(Topic ID: 63297)

Using Arduino to modernize a 1971 EM machine... a Herculean task?

By NicoVolta

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bjmclrn
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D39F836E-7341-4F71-8F64-D2D9879C24E0 (resized).jpeg
    Coin Door Mounting Bolts.JPG
    InsertBack1.jpg
    MA-40001.JPG
    RPC2010.jpg
    Flipper 640.jpg
    flipper 640 broken.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 10 years ago

There will never be any more EMs made. Please don't screw up a remaining one by trying this.

If you know what you're doing and get an EM dialed in correctly, it will be reliable for a long long time. I've owned one game for 43 years and it plays just as well as the day I bought it. You think an SS is going to be able to do that 43 years later? I don't.

As for the retro KoD, yeah, it was a cool idea. Go play it, and you might change your mind. It doesn't play anywhere near as well as the EM version.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Crikes, cut the guy some slack. It's just pinball, if he owns it he can do what he wants with it.

This is true. In that case, what's the point in coming on an EM forum, a place where people love the old games, and telling us he wants to make an SS out of it?

The truth was spoken above. You want an EM/SS hybrid, buy a System 1. I own a S1, and that's exactly what it is.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

What are the main differences you noticed? Nothing was an improvement whatsoever?

Well, they made a four player out of it. Maybe that might be considered an improvement, in that it had the capabilities of playing like a single player wedgehead, but also to let four people play at one time. That has nothing to do, however, with the playability of the game.

If you grew up on EMs, it's just the feel of an EM game vs the feel of a SS game. They just don't play the same. For all the technology, the game played slower, to me, than the EM version. It had a "cobbled together" feel that just didn't do a thing for me. The intention and the idea was pretty cool, but the execution of it was not particularly good. EM reels click over. These just rolled. It's hard to put it into words, but if this was a meeting of old and new, then I prefer the old by itself, and the new by itself.

I'm trying to understand the mentality of buying not one, not two, but four EM games, with the complete understanding of what you were getting into, then complaining about the technology you found, and wanting to change it. If you want SS games, then that's where you should be.

I agree with Chris. This whole thread probably belongs in a restoration forum, not in an EM forum, because if you do what you intend to do here, the game won't be an EM, and as such, it won't belong here.

In my restoration experience, I've never had one game that I had to replace every single lamp socket. Some, yes. But even on one game where everything metal (stepper frames, relay frames, you name it) was rusty, most of the lamp sockets still worked fine and didn't require replacement. Unless that game was pulled from a lake, I'm having a real hard time understanding just how junky that game was. It had to be obvious. Why buy such a basket case, then complain about what you found?

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I love the old games too. In fact, more than the new modern ones.
    I'm here because this is an EM machine and the goal is to preserve the best parts of its character while giving it a bump in overall reliability.
    Will it be an EM after the conversion? Kind of. The goal is to do it in a way that you wouldn't even notice. Original reels would still be in place. Might keep the ball count stepper too just for the clack-clack noisemaking aspect of it.
    Think of it like a vintage cash register with a calculator inside. You'd still get the "ratchety-click-ker-chunk" tactile input, but internally it would do the math instantly and flawlessly. Would that be such a bad thing?

You can also put a modern four cylinder fuel injected turbocharged engine in a Model A. But would you do it? And would it make it better? Define "better."

The point is, these games are a snapshot of a place and time in history. It's not a matter of originality, because replacing all the parts is being done with the intent to keep their original character-you attempt to replace worn out/missing parts with parts that mimic the original as closely as humanly possible. That isn't at all what you're proposing to do here.

I don't want to speak for other people. It's your game, you certainly are within your rights to do it. Just don't expect those of us who grew up on these games and would like to keep them as close to what they were as possible to approve of it.

Sure, once in awhile, a bulb burns out, or you have to adjust a switch. So what? That's part of the charm and beauty of these games. Getting in there and finding and fixing the occasional issue is just as satisfying to some of us as a game that plays on and on forever with nary a problem. But that game hasn't been invented yet, either.

#101 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The mentality is this: I already owned three of them. After restoring all four, I know where most of my time went, and continues to go. Easy decision.
    Regarding the junky sockets... many "fixed" machines I see aren't operating at 100% brightness. Perhaps we have different standards.

I doubt that.

