Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SmartSelect_20220910-091435_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello!

Wondering if it's ok to use a Williams 850 coil, like the one attached, in my Xenon? One of the pop-bumper coils is fried and my spare Williams coil looks to be the same size but wasn't positive if it would be compatible?

Thanks!!

SmartSelect_20220910-091435_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220910-091435_Chrome (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Whats the coil # on the original?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Whats the coil # on the original?

AN-26-1200 is what's written on the Bally coil

#4 1 year ago

Not sure I'd use that one. It will work but I think the Williams coils will be significantly stronger than the bally having so few windings compared to the original.

You want to match the resistance specs of a coil and the bally is about twice the Williams'. They don't need to be exact, but the closer the better.
Your Bally is about 10 and the Williams is about 4.5.

https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html can help you figure out what's close

#5 1 year ago

Thank you! I'll just order the same spec coil to play it safe. Was just seeing if what I had around would work the same.

#6 1 year ago

I'm not going to lie to you, when a pinball is at a bar, and they've called you out on a Saturday night at 11:00 PM because they've still got four hours until closing...

I've put 23-800's in a pinball where I pulled a 26-1200.

This is known generally as a 'bad thing'.

It'll work, but it's too strong. You'll have premature failure of the pop bumper ring and in particular the steel link that connects the plunger of the coil to the pop bumper ring will be broken, possibly as early as next week. (Yeah, you know how I know this...)

For home use, I'd recommend putting the correct coil value into your pin. Good decision.

#7 1 year ago

If I can get away with it, while I wait for the correct coil, I always put in one with higher resistance that's as close as possible. Sometimes it's fine other times it's just too weak. And of course if it's physically fried due to a closed switch or shorted transistor that has to be addressed first. If it's fried due to a broken coil winding wire that sometimes can be repaired if there is enough of it hanging out of the bobbin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-a-williams-coil-in-an-early-bally-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.