(Topic ID: 234856)

Using paypal

By mtp78

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6FC6117E-521C-4AFF-8AA8-E04F68994A19 (resized).jpeg
    3e53c1a8e609f96ae7ee9b7b99f07219be58cbd0 (resized).jpg
    0C80D762-BA09-45AD-BEBC-E00DB55629BF (resized).jpeg
    10A4569A-7940-454A-B150-5BA1F2D01306 (resized).jpeg

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Selling a game using paypal...any advice or tips when doing this ? I never used the service before. Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Do NOT check the option for “friends and family”. Just a tip.

#4 5 years ago

I’ve used PayPal to buy and sell at least 50 times and have not had any issues. As long as the person you’re deal with is reputable and has great feedback I wouldn’t have any concerns. There have been a few horror stories involving people getting scammed out of money, but I’ve had nothing but positive experiences. It’s quick and easy. Once you get your money, deposit it back into your bank account. As with any decision, you have to make that final call

#6 5 years ago

I wouldnt use pp for selling a game unless ive done business with them before.

Highly risky selling a game to a newbie or first time buyer as they are more likely to not realize that pinball machines do break thus they have the power to reverse charges in a case of a few bad lamps.
    Cash on glass is the best.

#7 5 years ago

2 ways. If out of state, make sure they have plenty of Feedback...and it's good. You can also list Pick Up Only. They will have to come to you.

#8 5 years ago

Just go old school. Take a personal check. Once the check clears the bank then ship.

A cleared personal check is not going to blow back on you.

Or go with a bank wire.

PayPal can come in after you have shipped and bite you by pulling funds from your account.

You can’t trust cashiers checks.

But a personal check if final. A bank wire is final. No one can come in and make a clawback.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Do NOT check the option for “friends and family”. Just a tip.

Actually if your the one collecting the money having them send it "friends and family" is the way to go because then you don't get charged the 3% fee and they can not file a claim on you to get their money back. On the flip side of that if you are the buyer I wouldn't do that unless the seller is a reputable person as there is no way for you to get your money back if there is a problem.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from britrex1:

Actually if your the one collecting the money having them send it "friends and family" is the way to go because then you don't get charged the 3% fee and they can not file a claim on you to get their money back. On the flip side of that if you are the buyer I wouldn't do that unless the seller is a reputable person as there is no way for you to get your money back if there is a problem.

If you do this more than once expect to get your paypal account restricted. They will begin holding 20% back from every payment you receive. You don't get your 20% for 90 days. Ask me how I know.......

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Just go old school. Take a personal check. Once the check clears the bank then ship.
    Or go with a bank wire.
    PayPal can come in after you have shipped and bite you by pulling funds from your account.
    But a personal check if final. A bank wire is final. No one can come in and make a clawback.

A personal check can take up to 3 weeks to fully clear. A stop payment can also be done on a personal check. A personal check can be forged just as easily as a cashiers check. I would take a cashiers check before a personal check but would prefer a bank wire or cash over either.

#12 5 years ago

I’ve used escrow.com several times and smooth no worry transactions. The small fee is worth not having to deal with the BS. If the buyer objects, tell him to go pound sand!

Cash on the glass is always best but that obviously doesn’t work with long distance deals.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

If you do this more than once expect to get your paypal account restricted. They will begin holding 20% back from every payment you receive. You don't get your 20% for 90 days. Ask me how I know.......

Possibly you had someone that sent you money report you for doing it?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Highly risky selling a game to a newbie or first time buyer as they are more likely to not realize that pinball machines do break thus they have the power to reverse charges in a case of a few bad lamps.
    Cash on glass is the best.

This! I had someone offer to Paypal me for an arcade cabinet. I told them I don't have Paypal.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Or go with a bank wire.

This is not entirely true and something I see at work all the time. You can dispute a wire for up to 60 days after you receive your statement (https://www.consumerfinance.gov/policy-compliance/rulemaking/regulations/1005/11/) with your financial institution, plus the length (10 - 45 days) of the investigation. The money isn't really "safe" for several months after the transfer. Go with cash.

