(Topic ID: 212189)

Using post it notes for my machine to-do list; Is there a better way?

By SDTMinSTL

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Skjermbilde 2018-03-13 kl. 14.30.53 (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

I have a moderate sized collection in my game room (15) and I currently keep track of my to do's on a particular machine by scribbling something on a post it note and slapping it on the front of the machine. I love being organized, and it would be great to have a better system. Any suggestions? How do you make lists of things to tackle on your machines when you are free?

#2 6 years ago

Excel document? Some other sort of online tracker? Google keep, one note. Or just a notebook and pen. I prefer to write lists in a notebook and cross things out. Crossing out is like the best thing ever.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from jester523:

Excel document? Some other sort of online tracker? Google keep, one note. Or just a notebook and pen. I prefer to write lists in a notebook and cross things out. Crossing out is like the best thing ever.

Thanks for the suggestions. I use Google keep for a lot of things but not pinball. I feel like this is one of the off times where old fashioned is better. I want to be able to look at a machine at a glance and know if there is something that needs done.

My wife recommended some sort of small clip board that could somehow be stowed under the machine. Not sure on the details, and not sure this is the direction I want to go. I would need a lot of small clip boards and I'm not keen on attaching some sort of holder, even a temporary one, under the machine.

Was hoping maybe an old school operator might weigh in. Those guys juggled a lot of machines and to do lists back in pinballs peak.

#4 6 years ago

https://trello.com Works wonders for stuff like that. The page can be a bit finicky to learn, but it really is great.
    At the pinball club they have integrated it with slack. That way all the members of the chat gets updates on what’s wrong or fixed.

#5 6 years ago

I write on the glass with a dry erase marker circling or pointing arrows at things that need fixing.

#6 6 years ago

Maintain notes on your smartphone.

You don’t have to be in front of your pinball machine or even home to review your to do list. It always with you

#7 6 years ago

I maintain a pin to-do list for each pin in a note on my iPhone. It tracks what I have done and what's still left to do, and come in handy that it is shared across all my devices.....

#8 6 years ago

I personally use an excel spreadsheet. I also have a big dry erase board I plan on using in the garage for the bigger projects.

#9 6 years ago

I use.post it notes and stick them on the coun box inside the coin door but i like gtxjoe's idea of keeping notes on your smart phone also. Im going to give that a try. My Galaxy phone has a memo app on it so that should work i guess.

#10 6 years ago

If you're not an iPhone user, this won't help. But if you do use iOs, the native Reminders app on the iPhone is absolutely perfect for this. I have different lists setup for tons of stuff... one for groceries, one for movies I want to download, one for a list of maintenance items for our boat, and most important one for "to-do" items for my pinball collection. The items can include maintenance/repair tasks, parts I need to buy next time I place an order, or even goals I want to accomplish in a certain game. Basically anything I want to remember.

To create a new list, click the + symbol next to the search bar at the top of the reminders screen or just say "Hey Siri, I want to start a new list". Name the new list "Pinball". An added feature if you have others with iPhones is that you can share this list with them (via iCloud) and they can add to it and mark items as complete. This works when my son is home from college and I can ask him to review the list and work on any outstanding items... or add anything he finds that needs fixing while playing any of the games.

#11 6 years ago

"OK GOOGLE, I WANT TO START A LIST" works for my groceries =D

I have used a white board in the work shop. I inevitably stop using it after a few weeks tho.

#12 6 years ago

Here is an example of a troll list. mine is in Norwegian, but you get the pint. Works great.
    I can also add links anywhere and then buy when i need stuff with the part number or link.

Skjermbilde 2018-03-13 kl. 14.30.53 (resized).pngSkjermbilde 2018-03-13 kl. 14.30.53 (resized).png

#13 6 years ago

Google Keep works very well for this and many other things.

#14 6 years ago

I just write it down on a piece of paper on my desk....a spreadsheet?!? Seems like a waste of time...

#15 6 years ago

I like good old fashioned paper and pen/pencil.

#16 6 years ago

Color note applicztiin on phone, where I keep all myto do lists

#17 6 years ago

Cardboard box flap and a sharpie, Roadkill style!

Seriously tho, post it's aren't a bad idea. I always forget something when I do an order.

#18 6 years ago

Get the android app memento.

You can get as detailed as you want. It even supports QR codes.

I use it to track 500+ machines, 2000+ boards, 100+ monitors, 1000+ products, 25+ clients.

I can tell you which board came from which machine, what other machines have the same board, which board had a specific part replaced, etc...

It also supports adding pics, geolocation, serialization, etc....

You can even sync your database across devices so you can use your cellphone or a tablet and get the same data set.

AND, to top it all off, its free!!!!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

https://trello.com Works wonders for stuff like that. The page can be a bit finicky to learn, but it really is great.
    At the pinball club they have integrated it with slack. That way all the members of the chat gets updates on what’s wrong or fixed.

Came here to mention Trello - great product, works well for things like this.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Here is an example of a troll list. mine is in Norwegian, but you get the pint. Works great.
    I can also add links anywhere and then buy when i need stuff with the part number or link.

Thanks for the Trello recommendation. I am starting to set it up. May I ask, how do you have it setup? Individual games are cards? What are your other lists/headings to the right? Completed? To do?

Thanks. Just trying to make sure I grasp the best way to do this.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I figured it out. I have a board called Pinball then Lists for Misc Tasks, Games, Pending and Completed. Under games I have cards for all the titles I have where you can click on each and see the task list that needs completed. I am guessing this will work.

I sure am glad I asked. A ton of really great suggestions!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Any suggestions?

I don't keep a list. I just go do it.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-post-it-notes-for-my-machine-to-do-list-is-there-a-better-way?hl=sdtminstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.