(Topic ID: 63297)

Using Arduino to modernize a 1971 EM machine... a Herculean task?

By NicoVolta

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bjmclrn
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D39F836E-7341-4F71-8F64-D2D9879C24E0 (resized).jpeg
    Coin Door Mounting Bolts.JPG
    InsertBack1.jpg
    MA-40001.JPG
    RPC2010.jpg
    Flipper 640.jpg
    flipper 640 broken.jpg
    There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #152 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

See? It wasn't total insanity/laziness...

Super cool to hear the backstory; I had no idea! I every now and then think about doing something similar to what the Stars 2020 project turned out to be, but for EM. I'm surprised no one has really done this. Not saying it SHOULD be done, but surprised I haven't seen more posts like this! Anyways, thanks for sharing Nico and keep doing the Lord's work. ;P

#153 3 years ago

hi,
    Thats the correct link. As for the pin connections they are completely reconfigurable so use whatever suits. As i said now working on a Gottlieb duotron. I am consireding haveing a seperate arduino as the switch controller, although this add a processors it means it would be easy to have a switch scanning matrix as per latter gottlieb machines. I would like to point out this solution is not a replacement for existing Gottlieb solidstate machines but a one off. for updates to existing machines i think there a lot of board options out there. The plan for the future is a single board solution this will reduce the wiring even more, just need to find a whiz kid with pcb design experience to help, will look for kids doing college projects on electronic design must be lots out there. The second arduino which controls the flipper, chimes and knocker works really well, very pleased with that.

#154 3 years ago

I've got plans for a tattered A-Go-Go. Just getting into the basics of arduino stuff. Hopefully I can dedicate some time soon. This has been an insightful thread!

Oh, and I'm guessing nobody will be screaming bloody murder over losing an A-Go-Go?

#155 3 years ago

hi,
    Great news found my ideal single board solution its called cobrapin the guy has already raised funds so hopfully it will be in production soon. Although i will continue with an arduino IDE based solution. He is using the STM 32 board known as blue pill, i have one and have already loaded the arduino stuff and a slightly modified version of my software. This was the way i was thinking off. Have a look guys i think this could really change the way we can save playfield and have these machines playing again.

#156 3 years ago

Cobrapin! Truly exciting concept. Appears to be ultra efficient and yet very capable... and affordable!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1862357036/cobrapin-pinball-controller

#157 3 years ago

Hi,
    And it looks as if you can have a number of different solutions. mine will be Arduino based, others will be OPP based plus others. Pays your money and make your choice. I thing mine is the way to go ( i would say that) if you want to have an 1970's em style backglass either with real reels or with a tv like mine. But hey there are some really clever people out there the more the better. Keep up the good work guys who knows the old machines may come back big all we need now are the old biking cafes, coffee and a few beers.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-arduino-to-modernize-a-1971-em-machine-a-herculean-task/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.