#16 5 years ago

I've used paypal for many of my transactions (3x times buyer, 1x seller). Always has been friends and family, and have had ZERO issues.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from britrex1:

Actually if your the one collecting the money having them send it "friends and family" is the way to go because then you don't get charged the 3% fee and they can not file a claim on you to get their money back.

That is a common misunderstanding about money sent via friends and family. With friends and family payments they can not file a dispute through PayPal, but they can still file a dispute with their bank or credit card company. With bank funded payments, they can be disputed for 30 to 60 days depending on who they bank with. With credit card payments they can be disputed for up to 6 months.

So there is a risk taking a PayPal payment even if it is sent via friends and family.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

A personal check can take up to 3 weeks to fully clear. A stop payment can also be done on a personal check. A personal check can be forged just as easily as a cashiers check. I would take a cashiers check before a personal check but would prefer a bank wire or cash over either.

3 weeks to clear a check in this day and age? It used to be there was a thing called the "float" that business made use of frequently. You might haver got a 10-day float as your bank would mail transactions to a bank on the other side of the country. In our electronic age, once your money is in the banks' systems it can in another bank in the blink of an eye.

You can walk a personal check into your bank and have your bank call the bank the check is written against to confirm that there are enough funds for the check to clear. If your bank says the check will not clear, then you have an issue with your buyer. If your bank confirms the check will clear then make the deposit.

It is not much different if the buyer lives in the same town as you. You can walk into his bank and cash the check and walk out with the cash--if the check will clear. If it won't clear at the counter then you have issue with your buyer.

Stop payments work only if the check has not already cleared.

If it is a forged check, a call from your bank will put light on it. And you have issue with your buyer.

Maybe your bank can call about a cashier's check to verify, but I don't think so.

#19 5 years ago

So after reading all this, What does everyone suggest other than "Cash on the Glass" to protect yourself from getting scammed? Im getting ready to sell a Ghostbusters, and don't want to get screwed out of my game. Usually I'm not opposed to doing business with someone out of state, but now Im thinking twice about that. I saw someone posted to use escrow.com. Anyone else tried that? Being a former business owner of a retail bicycle shop, I would get disputed checks every so often, after the money had been deposited. Then I was out the money and the product. Had to file a police report etc....which did nothing.

For the record I have never had an issue buying and selling with Paypal. However on large purchases, I would rather pay a little extra and have an invoice from the seller as protection. As a Seller, friends and family the money.

#20 5 years ago

Newbie here, just bought an out of state game and have sold tons of items in other hobbies with Paypal. I've never once had a problem with Paypal, but you do need to be careful as others have said.

Two very safe options:

1. Western Union cash pickup. Just did this to buy my second pin and it worked well. Buyer went to his local WU location and had cash in hand in an hour
    2. Paypal friends and family. All risk is on the buyer with this, same as WU. No chance of the buyer filing a claim or losing money when you're the seller with this option. If they don't want to do friends and family, tell them to go pound sand then.

#21 5 years ago

Escrow.com worked for me. It was around $170.00 if I remember right. We split that cost evenly. Added security for both of us.

#22 5 years ago

When I buy a game, to show my true interest in the game, I normally send a 10% non-refundable deposit through PayPal. The rest, I put cash in the owner's hand - unless I don't plan to make the drive (when I bought JM from a Pinsider in AZ for example).

Never had an issue. Of course, I've always been the buyer.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I’ve used PayPal to buy and sell at least 50 times and have not had any issues. As long as the person you’re deal with is reputable and has great feedback I wouldn’t have any concerns. There have been a few horror stories involving people getting scammed out of money, but I’ve had nothing but positive experiences. It’s quick and easy. Once you get your money, deposit it back into your bank account. As with any decision, you have to make that final call

Don't forget to pay taxes on all those games sold!

#24 5 years ago

Go to your bank and the account that Paypal sends to, request a Block Paypal from the ability to remove any funds.
    Should there by any issues, they cant hurt your account.

#25 5 years ago

Lot of tinfoil hats in here.

If you want cash on glass you limit buyers. I use PP friends and family all the time to buy and sell. Never an issue. Make sure the buyer/seller is reputable and stop stressing.

#26 5 years ago

I’ll accept a deposit via PayPal, but I normally want cash on glass unless they are a highly reputable pinsider.

#27 5 years ago

I have sold many high end expensive machines via PayPal with no issues. Also shipped them as well. Guess I like to live dangerously.

#28 5 years ago

It works until it doesn't.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Lot of tinfoil hats in here.
    If you want cash on glass you limit buyers. I use PP friends and family all the time to buy and sell. Never an issue. Make sure the buyer/seller is reputable and stop stressing.

Quoted from yancy:

It works until it doesn't.

Pretty much this. It's a "tinfoil hat" until they take your money back. Happened to me once, haven't used it since, won't use it again.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Pretty much this. It's a "tinfoil hat" until they take your money back. Happened to me once, haven't used it since, won't use it again.

That's why you use it for ONLY people you know very well - friends you've built up in the hobby doing business with them for years. No way I'd do PayPal blindly for the full balance.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Who's "they"? Reputable buyers and sells off of pinside or randoms the accents and google phone accounts off of mr_pinball classifieds?

If you have half a brain you can avoid getting burned. Every form of payment has potential for scams other than cash on glass (could still be counterfeit) but you drastically limit your buying and selling options with cash unless you drive hours.

In the next decade I wouldn't be surprised if we were a cashless society.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Every form of payment has potential for scams other than cash on glass (could still be counterfeit)

Even with cash on the glass, you have the potential to be scammed. Let’s say you sell an $8,000 pin. Are you gonna go through all 80 of those 100 dollar bills and verify there’s no counterfeits? There are some ultra realistic looking counterfeit bills out there. The chances of that happening are pretty slim to none, but it could happen
    10A4569A-7940-454A-B150-5BA1F2D01306 (resized).jpeg10A4569A-7940-454A-B150-5BA1F2D01306 (resized).jpeg

#33 5 years ago

I’ve used both PayPal and google pay many times without any issues both buying and selling. As the seller I have in the past turned down escrow.com because if I’m selling a game and someone doesn’t want to take the initiative to pick it up then they take responsibility for anything happening during shipping. The last thing you want is someone shipping your game and it gets damaged during shipping and they refuse to pay you so you’re stuck with a broken game in another city or state and no money. The person requesting the shipping should always be responsible for damage incurred during shipping. Just my 2 cents.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Who's "they"? Reputable buyers and sells off of pinside or randoms the accents and google phone accounts off of mr_pinball classifieds?
    If you have half a brain you can avoid getting burned. Every form of payment has potential for scams other than cash on glass (could still be counterfeit) but you drastically limit your buying and selling options with cash unless you drive hours.
    In the next decade I wouldn't be surprised if we were a cashless society.

In my case, PayPal took it and returned it to the buyer/scammer. I sold some stuff on Ebay, shipped with both insurance and tracking. The buyer claimed with PayPal it never arrived. I submitted my receipt with their zip code, my credit card statement, and the delivery conformation. Since I didn't send it signature confirmed there was "not enough evidence" to deny his claim and the money was returned and my stuff was gone. That was the last time I sold anything on Ebay and took PayPal from someone I didn't know.

It's not about what you do unfortunately, it's about the case the other person can make and the luck of the draw with PayPal who is notorious for siding with buyers. I'll take my chances with the counterfeit cash over some dude in a call center making 10 bucks an hour reading a script at PayPal who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

I'm honestly not trying to start world war 3 over PayPal, other people taking it has no impact on my life so go nuts, but just don't mistake taking steps to protect yourself mislead you into thinking there's a 0% chance you'll lose money when you're not the only party involved.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

In my case, PayPal took it and returned it to the buyer/scammer. I sold some stuff on Ebay, shipped with both insurance and tracking. The buyer claimed with PayPal it never arrived. I submitted my receipt with their zip code, my credit card statement, and the delivery conformation. Since I didn't send it signature confirmed there was "not enough evidence" to deny his claim and the money was returned and my stuff was gone. That was the last time I sold anything on Ebay and took PayPal from someone I didn't know.
    It's not about what you do unfortunately, it's about the case the other person can make and the luck of the draw with PayPal who is notorious for siding with buyers. I'll take my chances with the counterfeit cash over some dude in a call center making 10 bucks an hour reading a script at PayPal who doesn't have a dog in the fight.
    I'm honestly not trying to start world war 3 over PayPal, other people taking it has no impact on my life so go nuts, but just don't mistake taking steps to protect yourself mislead you into thinking there's a 0% chance you'll lose money when you're not the only party involved.

Ebay is your problem, not PayPal. They screwed me and I fought them. I posted a thread about it and I won.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Ebay is your problem, not PayPal. They screwed me and I fought them. I posted a thread about it and I won.

It was a PayPal dispute and all contact through PayPal. Sounds like you had the opposite experience which explains our differing views on it.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Even with cash on the glass, you have the potential to be scammed. Let’s say you sell an $8,000 pin. Are you gonna go through all 80 of those 100 dollar bills and verify there’s no counterfeits? There are some ultra realistic looking counterfeit bills out there. The chances of that happening are pretty slim to none, but it could happen

you can get one of those counterfeit pens and check the cash.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

you can get one of those counterfeit pens and check the cash.

https://blog.fraudfighter.com/bid/78235/Why-Counterfeit-Pens-Can-t-Detect-Fake-Money

If someone wants to scam you, they can scam you. Does everyone here use one of those counterfeit pens? Do you check every single bill in a large transaction? I’ll be honest and admit I never have. Luckily to my knowledge, I’ve never been scammed. I’d advise anyone to avoid any deal you don’t feel comfortable with. If there are any red flags pointing to a possible scam, avoid the deal and move on. The best way to make deals are to deal with reputable sellers/buyers and check their feedback.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

https://blog.fraudfighter.com/bid/78235/Why-Counterfeit-Pens-Can-t-Detect-Fake-Money
    If someone wants to scam you, they can scam you. Does everyone here use one of those counterfeit pens? Do you check every single bill in a large transaction? I’ll be honest and admit I never have. Luckily to my knowledge, I’ve never been scammed. I’d advise anyone to avoid any deal you don’t feel comfortable with. If there are any red flags pointing to a possible scam, avoid the deal and move on. The best way to make deals are to deal with reputable sellers/buyers and check their feedback.

Every cash on glass transaction I’ve had the seller literally hands me a sealed bank note envelope like US Bank, Bank of America, etc and I open it and count it. I’ve always worried about fake cash but I have no idea how I would check it.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Don't forget to pay taxes on all those games sold!

Bwahaha!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

So after reading all this, What does everyone suggest other than "Cash on the Glass" to protect yourself from getting scammed?

There are so many dangerous old wivestales in this thread, it's almost like 90% of the people want to see you get ripped off.

The ONLY way to sell and ship your $8,000 game out of state, is escrow.com

That's it.

Do not make another move until you read this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#42 5 years ago

Escrow.com eliminates all this.

Game doesn’t ship until escrow has funds from buyer and can’t be reversed. Very secure for a small fee. If you don’t feel comfortable with the buyer I highly recommend this service.

I’ve been involved in a couple shady cash on the glass transactions where my main concern was not getting mugged and robbed.

Pick your poison!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There are so many dangerous old wivestales in this thread, it's almost like 90% of the people want to see you get ripped off.

The ONLY way to sell and ship your $8,000 game out of state, is escrow.com

That's it.

Do not make another move until you read this thread:

Thank You

2 years later
    #44 3 years ago

PayPal has never Failed me.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Me neither

#46 3 years ago

I'll third that.

#47 3 years ago

Me too!

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Paypal fears your avatar name.

1 year later
    #49 1 year ago

After using PayPal reliably over the past year they just shut down my account permanently without giving any reason!

#50 1 year ago
    0C80D762-BA09-45AD-BEBC-E00DB55629BF (resized).jpeg0C80D762-BA09-45AD-BEBC-E00DB55629BF (resized).jpeg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-paypal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.