the win section. The main board that slides out the front door has its serial number stamped on the apron's front right, just below the fuse block. I don't believe there is a serial number on the head.

Your game does not have the "Feature Build-Up" reel that Joe mentioned. The feature reel on the "A" games is to the left of the replay reels as you look through the rear door. The backglass would have a silvered picture frame of the same style used around the replay reels. One of my photos shows the feature reel at 6, and that represents dollars. The reel reaches a maximum of 45, the equivalent of 900 nickels, and that was one heck of a payout in 1950 - about $500 in today's dollars. If your game had the feature build-up reel, you would expect to find an "Feature Change-Over" adjustment plug near the transformer that allowed the operator to change between having a feature win add 160 or 320 credits to the replay reels ("Feature Replay") or add nothing to replay reels in lieu of a cash payout at the counter ("Feature Build-Up"). Bally provided separate instruction cards for all three options.

The Feature reel was always present in Grandstand, the coin payout sister game to Turf King. I'm surprised that Bally chose to have this feature in early Turf Kings, and they apparently decided to drop it with the "AB" series. One awkward point with a feature win was that the knockoff switch that resets the feature reel to zero works *only* if the ball is in the feature hole with the feature lit. This, I'm pretty sure, was done to prevent the location owner from cheating the operator, but it makes for goofed up accounting if the knockoff switch isn't used immediately.

Bally Turf King "Feature Change-Over" plugs.  It currently is set to "Feature Replay," meaning games won are added to the replayBally Turf King "Feature Change-Over" plugs. It currently is set to "Feature Replay," meaning games won are added to the replayDSC09391 (resized).jpgDSC09391 (resized).jpgSweet sign of success - 160 replays on the score reels.  I had been troubleshooting a wrong-pay problem that occurred only on a Sweet sign of success - 160 replays on the score reels. I had been troubleshooting a wrong-pay problem that occurred only on a
#33 5 years ago

That's a handsome game you've got. Bally referred to it as their "Jumbo" cabinet style, and you can sure see why. I've posted several shots of the jones plugs for general reference. If you want more detailed shots of individual plugs, or whatever, just give me some guidance on what you need. My Turf King is serial number A2900 and has the extra circuitry to support the Feature Build-Up reel.

Would you post a close-up of the distributor's red tag on the bottom apron?

DSC00731 (resized).jpgDSC00731 (resized).jpgDSC00734 (resized).jpgDSC00734 (resized).jpg
11 months later
#39 4 years ago

Congratulations, Kelly, that's a really nice looking game you've got. If you don't have one yet, you can get the schematic and user manual on ipdb:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=turf+king&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2672

The schematic has a jones plug diagram that maps wire colors to plug positions. That will help you. Keep us posted on your progress.

#40 4 years ago

I love that R.F. Jones decal on the lower apron. I had a Night Club from the same distributor. They were huge - Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, SLC and others - but as far as I've been able to determine, they no longer exist.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BlackCatBone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ut?tu=BlackCatBone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.