Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fubar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pbl-600-0046-00-1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210405_200942310 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago

You shouldn’t plug anything into the USB ports unless you know how much power your mod draws and the capacity of the USB port. There are safer ways to draw power, including 5v at the coindoor node board.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from twhtalm:

According to the spike2 shematics the main MPU is a MCIMX6U5DVM10AC. The datasheet states the max current per USB port is 25mA.

That is barely anything. I’m surprised you could run more than a handful of leds off that.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The MPU supports 4 channels, I sincerely doubt it powers them as well.
    Its a generic multimedia MPU that is used for a wide variety of tablets and such so I doubt it is a limiting factor.

There are better and known safer places to pull 5v, I would not do it off the cpu. Of course, it won’t be as easy as plugging into a USB port. The power distribution board in the backbox has readily available 12v, stern uses it for many of their toppers. There is also open 5v and 12v headers at the coin door cabinet board that are made to run accessories like bill acceptors and ticket dispensers. You’ll have to know how to crimp and pin and identify and buy the connectors, the pinouts are in every manual, but it’s the way to do it properly. The connections are rated for 2a, though I still would not want to draw too much power off these boards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-spike-2-usb-port-for-led-strip?tu=Lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.