(Topic ID: 63297)

Using Arduino to modernize a 1971 EM machine... a Herculean task?

By NicoVolta

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bjmclrn
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D39F836E-7341-4F71-8F64-D2D9879C24E0 (resized).jpeg
    Coin Door Mounting Bolts.JPG
    InsertBack1.jpg
    MA-40001.JPG
    RPC2010.jpg
    Flipper 640.jpg
    flipper 640 broken.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

*gasp* is this heresy?!?

Yes

#14 10 years ago

It's not that some of us don't respect your ambition. If I weren't an Em pinball guy I may applaud you for your efforts. It's just the sacrifice made for the experiment that is unnerving. Every year there are a few less original machines to go around. Their not making any more of them. True Em fans would never think of doing something like this. It's not just an old pinball to many if us but a piece of history celebrating our favorite artists and designers. We really love the ding of the bells, smell of ozone, clickity clack of the score motor and the kerchunk of a reset bar. It's part of what gives these old machines some romance and charisma. If it's a little rough and you can't live with it we would all be more than happy to see that same effort put into a proper restoration.

Disclaimer: If it's completely blown out, water logged rusty turd go for it.

Alex

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

Just curious but could a whole sound system from an SS machine not just be wired into an EM? You'd have to manually wire up all the triggers but should be fairly simple and even non-destructive if done carefully. The hardest thing to do would be to reprogram the sound chip to put out whatever sounds tickled your fancy.
    Or what about taking a sound card out of a Italian EM?

You could. There were aftermarket sound cards made by Wico for Em machines. With that said there was just a discussion about early SS machines that still had a chime unit. It seemed a lot people liked that.
    Alex

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

some of you guys are really over dramatic

Nah, we're just passionate with a respect for history. Bottom line is everyone is welcome to do whatever they want with their own machine. You don't need approval. I don't think the OPs intent is to make anyone upset. His project is well intentioned but guys that truly love this stuff have very strong opinions.
    Alex

#44 10 years ago

The difference is in the old days operators used to haul their off route games to the dump. Other than Chucky Cheese I doubt many modern operators destroy their equipment.
    Alex

1 week later
    #72 10 years ago

That's one of the many reasons we love these things. Often times a neglected machine that has sat unused for decades can be brought back to life with little more than some patience, thorough cleaning and adjusting. Bringing an em back from the dead is great feeling. It's fun, rewarding and addictive.

6 months later
    #82 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Heresy? Yeah. I guess so. But after I'm done I'm hoping this machine will run for a very long time with a fraction of the usual maintenance.

The machine has existed for 53 years and can continue to run indefinitely with simple routine maintenance. You're going to turn it into a one off science experiment to add reliability?

#103 10 years ago

You could get a 60s Vette with factory air.

Maybe your just frustrated? I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who could help you dial in your EMs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-arduino-to-modernize-a-1971-em-machine-a-herculean-task?tu=alexf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.