2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6796CFFC-B967-4F6B-B77C-C3F280CCB36F (resized).jpeg
    69D72A4B-5A6E-4495-918B-EB2862EEE7E8 (resized).jpeg
    D784E6FB-5D12-413A-912B-E260233AFF2A (resized).jpeg
    9F41A16D-4261-4F3F-A9D5-9B8B20E4AEEB (resized).jpeg
    6CADD24C-C199-427C-93C5-B09B13F29648 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

So I have a few redemption games and gumball machines in the home game room.
    No way around it they need to be used with Quarters.
    My main question is,do you have any cool ways of displaying/dispensing your quarters.
    I was thinking about mounting the coin changers that arcade attendants had strapped to their stomach.
    Was curious what ideas you have?
    6CADD24C-C199-427C-93C5-B09B13F29648 (resized).jpeg6CADD24C-C199-427C-93C5-B09B13F29648 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

Barrel dispenser

9F41A16D-4261-4F3F-A9D5-9B8B20E4AEEB (resized).jpeg9F41A16D-4261-4F3F-A9D5-9B8B20E4AEEB (resized).jpeg
    #3 2 years ago

For my skill roll I have an extra cash bucket of nickels on top of it. I've been looking for a Rowe-type changer (not the large one) to have in the gameroom as well and make it dispense nickels if I ever get one. A friend has one in his gameroom and everything is set to quarter play because he really wants the arcade experience.... he even has red colored quarters for when he has to give someone a 'refund'.

#4 2 years ago

If you really want the arcade feel, then I suggest using tokens. You can order customized tokens at a reasonable price. Just go after the almost quarter sized type and buy a few Type E coin mechs for your machines.

If I had the option, I would go after a used wall mounted change machine and mod it, so you don't have insert bills into it. Just press a button and out comes 4 (or 20) tokens.

#5 2 years ago

Careful with those.

If you have it attached to a belt around your waist and it gets caught on something it will bring you right down fast.

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago

This is going back almost 20 years, but a friend of mine who had 7-8 pins found an old bill changer for cheap. He set the games on quarter play and we fed said games. The proceeds went towards upkeep and nobody bitched about dropping a few bucks to play nice games we spent a lot of time getting back in shape.

#7 2 years ago

So far, I've got half of my games set up for tokens. Over the last couple years, I've been able to purchase a few thousand tokens from various places and have also been able to procure a Rowe BC-35 locally, for cheap. There is a way to wire most all Rowe machines, regardless of model, so that you push the coin reject button and out spit some tokens(it's tied to the test button feature inside). The plan is to have them all on tokens with the changer setup so that you get the full arcade experience. With the Rowe machines, the hoppers are differently made to accept the different size ranges of tokens/quarters. Each are denoted on the front as to what sizes they are for. Hoppers can easily be swapped out, too. There are tokens that are slightly smaller or slightly larger than quarters and there are coin mechs made specifically for those sizes as well. Fairly easy to go with the smaller token size(.900) and convert the mechs over to that size and use a token changer/dispenser, too. When the time comes for a dispenser, there are lots of auction sites that regularly sell them throughout the year, just takes some Googling to find them. Good luck!

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

So far, I've got half of my games set up for tokens. Over the last couple years, I've been able to purchase a few thousand tokens from various places and have also been able to procure a Rowe BC-35 locally, for cheap. There is a way to wire most all Rowe machines, regardless of model, so that you push the coin reject button and out spit some tokens(it's tied to the test button feature inside). The plan is to have them all on tokens with the changer setup so that you get the full arcade experience. With the Rowe machines, the hoppers are differently made to accept the different size ranges of tokens/quarters. Each are denoted on the front as to what sizes they are for. Hoppers can easily be swapped out, too. There are tokens that are slightly smaller or slightly larger than quarters and there are coin mechs made specifically for those sizes as well. Fairly easy to go with the smaller token size(.900) and convert the mechs over to that size and use a token changer/dispenser, too. When the time comes for a dispenser, there are lots of auction sites that regularly sell them throughout the year, just takes some Googling to find them. Good luck!

That’s what I did with my Rowe BC25. I picked up my Rowe machine from a local bowling alley for $190 in ‘14. I wired it so the coin eject dispenses four tokens on demand. And yes, I had to EBay for hoppers that would handle 984 sized tokens.

I don’t have my pins configured w/ 984 token mechs because I’m currently using all of the coin boxes for storage of rubbers, parts, coils, etc…, but everything else (MAME, ICE, MISTercade, slots, and dart machine) is configured for 984/.25 coin mechs.

Normally, if it’s just me in the gameroom, I just set all the machines to freeplay. The problem with tokens is that when you have parties, you always have to worry about your guests walking off with them.

One of my guests recently suggested that I charge $20 at the door for tokens, and after they use them all up, they get the $20 back. It was a good idea, but then I guess I’d have to check to see if I got the $20 of tokens in my machines after they leave. So, I just keep the machines on freeplay.

The token machine is more of a conversation piece rather than an actual purposed coin dispenser. And believe me, people do naturally gravitate to it eventually and start asking me about it.

Old pictures…
    69D72A4B-5A6E-4495-918B-EB2862EEE7E8 (resized).jpeg69D72A4B-5A6E-4495-918B-EB2862EEE7E8 (resized).jpegD784E6FB-5D12-413A-912B-E260233AFF2A (resized).jpegD784E6FB-5D12-413A-912B-E260233AFF2A (resized).jpeg

#9 2 years ago

I purchased this on eBay years ago. A neat piece of arcade Americana. Paragon is the only game I have that takes quarters.

6796CFFC-B967-4F6B-B77C-C3F280CCB36F (resized).jpeg6796CFFC-B967-4F6B-B77C-C3F280CCB36F (resized).jpeg
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

That’s what I did with my Rowe BC25. I picked up my Rowe machine from a local bowling alley for $190 in ‘14. I wired it so the coin eject dispenses four tokens on demand. And yes, I had to EBay for hoppers that would handle 984 sized tokens.
    I don’t have my pins configured w/ 984 token mechs because I’m currently using all of the coin boxes for storage of rubbers, parts, coils, etc…, but everything else (MAME, ICE, MISTercade, slots, and dart machine) is configured for 984/.25 coin mechs.
    Normally, if it’s just me in the gameroom, I just set all the machines to freeplay. The problem with tokens is that when you have parties, you always have to worry about your guests walking off with them.
    One of my guests recently suggested that I charge $20 at the door for tokens, and after they use them all up, they get the $20 back. It was a good idea, but then I guess I’d have to check to see if I got the $20 of tokens in my machines after they leave. So, I just keep the machines on freeplay.
    The token machine is more of a conversation piece rather than an actual purposed coin dispenser. And believe me, people do naturally gravitate to it eventually and start asking me about it.
    Old pictures…

That's the style machine I eventually want to end up with, the BC25. My BC35 is the blue/white kind with the full flat top. It's fine and all, but I'm much more into the mid-'80s and prior look, which means wood appliqué. The more the merrier! The thing I never realized about them is what a heavy beast they are! As for the tokens, that's why I bought the huge lots of old tokens that were either generic to begin with, or don't mean anything to me. So, I'm not really worried if a few of them happen to walk off over time. Besides, I know everybody who comes over to play really well and I know where they live. I shouldn't have any issue recovering them if necessary.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-quarters-in-your-game-room- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.