3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.05.11 PM (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

I found a broken wire causing my drop target bank to not work correctly, but I don't yet have any soldering equipment. Attaching an alligator clip wire between the two appropriate lugs solves the problem. I played a couple games like this and everything seemed to work as it should.

However, I get the feeling this should not be a long term solution. Is there any harm I could do to the machine using this method?

Re: the attached picture... The yellow wire I'm holding should be attached from 'A' to 'B'. It is now attached to 'A', but has broken off of 'B'. After adding the black alligator clip wire from 'A' to 'B', the problem has been solved, and no obvious negative effects. But I'm concerned that maybe there's a reason not to do this that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for any insight!

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.05.11 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.05.11 PM (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

Go get soldering tools.

Those things can stay clipped and also they might not, putting pretty strong voltage into who knows where. Also that wire probably is too thin of gauge.

#3 3 years ago

Solder that bad boy ASAP.
    A lot of good advice on cost effective soldering irons with a quick forum search
    Essential.

#4 3 years ago

Alligator clips don't belong in your pinball game.

Hundreds of mods you alligator clip in don't belong in your pinball game.

They are GREAT for diagnosing problems as you've found, but that's what they should be used for.

#5 3 years ago

Youtube is littered with short how to videos. How to solder, heat a joint, flow solder. The problem you have there is an easy fix for a beginner.

Easier than when that alligator clip comes off and short something. Then you might get an introduction to fuses or board repair.

LTG : )

#6 3 years ago

Alright, glad I asked! Thanks for the replies. I guess now’s as good a time as any to learn to solder.

#7 3 years ago

If it is not original, most likely, it does not belong.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-alligator-clips-to-bypass-a-broken-wire?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.