(Topic ID: 290389)

using triple thick

By undrdog

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

1961 Gottlieb Flipper Fair backglass is very fragile. Pieces flaking off from the vibrations of the bg animation.

Do the clear areas of the glass have to be masked or does the triple thick just get sprayed on the entire backglass ? The clear areas are not just little windows for the score reels. This one has an unusual shape that the animation shows through.

If it has to be masked, how is that best done?

#2 3 years ago

Yes, has to be masked or glass will have glazed appearance.

I would do tracings, and make thin cardboard templates.

Put something you don't mind getting sprayed to slightly weigh them down....... think I used small pebbles.

Then follow youtube videos on how to apply spray.

60 - 70 weather is ideal.

#3 3 years ago

If its that fragile you may need to cover the whole thing in Gorilla Clear tape.
    Use a small foam roller to flatten it all down.

#4 3 years ago

There's always Shay's

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yes, has to be masked or glass will have glazed appearance.

No, they don't have to be masked.

If you spray thin coat, then yes, it will appear hazed/glazed, but if you spray a very thick coat over the windows, it will cloud at first, then cure completely clear. I've done several backglasses this way.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

60 - 70 weather is ideal.

Humidity is also important. It should be under 55%.

#6 3 years ago

Gonna get some locktite super glue and triple thick.

#7 3 years ago

Done 3 or 4 never masked just poured it on

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

If it has to be masked, how is that best done?

I use to cover the clear areas, but I don't spray any longer. Some use clear
    mylar, but if now a glass needs attention, I apply clear vinyl that I get from
    my Graphic Designer. I myself prefer it much better..

3 months later
    #9 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

very thick coat over the windows, it will cloud at first, then cure completely

It turned out clear, but kind of rippled. Not thick enough coat?

Also, the spray blew away large sections of paint.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Also, the spray blew away large sections of paint.

Don't spray it so closely. And/or glue the pieces down first. I made several other posts detailing the use of locite super glue with loose pieces.

Quoted from undrdog:

It turned out clear, but kind of rippled. Not thick enough coat?

Maybe. You can always knock it back with novus, and/or spray again.

It's not always going to be 100% perfect, optically speaking. It's usually fine for score displays, though.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

Same. In some cases it dries and looks ok. Otherwise I just use a sharp blade and cut out the windows. Looks better than using adhesive and then you miss your mark cause you were worried about the tape getting too close which would lift the artwork.

#12 2 years ago

I thought the loose pieces were already all off. Next time I’ll test it. This was just for practice. I already have a repro glass, so no worries.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

Does it come in pourable liquid? All I saw at the store was the spray.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Does it come in pourable liquid? All I saw at the store was the spray.

I suppose you could spray into a small cup, but I've never attempted that.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Same. In some cases it dries and looks ok. Otherwise I just use a sharp blade and cut out the windows. Looks better than using adhesive and then you miss your mark cause you were worried about the tape getting too close which would lift the artwork.

I always thought the trimmed edge of triple thick looked terrible. Have you had better luck with that?

#16 2 years ago

I’ve not done one in a while, but I’ve always masked after the first couple. I just didn’t like the glaze look. I used blue painters tape and layered over more custom clear areas that had funky shapes. Always turned out great and easy to peel off.

#17 2 years ago

Watch how much you use. if you seal it with a glass look on the back. (use a lot)
    and the game is in a garage and you have temperature differences the ink will pop off the glass
    The back is sealed to much.

I've done it. I found that crystal clear works just as good and then it gives the ink a chance to breath (expand)
    with temperature differences.

#18 2 years ago

Late to the post, but I have sealed a couple of really flaking back glasses using Cling Wrap. Clay has a method on his site.

For the score reel windows I cut out a piece of cardboard a tiny bit smaller than window, that way it will cover a fine line of the opaque screen. I put double side tape on back of cardboard and stick a bolt on top. That way easy to take the cardboard ‘block’ off and holds cardboard in place.

Temp/humidity is VERY important when spraying. Need it to be a comfortable temperature without humidity or you will have a mess I also spray a pattern horizontally and vertically when covering.

I have done many bg’s w/Triple Thick without fail thankfully.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-triple-thick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.