I've said my piece. Nothing more to be gained by repeating it. As has been said, good luck to you and your project. The rest of us simpletons will just have to live with our EM games as they are.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm glad you brought this up, because I think a lot of EM aficionados believe it's an "all or nothing" thing. It's not. It's a sliding scale. I've seen more than a few EM's lit up with colored LED lights by die-hard-wouldn't-change-a-thing fans which in my opinion looked totally inappropriate for the era.
    I see it more like this: Would a human with a machine heart be less human? What you're talking about is more like a robot FACE. That's not what I intend to do here.
    Fair enough. I confess I am a fan of resto-mods IF they are done with care. A 60's 'Vette with air conditioning in the Texas heat? Yeah... I'll take that option.

Putting LEDs in a game isn't even in the same ballpark as what you want to do here. It doesn't change the essense of the machine, and it's a modification that is easily reversed. Hell, I've done it, and I've taken them out and put the original bulbs back in, some I've left as is.

Yours will be neither.

I understand you think you'll own the game forever, and maybe you will. Some of us have an attachment to games for various reasons that won't allow us to let go of them. I have two of them like that. But others, you think you'll keep them for good, but you end up tiring of them after awhile and you look for something else.

Your Corvette analogy is false because 60s Vettes had factory air as an option-I should know, I grew up and rode in them with it. 1960s EMs did not have SS technology in them. So putting air in a 60s car that had the option of getting it from the factory is not in any shape or form the same as completely changing what is essentially the operating system of the game. It wasn't available at the time, and changing it changes the entire nature of the game.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Well said... but what if it didn't come as a factory option... and what if it didn't completely change the nature of the game by adding it?
    Using your earlier car analogy, what if a 60's Vette was fitted with a hybrid engine which was carefully engineered to deliver the same power, the same throttle response, the same vibration and engine roar. Basically to the point of where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference without looking under the hood. Your "experience" of the machine would be exactly the same.
    Would that be a success? I guess I fall on the side of saying yes. *shrug* that's really the only difference. Preserving the "spirit" of the machine is just as important to me.

You're completely missing the point, but that's ok.

As for your Corvette idea, just do this for me. Go on a Corvette forum and propose exactly what you just wrote here.

I would wager that the response you get in return will be very similar to the response you've gotten here.

You mentioned Mecum Auctions. Let me ask you this. If you put your modified Corvette up for auction via Mecum, and I put up the same car with the original powerplant in it-who do you think is going to get the higher sell price? And why?

Again, if you want to do this for you, well, it's your right. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you think most long term EM guys are going to like it, or approve of it. That's basically it in a nutshell.

#117 10 years ago

The Retro KoD was a nice piece of engineering, but to me it fell short because of playability issues. The overlay certainly didn't help, although it obviously helped keep the price down.

On purely a cosmetic front, I didn't like the marriage of a wedgehead backbox with a current day deep cabinet. I realize why they did it, to be able to put the multiplayer aspect into it, but I felt from an esthetic point of view, it was a failure. As an old time EM guy, I wasn't thrilled with the modern front door, although again, I understood why it was done. You have to use what you can get.

So, it didn't, to me, play with the pop of the early SS games, or even the Williams DC games, but neither did it truly have the feel of playing an EM that has SS guts. It's hard to describe that, but that's what I came away with.

I was seriously considering at some point trying to get the money to buy one, but I was hesitant. An EM plays like an EM. SS/DMDs play differently. I didn't know where this was going to fall. So finally I got to play it at the PHOF and I was so glad I didn't jump into it. I played a couple of games and walked off. I truthfully was more interested in playing some of the old, tired EMs in there than this game. It just did nothing for me.

It's sad because it was a great idea, but somewhere between the idea and the execution it came up short.

#121 10 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I know where you are coming from, and unfortunately for us, your opinion was not in the minority.

From day one, I started the project with one focus, and that was to use as many off the shelf components as possible. Keep in mind this all began back in 2000 when only one "Reliable" source for large quantities of parts existed (Stern). Unfortunately, that included the Stern cabinet since originally, Stern was to supply all of our parts. Unfortunately, that never happened and I had to redesign the cabinet to use Gottlieb hardware. At that point, time did not allow us to go back and do it as a true wedge head cabinet that many would have liked to see.
    In retrospect, I would have done one of three things different (and in this order):
    1. Never undertaken the project in the first place.2. Remade the game in its original form (normal cabinet etc.)3. Done a completely original playfield layout of my own design and contracted a known artist for an original artwork package.
    What? You didn't like our Shinny new door? LOL

Coin Door Mounting Bolts.JPG 156 KB

The one I played, I certainly don't remember the door looking like that. It was black IIRC. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I give Herb and crew all the credit in the world for having the vision, and the balls, to give this a try. I had huge hopes for it, because I understand that a properly programmed SS game is really nice to play.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what was wrong with it. It may be that it was not possible for it to meet my expectations, because I was expecting it to play exactly like the EM version, with the fact that it is really an SS game being totally invisible. In retrospect, that's a pretty tough standard.

