(Topic ID: 176982)

Using Blockchain technology to record bill of sale and track ownership

By atwong

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Not sure how many people on Pinside is aware of blockchain technology (think of it as a distributed ledger on the internet) and I was thinking of using it to record the bill of sales of my pins and if/when I do sell my pins, they can use it to track ownership over the course of time (each sale would have to be recorded in the blockchain / ledger). Do you think this would be of value to the pin community?

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are you familiar with this?
    http://www.ipsnd.net/

Yes. The difference is that no own "owns the ledger". Everyone has a copy and everyone can validate it themselves. If ipsnd were to disappear from the internet, all that great data would be gone. This ensures that as long as someone has a single copy, somewhere, the ledger can be copied, live on and grow.

I forgot to mention, another well known blockchain technology is bitcoin, which is a digital currency. They use it to track currency transfers from one individual to another even though the individual may be "virtual" or an alias.

#4 7 years ago

It seems like an interesting idea but I'm not sure what benefit it would have over something like the link forceflow shared.

What features do you see adding that could only be done on a blockchain?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from atwong:

Not sure how many people on Pinside is aware of blockchain technology (think of it as a distributed ledger on the internet) and I was thinking of using it to record the bill of sales of my pins and if/when I do sell my pins, they can use it to track ownership over the course of time (each sale would have to be recorded in the blockchain / ledger). Do you think this would be of value to the pin community?

I have a house & garage full of crap and possibly half a dozen receipts or bills of sale. Blockchain is just one more way to collect mostly useless data.

Show a concrete benefit and I'll reevaluate.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-blockchain-technology-to-record-bill-of-sale-and-track-ownership and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.