(Topic ID: 22402)

Using the Garage as a game room too......what do you think!

By iceman44

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by BrianZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1938.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luvthatapex2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 11 years ago

There are pluses and minuses to using your garage for pins. I have used my 2 car garage to house pins for the past 4 years and recently moved them out.

Plus:
    space. I needed space and cars aren't that important to me, so outside they went and in came the pins. I also added area carpeting, a jukebox, lighting and fans. This was a bare minimum before guests came into the new "gameroom" since then it was more comfortable.

I've enjoyed wheeling games in and out. It was very simple and I've seen 2 dozen games go in and out of the garage gameroom in 4 years. I've had as many as 10 and as few as 4 in this space in this time.

Minus:
    temperature. The summers are hot and the winters are cold here. Its not a problem in spring and fall, but its too hot in the summer (even with the fans on) and too cold in the winter to spend any time in the garage gameroom. Its insulated, but those garage doors are probably 10% efficiency if that. I could make it better, but that would mean more money to invest in this temp housing, which is not going to happen.

Unfortunately the temp has gotten on my nerves once and for all, so the games go back to the basement where its very comfy all year round. I have bilco doors to bring them down, so 10 steps up or down isn't too bad. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

#27 11 years ago

Well, if you do that also check that you have amps on your electrical. I only had a 20 amp circuit for the whole garage and with the freezer and 4 pins I was maxed, so it could not handle another draw like a/c. The addition of another 20amps and separate ventilation would have been required which would have added cost to the project.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Just helped a friend do this. He bought a portable ac unit and exhauasted it outside along with a drain line. Built shelf about 6 feet off the ground for unit to sit so as to not take up floor space.
    One key is to get a good seal in the garage too. Not the animal, nor the performer...but an air seal. Replaced trim around my garage doors with weather stripping and it is very tight now. I could notice that the room creates a pressure imbalance and it was slightly more difficult to open the door to the house because of this.
    Another suggestion is to get bigger unit than you think. His garage is 20 x 20 feet so a 12k btu unit was recommended. He bought a 14k version and it worked pretty well late in the day and evening, once we were finished installing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luvthatapex2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-the-garage-as-a-game-room-toowhat-do-you-think?tu=luvthatapex2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.