New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275300)

Using a Stern cabinet to install Williams Earthshaker

By tomtest

65 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by tomtest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6639 (resized).JPG
IMG_8287 (resized).JPG
IMG_5986 (resized).JPG
IMG_5982 (resized).JPG
IMG_5983 (resized).JPG
IMG_5980 (resized).JPG
IMG_5981 (resized).JPG
IMG_2480 (resized).JPG
IMG_3197 (resized).JPG
IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
IMG_5090 (resized).JPG
IMG_5979 (resized).JPG
IMG_2479 (resized).JPG
IMG_2119 (resized).JPG
IMG_1942 (resized).JPG

#1 65 days ago

So I bought an Earthshaker from a Pinsider that had a new CPR playfield in it but the cabinet was rough, pulled it out of my Honda Crv onto my Harbor Freight lift and was making a sharp turn in my driveway and the damn thing toppled off from 3' high, hitting the backbox and separating the corner and fell against the CRV($900 later), so I posted looking for a used cabinet but no luck but then a guy had a new Stern Ghostbusters cabinet he would sell so I had it shipped in(not knowing there was no backbox with it. I didn't want to use the old backbox so I bit the bullet and built a new one out of first grade poplar, there is very little room for error and the measurements must be extremely close to the factory one. As far as the cabinet goes the dimensions are the same width, length and height. The flipper buttons are maybe 3/8" different and if one were using WPC rails the flipper holes could be used but since ES rails have the flipper holes in them you either have to bondo the holes and drill new ones or enlarge them and use a thin washer on the inside, the shooter hole is the same, the Stern start button hole could be used as-is except the the coin door decal mandates that the hole be lined up with the spiral printing so bondo the old one and drill a new one, below the start button hole is a square hole that has to be filled. The coin door hole is fine. The speaker hole is an 8" so make a plate for your 6" speaker of go to an 8". The Stern hinge holes must be filled and new ones drilled since the Williams hinges are smaller, although you could just use Stern hinges. On the Stern cabinet the wiring is split with half coming up the right side and half the left side, Williams comes all up the center, I elected to come up the center so I cut a new hole between the two captive nuts that bolt the backbox to the cabinet, it does not weaken the cabinet enough to make a difference. There are 3 small 3/4" x 8" strips that must be removed at the rear of the cabinet in order for the System 11 playfield to open and lower. I'll strip and paint the coin door in the near future. Ultimately it was a lot of work and a good experience but please don't send me any orders.

IMG_1185 (resized).JPGIMG_1546 (resized).JPGIMG_6639 (resized).JPGIMG_8287 (resized).JPGIMG_2480 (resized).JPGIMG_1942 (resized).JPGIMG_3197 (resized).JPGIMG_2479 (resized).JPGIMG_5090 (resized).JPGIMG_3351 (resized).JPGIMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_5979 (resized).JPGIMG_5980 (resized).JPGIMG_5981 (resized).JPGIMG_5982 (resized).JPGIMG_5983 (resized).JPGIMG_5986 (resized).JPGIMG_5987 (resized).JPGIMG_5988 (resized).JPGIMG_5989 (resized).JPGIMG_5990 (resized).JPGIMG_5991 (resized).JPGIMG_5992 (resized).JPGIMG_5993 (resized).JPGIMG_5994 (resized).JPG
#2 65 days ago

Awesome work!
Sternshaker!

#3 65 days ago

i love this! so the playfield fits and sits as it should?

#4 65 days ago

Nice work!!! Building a cab from mixed manufacturers is not always the easiest.

#5 65 days ago

Looks like a great job. Just out of curiosity, why did you decide against just building a new WPC cabinet from scratch? Based on the job you did on the head you clearly have the skill/tools to do it and do it well.

#6 64 days ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i love this! so the playfield fits and sits as it should?

Yes sir it does.

#7 64 days ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

Looks like a great job. Just out of curiosity, why did you decide against just building a new WPC cabinet from scratch? Based on the job you did on the head you clearly have the skill/tools to do it and do it well.

Well for $150 for a brand new cabinet I figured it would save a lot of work and would not save that much money, although I was considering it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gresham, OR
3,100 (Firm)
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plymouth, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside