(Topic ID: 63297)

Using Arduino to modernize a 1971 EM machine... a Herculean task?

By NicoVolta

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bjmclrn
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D39F836E-7341-4F71-8F64-D2D9879C24E0 (resized).jpeg
    Coin Door Mounting Bolts.JPG
    InsertBack1.jpg
    MA-40001.JPG
    RPC2010.jpg
    Flipper 640.jpg
    flipper 640 broken.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reddogger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 10 years ago

I'm new to this whole Pinball thing, but I've got 30 years experience working with PLCs and realtime control systems.

I HATE(!) cutting existing cables. Once you start hacking something up, you introduce new, unknown problems. And you can't easily go back and uncut the cables.

If I wanted to tackle this, I'd remove the main board in the cabinet, get a new piece of plywood and see if I could get the pin connectors that connect the main board to the coin mech, PF and BackBox. Keep the all those parts at 24VAC.

The pin connectors then become your interface point. The coin mech is an Input device, the PF an I/O device and the back box an output device. Put your CPU and your 24VAC IO on the main board and connect them to the pin connector.

The advantage to this is that when (not IF!) you screw up, you can throw in the old main board and re-discover how the system should work. Also, if you want to sell the machine, you can sell it with the old board and keep your CPU system for a future project.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reddogger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-arduino-to-modernize-a-1971-em-machine-a-herculean-task?tu=reddogger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.