(Topic ID: 258415)

Using pinball for therapy?

By pinmister

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161229_123442 (resized).jpg
    Project pinball.jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I just read a post where a gentleman posted about getting into the pinball hobby to help with his post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It tugged at my heart as I thought about others with both physical and mental disabilities.

Has pinball helped you with a disability?

I have heard stories of pinball machine/s being placed in retirement homes, children's hospitals, or other places where people could use something to help them with an illness, disability, etc.

If pinball has helped you or others-I would love to hear the stories(with pics if possible).

#2 4 years ago

I have a high stress job and many nights when I get home a quick game takes the edge off a brutal day!

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

I have a high stress job and many nights when I get home a quick game takes the edge off a brutal day!

Very true,Years ago i would have a very stressful day and coming home i would power up all the pins and loved to watch all the LED's and attract sounds.It was like taking a huge step back in time

#4 4 years ago
    #5 4 years ago

Absolutely! Had a high stress job and playing pinball after, or before a
    difficult day really helped.
    Steve

#6 4 years ago

Wow! What a thread ...still reading the posts

#7 4 years ago

Shout out to Project Pinball and all that they do. -Good stuff

http://projectpinball.org/

Project pinball.jpgProject pinball.jpg
    #8 4 years ago

Pinball is a great way to vent your frustration. Especially when watching football.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I just read a post where a gentleman posted about getting into the pinball hobby to help with his post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

I actually got PTSD in 2015 after a car crash that nearly killed both me and my dad. We got very lucky that the car that hit us tried to avoid us on the last moment, otherwise we would have gone straight into a large tree. (See photo: both front and back axle snapped in half and the front of the car was gone) While I am almost "complaint free" now, my dad will most likely always suffer from the whiplash he got that day. (he is not able to lift "heavy things" and can't work for 100%)

In my case with the PTSD I landed in a huge depression and I didn't want to do anything anymore, or just couldn't because all my energy got drained. I quit school and my side job, and started focussing on getting better. After multiple sessions of EMDR therapy, my psychologist said I should try to enjoy life again.. So I started playing and repairing my machines, and I truly believe that it helped me to get rid of (some of) my negative thoughts and feelings. If pinball makes you feel happy, play pinball! Spending time with loved ones really helped me too.

IMG_20161229_123442 (resized).jpgIMG_20161229_123442 (resized).jpg
    #10 4 years ago

Personally, I try to work or play my games to get my mind off my severe depression. Some days a good repair or game lifts me up a good deal. And the days nothing works usually don't hit me super hard like anything else normally would.

#11 4 years ago

Pinball is a good thing to direct attention to and distracts from emotional things. It’s a very healthy hobby and has been good to me.

#12 4 years ago

I was thinking that pinball is such a great escape for the mind and it truly does help get your mind away from negative thoughts. It would be interesting if pinball machines could be placed in veteran clubs,etc. to help former soldiers with PTSD,etc. I have always liked the wounded warriors project charity and wonder if pinball could really help some vets?

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

#13 4 years ago

I typically play for 30 min to a hour every weeknight. I normally do this when my wife is taking her bath. It definitely gets my mind off of work and other day to day stress. It’s a great way to relax.

6 months later
    #14 3 years ago

I have found that pinball helps me tremendously. I don't even need to play my machines. Sometimes just watching them in atract mode is enough. I spent three years in Iraq as a soldier. I spent 20 years on active duty as an M1 Abrams crewman. Those three years in Iraq were spent actively seeking out the enemy. Non of it was fun to say the least.. Playing is soothing for me. Now I can get worked up playing but its never anger. Of all the things I've done for therapy pinball is my 1 that really makes me feel better. Working on them Playing them. The thing is i have to be fully involved with it and that takes your mind off of the other stuff. Now my wife is supportive for sure till I tell her how much these dang things cost.

#15 3 years ago

If staying out in the garage until 3 AM with all the games on until I am so drunk and high that I can't even stand is therapy, then yes, I've been therapized.

#16 3 years ago

This covid has been tough for me. Wife is a high risk candidate so haven’t been able to hang out with anyone or have the kids over. Now that I’m working at home they think you just all of a sudden have extra time and they expect it now. Been a tough few months but having a game room has helped tremendously. Thirsty Thursday has been a great way to clear the mind! Few beers, pinball, and have been listening to psychostick live. Never really knew who they where until quarantine. Pretty funny stuff. But yes pinball is very therapeutic

#17 3 years ago

Several years ago I was on the shelf with a pretty gnarly leg injury that had me off my feet for several months. After PT was done I still had problems standing for more than a few minutes. I had the brilliant idea to try to get back into pinball to help with this. A friend sent me a pic of an MM at a nearby bowling alley so I started my other PT... Pinball Therapy. That helped me stand for a while. I also was able to vastly improve my game and before long I was standing in front of that game for 30-45 minutes at a crack for a single game. So, mission accomplished.

2 weeks later
    #18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Been a tough few months but having a game room has helped tremendously.

These are the craziest times I have ever experienced and feel that pinball has helped me distract my mind and escape reality. Trying to play at least one game a day has helped me-even if just for a moment of time. Waiting for things to get back to normal again and thankful that pinball is giving me some relief with something to do. Pinball can be used for therapy and can help.

3 years later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-pinball-for-therapy- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.