(Topic ID: 320696)

Using a double laboratory source for bench testing.

By DrChrys

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hello all. I want to test a WPC CPU 89 outside the game for easy access. I will buy a double laboratory source which will deliver DC, 0-32 V and 0-3 A on 2 separate circuits. I want to connect those wires to J210. If I get this right, I should connect ground to pin 1 and 3, +5VDC to pin 4 and 5 and +12VDC to pin 6 and 7. Correct me if I am wrong here. My big question is what is the amperage? Would 1 Amp be enough or should I go higher? Do I have to go more than 3 A... in this case I have to buy a different source which can deliver up to 5 A. Thank you.

#2 1 year ago

Hello.Any tech guru online to answer my question? Thanks a lot.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from DrChrys:

Hello.Any tech guru online to answer my question? Thanks a lot.

3 amps is easily enough
    IIRC it the CPU board takes a few 100mA

#4 1 year ago

Thank you.

#5 1 year ago

You don't really need a dual voltage power supply.

5V at 3A is more than enough for most MPUs you will be testing.

I use a small 5V 3A plug pack type switching supply worth about $5 - your concept is overkill unless you intend testing/repairing professionally?

#6 1 year ago

I am only doing it as a hobby but I like to be prepared. I used some connectors and wires and measure the amperage in game. In case someone needs the values, for the 5V circuit I got 500 mA (0.5 A) and for the 12 V circuit I got 4.1 mA.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from DrChrys:

I am only doing it as a hobby but I like to be prepared. I used some connectors and wires and measure the amperage in game. In case someone needs the values, for the 5V circuit I got 500 mA (0.5 A) and for the 12 V circuit I got 4.1 mA.

Your measurements are next to useless useless we know a LOT more detail:

What board are we talking about?
    What else was connected to it when measured?
    What parts have been replaced on this measured board (some compatible parts that might have been used in a repair draw more current than others even at idle)?

Many more things.................

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

What board are we talking about?

The first sentence in the original post says they're working on a WPC CPU 89. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that measurements were made at connector J210 (mentioned above) on the CPU board.

Those readings sound about right. Don't go over 1 amp on either. If a component goes bad on the CPU, it can draw considerably more and/ or blow a fuse. I'm assuming you're working with a known good CPU board. J210 comes from the factory with 18 gauge wire. Probably can get away with smaller on the bench, but best to stick with factory.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The first sentence in the original post says they're working on a WPC CPU 89. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that measurements were made at connector J210 (mentioned above) on the CPU board.

Sure, I agree with your assumption but there are still too many unanswered questions.

Is this an original PCB with all original parts or have some chips been replaced? If some HCT ICs have been replaced with LS types or vice versa, this would change the current draw overall. Same issue if the RAM has been replaced with NVRAM or a different brand RAM.

It's nice to have a ballpark figure but the trouble with that is you will then have some people chasing a 'magical' figure (in this case) of 500ma when their board might draw 550ma or even 480ma and be perfectly normal.

#10 1 year ago

I appreciate your enthusiasm!

I guess the question is, how much of this kind of work are you planning on doing?

If you are only working on your own machines, you can do a quick go no-go test with +5v and +12v, I use a twenty year old arcade power supply, but I've used an old computer power supply to do the same thing. Your 0-30V dual supply is great for this, because you'll rarely find yourself needing more than an amp or two of +5v and less than that on the +12v.

Then you just use your machine to test everything else, because your machine will have all the voltages you'll need to test it's boards.

If you are planning upon testing other people's boards and you don't have a machine to plug them into, then you can do some limited testing with a bench supply, but most people start thinking about finding a machine of that generation with a cabinet that is destroyed and salvage the wiring harness and all the boards.

So if they are working on WPC-89 boards, they have a complete set of WPC-89 boards and wiring. This allows you to fully test the suspect part in a known good system.

After a few more years you end up with a complete test system for System 11 pinballs, Bally pinballs from the 80's, Gottlieb System 3's, Data East Pinballs, Stern Whitestar pinballs, etc...

It just depends upon how much you plan to do.

For your immediate question, yes, your supply will be just fine for a quick test to see if the LED's start blinking.

As for how much current... well, I mostly don't care. If the go no-go test gets the LED's blinking, and nothing gets obviously hot I just plug the board back into the machine (or my full-system test bench) and see if everything's working.

I can't think of any board I've worked on where I've made a point of writing down how much current something uses (OK, one board, an NSM Jukebox amplifier from the 70's that the schematic specified exact bias current to the base of the output transistors).

For pinballs pretty much anything that is using too much current will get hot, and THAT is what I check for. Checking if things get hot identifies the specific problem you've got. Trying to match expected current drain to a particular board sample... it just isn't too helpful in my troubleshooting. As the other poster's have suggested, there can be a lot of reasons why a particular board might be using more current without actually having any functional problem.

A lot of us have a dream of having a complete test bench for every pinball system we work on. With your nice benchtop power supply you are well on your way!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-a-double-laboratory-source-for-bench-testing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.