Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mark532011
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I thought I would try and document some techniques for using photoshop to help with small playfield repairs. I am not a PS expert so if others have some examples and how-to's, please add them in!

#2 5 years ago

Ny first submission is a pretty simple one, creating a small graphic for a playfield plastic. Although it uses Photoshop, I suspect the concepts are pretty similar to other apps. If you have PS and have been a little nervous of trying anything with it, I hope this helps!

#3 5 years ago

Here is a quick little video showing creating and manuplating text in photoshop while creating an apron graphic:

#4 5 years ago

Favorited!

3 weeks later
    #5 4 years ago

Here is a key video, how to use photoshop to clean up a camera picture of the playfield and get it accurate. It follows how to use trandform, distort and barrel distortion as well as image-scaling to get an accurate, scaled image that can be used for printing decals or vinyl or whatever. I hope its useful for people:

#6 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

Here is a key video, how to use photoshop to clean up a camera
    picture of the playfield and get it accurate. It follows how to use
    trandform, distort and barrel distortion as well as image-scaling
    to get an accurate, scaled image that can be used for printing
    decals or vinyl or whatever. I hope its useful for people:

That was helpful, thanks.

#8 4 years ago

This is great man! Have you considered doing this with scans of plastics to repair or replace them? Personally I’m on a hunt for plastics that I can’t seem to find but I’ve obtained scans of the entire set. Interested in your approach for something like that.

Reference for scans I’m referring to:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-shangri-la-plastics#post-4954478

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

This is great man! Have you considered doing this with scans of plastics to repair or replace them? Personally I’m on a hunt for plastics that I can’t seem to find but I’ve obtained scans of the entire set. Interested in your approach for something like that.
    Reference for scans I’m referring to:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-shangri-la-plastics#post-4954478

The concept is similar. In your case you already have accurate scans so the photoshop warping thing is not really needed. You might have to clean up the graphic, depending on how good the scan is.. they can be washed out and need to have brightness and saturation pumped up. Then you can print onto some decal paper

For me the issue is how to accurately cut some new plastic. That is something I have been playing around with, might be able to post something after the Tacoma show

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

The concept is similar. In your case you already have accurate scans so the photoshop warping thing is not really needed. You might have to clean up the graphic, depending on how good the scan is.. they can be washed out and need to have brightness and saturation pumped up. Then you can print onto some decal paper
    For me the issue is how to accurately cut some new plastic. That is something I have been playing around with, might be able to post something after the Tacoma show

If you have an original plastic that is structurally in shape you could use a router table with a flush trim bit to get a perfect match.

4 months later
    #11 4 years ago

Here is another post covering a similar situation, the photographing, scaling and touchup of a playfield picture. In this case its for use in a vinyl cutter to make a paint mask.

For anyone interested, here is part 2: using the photoshop image to actually cut out a paint mask.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for the videos - I have seen a lot of talk about Cameos and Crickets - but now I have seen them in use for a pinball machine!
    I cant wait to see you airbrush it!

1 year later
    #13 3 years ago

Its been awhile but I have been duplicating a Ice Revue playfield and I thought I would post another little one on duplicating lettering. Sometimes you want it to be exact rather than just using a font that is pretty close. THis shows how to duplicate letters pretty easily.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-photoshop-with-the-playfield?hl=ktownhero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.