(Topic ID: 197844)

Using Shorter Back Legs on A Pinball Machine?

By nipper2u

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by nipper2u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180103_160148856 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_181522239 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hello,

The TLDR is could I replace just the back legs on a pinball machine with shorter ones so as to put them on a built-in carpeted bench?

The longer version is that my game room is a completed walk-in attic. Because of this the walls are half height (36" tall) before they begin to slant in slowly to a 9 foot ceiling height (so nothing can sit flat against a wall if that thing is taller than 36"). The exception being the alcove around a double set of Windows. However, there is a carpeted built-in bench under the windows in this alcove (it has an a/c duct going through it). The benches are 19" high and about 32" deep. Since I am tight on space I was wondering if I could put a pinball machine in this alcove such that back of the pinball machine is closest to the windows and the back legs rest on the built-in bench but the front legs sit on the floor out in front of the bench. To do so I would have to replace the back legs with ones 19" shorter. The pinball machine will still be leveled and the original height, just with shorter back legs on the bench. Will having shorter back legs on a bench impact game play or is there a reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

#2 2 years ago

Attaching a picture of the alcove.

IMG_20170911_181522239 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Sure you could use shorter legs in this situation. However the leg length you might need may not be a standard size. You might then need to shorten some legs.

#4 2 years ago

You won't find metal legs short enough to sit on top of that shelf and end up with the game at the correct slope.

You might be able to fashion your own legs out of oak blocks if you have the woodworking skills. Look at 1950s-60s wood legs as examples. However, you will probably need legs with a larger diameter to support the weight of a more modern game.

Or, remove the shelf

#5 2 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I should have mentioned I have access to a machine shop and can make up a set of legs to fit.

#6 2 years ago

Wouldn't it be easiest to just cut down a pair of legs and use shims to level? Zero fabrication needed.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Wouldn't it be easiest to just cut down a pair of legs and use shims to level? Zero fabrication needed.

That's what I did when I wanted a child height game. Cut off the tops and drill new leg bolt holes.

#8 2 years ago

The legs themselves weren't as big a concern as if there was some nuanced reason not to cut them off to begin with. Thanks again everyone for your input. I hope to be filling that space soon!

4 months later
    #9 1 year ago

Just to bring this thread to a close, I was able to buy spare sets of legs at a good price, cut them off, and drill new holes. Pins slide right up on the bench out of the way and play without a hitch, as everyone expected.

IMG_20180103_160148856 (resized).jpg

#10 1 year ago

That's one of the funniest pinball mods I've seen. But works perfectly.

10 points for resourcefulness!

#11 1 year ago

Looks good do they seem any harder to nudge?

#12 1 year ago

Fantastic use of space via resourcefulness!
    Glad it worked out for you.

#13 1 year ago

Thanks everyone!

Quoted from Darscot:

do they seem any harder to nudge?

Nope - my 6 year old still tilts AFMr when trying to avoid the outer drains. I do have carpet sliders on the legs though, so that might have something to do with it - ? Hasn't impacted enjoyment.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from nipper2u:

Thanks everyone!

Nope - my 6 year old still tilts AFMr when trying to avoid the outer drains. I do have carpet sliders on the legs though, so that might have something to do with it - ? Hasn't impacted enjoyment.

As long as he doesn't do a huge slide save and the back legs fall off the bench.

#15 1 year ago

Hmmm, that is a valid concern, but that bench is 32" deep and I don't that think his arms are long enough to slide it that far while playing even if he was strong enough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    $ 269.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 334.95
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 208.87

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside