Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by 3rdaxis
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Has anyone used a component stereo system amplifier and connected it to the sound output of the pinball machine? I am thinking of trying this to enhance the sound. I have some older amplifiers that I thought would be good for this, I think they are approx 80-100 watt amplifiers which run of 120v. I think I read somewhere that people use low end car amplifiers? Any tips for how to do this and which is better?

The think I like about my old component amplifier is it will always power up in the same line in mode, vs. using a car stereo it may startup in FM mode?

What about the speakers what type is good to use and how to connect / disconnect them?

#2 12 years ago

You can do this. Just make sure that your receiver has a high level input. If you run car stereo equipment, you will need a high powered 12 volt dc source. (not recommended use AC equipment instead)

I would run the speaker outputs of the pinball into the receiver. Make sure the speakers can handle the power output of the amp that you will be using.

I have personally done this with a home subwoofer.

Good luck

#3 12 years ago

Another way to do it if your stereo doesn't have a high level input is to feed the pin's speaker wires into a line level converter. These convert the signal back down to RCA so you can then feed them into your stereo. I have seen them for as little as $5 and over $150 depending on features/quality.

#4 12 years ago

I do not understand why they need to be so loud? My room gets very noisy after the third pin is on. I have never thought they needed to be louder and I like everything loud.

Whay amplify the pins?

#5 12 years ago

The amp in the game is probably fine for most, but better speakers can make a difference. Realistically, the sampling and sophistication of the audio in all but the most recent games is pretty low.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I do not understand why they need to be so loud? My room gets very noisy after the third pin is on. I have never thought they needed to be louder and I like everything loud.
    Whay amplify the pins?

I would only amplify the bass. The mids and highs are plenty loud on the newer machines.
    Nothing better then feeling the bass!

#7 12 years ago

Quality audio never does me much good with ringing anyhow. Probably why I do not care much about quality.

#8 12 years ago

I think you'll get more out of putting better speakers in the pin (one of the ever popular speaker mods). Putting in a fancy amp behind the crap speakers is sorta like putting turbo chargers on a lawnmower engine, ya know?

I've heard that after putting in those speaker mods, some people have rigged up their pin to play music (not sure quite how, but I want to know...)

1 year later
    #9 11 years ago

surround sound or STEREO SURROUND. Also multiple tables output from1 machine with an equalizer no need for fancy speakers that have filters built in.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

surround sound or STEREO SURROUND. Also multiple tables output from1 machine with an equalizer no need for fancy speakers that have filters built in.

Uhm, this was a year ago...

8 months later
    #11 10 years ago

Putting an amplifier on the back box speakers or the whole setup will improve the sound dramatically. Just as important as upgraded speakers, its not about volume but clarity. Putting a 1000 watt amp on will surly increase your volume sure but more importantly this will also increase sound quality overall. Under powered speakers have a hard time reaching the frequency range from high to low leaving a midrange mess in-spite of what quality speaker you have. It just can't get to where it needs to be quick enough. I would suggest any good home audio amp with a high level input this way you can have a "direct" set up without the need for a power supply or converter muddying up the sound.

#12 10 years ago

I've used something similar to this in several machines: ebay.com link: Hi Fi 2 1CH CD MP3 MP4 Stereo Audio Amplifier AMP Super Bass Music Power HX 168A
    Put in a set of Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speakers with this amp and you won't believe the difference. Wire the backbox speakers to the stereo outputs and the cabinet speaker to the bass output. You can then adjust the bass, treble and the bass output to the cabinet speaker. It is a vast improvement over just putting in quality speakers. You need a low level audio input though, which on a Williams machine I get by taking audio across R7 on the sound board.
    Try it you'll like it!

#13 10 years ago

Thanks for the link. I like the "Spuer bass" output lol. This is exactly what i am talking about. I have a Stern T3, not sure if there is a low output i can tap into. Have to look into it but yea, that gives you some nice options and plus now you won't be straining the on-board amp too. Looks tiny as well.

#14 10 years ago

Many threads on this subject. My perspective:

I'm an audio nut. If I had a music pin, a modern pin worthwhile I would go whole hog on upgrading the entire audio chain including speakers. Just to have a high fidelity sound on a pin. As someone else said once you get a few pins on the sound would kind of get lost among the others but it would be a cool experience when playing just one machine at a time.

Since my collection is exclusively 80s pins there's not much in the way of hi-fi interest to me. Most of this era are sufficient as stock, however, I could not resist adding a subwoofer to F-14 Tomcat just to enhance the explosions and rattle the place a little bit. It's a neat effect, and I just keep the volume boosted on those lows enough to enhance them. With a sub it's easy because almost all subwoofers are going to have a high level input that you can simply tap off the games speakers. You probably won't see that so much with consumer hi-fi or vintage amplifiers, so absolutely get a line level converter, unless you really know what you are doing it can be very easy to damage your game trying to hook up anything to your audio system.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-component-stereo-system-amplifier-and-speakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.