It was kind of a fusion between the playfield of the old game and the externals (meaning the cabinet and the front door etc) of a modern Stern game. I was probably looking for that old door and the small red start button and all the rest. Maybe I was unfair and didn't give the game enough chances. Certainly there's been other games I played at first that I didn't like and they grew on me.

I had hopes for it because it was a chance for pinball to go back to what the old EM guys really think that pinball is, without the ramps and the toys and the TV screens and all the rest-just you and the flippers and the balls. No magic saves, none of that other stuff. So I wanted it to work. For some reason, it just didn't.

#122 10 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Herb was getting around $3495 for a ground up restored KOD at the time. But the masses wouldn't pay $3495 for the hybrid. When all was said and done, it cost a lot more to build them then you would think.
    I designed the custom reels but the hardware was all made over in Taiwan. We only contracted for exactly what was needed so unfortunately, I don't believe there are any extras. I wish there were since I would love to have them for future projects. I don't even know if the mold for the plastic reel drum is still available to make more. But the minimum run for the reel would probably be 1000 or more.

Anyone who has toured Stern's factory knows the labor intensive job it is to build a game. And Stern charges more than Herb was asking for this game.

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Good information.
    I had on idea for Gottlieb SS transitional pins like Joker Poker, Sinbad, Charlies Angels, etc. that with those Score Wheels, Credit Wheel, and Chimes you could have an EM/SS Hybrid. A modified Pascal Board could then run the whole show making room in the Head thus having an SS that looks like an EM that would be sold as a kit. If more room was needed there is also a ton of Cabinet space available to move the board there.
    Just a thought I had, but I'm not moving on it, just planting a seed for someone who might think the idea would work and be profitable enough to make it happen.
    Ken

It's a hell of an idea. The System 1 games are really a true hybrid EM/SS already. You take the head off and don't let anyone look under the hood and they never would know. The playfields on all the early SS games were still very EM like.

The one thing I do think SS games have over the EMs, though, are the displays. EM score reels are the source of much agony and frustration for all of us. The KoD reels were EM like but they functioned differently, as I said before. They didn't click over like true EM reels, they kind of rolled. Who knows, in time, maybe I like that more.

#128 10 years ago

A proven EM layout with SS architecture is basically what the Retro KoD was. KoD is one of the all timers.

It can become repetitive because you get drawn into smacking away on that roto carriage, though. It's still a fun game. I had one and I traded it out for something else, mainly because mine needed more restoration work than I wanted to put into it at the time.

Ken, it's a great idea, but we'll have to get someone to rerun the glasses, too. Unfortunately I don't think the SS glasses would work real well with the EM style reels. But there are a lot of S1 games out there, so if you got enough people to buy such a kit, someone would come forward with a repro. Hell, you might be able to get bgresto to do them modified, they modify glasses now.

#136 10 years ago

I'll fully admit that the last few posts went completely over my head. Fascinating stuff.

I can sort of understand where Jack is going, though. Hell, EM reels aren't always accurate using the equipment they were designed to operate with. They skip, they miss, you name it. When they're dialed in well right they do pretty well but given how quickly the ball can move through scoring places on the playfield, it's understandable that they miss a few.

I've got a Bally Surfers that with 50v bumpers nested close together, plays a lot like DC bumpers. They're fast. I can't watch them, but I always wonder how many points get missed when that ball is flying around inside those three bumpers.

3 months later
    #145 9 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Update: I'm keeping it original. No conversion to SS. What was I thinking?!?
    After restoring a *fifth* EM, I guess a relay clicked in my cerebellum. It said, "Keep it original. Don't reinvent the wheel. Build upon the past... but don't destroy it. Start over and make something new."
    Case closed. I'm getting good at this restoration business. Might as well stick with it.
    Main lesson learned? Be patient and take breaks. EM restoration is a meticulous thing... very Zen-like. In the beginning I just wanted things to hurry up and work, to my frequent frustration. Nowadays I see the restoration and troubleshooting process itself as the goal. Ommmmm... pinball meditation.
    New project: Build a Gottlieb wedgehead from scratch using an old cabinet and new art and tech. Nothing destroyed in the process and still plenty of opportunities to experiment and learn cool new things along the way. I'm going to use the same basic layout as most classic EM's... just with SS stuff under the hood.
    Win win.

What you're going to do here is what Herb did with KoD. Good luck.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-arduino-to-modernize-a-1971-em-machine-a-herculean-task?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.