Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by legtod2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
    IMG_20220224_170114614 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220224_170037230 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I have build a Cobrapin homebrew pinball machine. For my General Illumination I needed a transformer that could provide me the 8VAC to power my lamps.

I found a doorbell transformer that appear to provide the voltage that I need (it actually give me the option of 8 VAC, 16 VAC and 24 VAC.)
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heathzenith-wired-door-chime-transformer-0528693p.html

I wired up the transformer and it work fine.

After a few mins of being on I noticed the transformer was very warm.

I'm 100% certain the wiring is correct but the heat of the transform concerns me.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is there a better alternative transformer available that will provide me the 8VAC that I need.

#2 2 years ago

What is the current capability of this transformer? How much current are you attempting to supply?

In other words, how many and what type of lamps are in your general illumination circuit?

#3 2 years ago

I looked up your transformer. Although it works, the maximum current it can output at 8v is 1.25 amps. This means that with all the GI turned on, it must not pull more than 1.25 amps. You'd have to calculate how many bulbs (Leds?) you are driving and then calculate maximum current pulled. If it can exceed the 1.25A of the transformer to be safe you should use a bigger transformer.

Let's say every led bulb pulls 0.02 Amps or so, to reach 1.25vA you could power 62 Leds.

A transformer getting warm is normal. Warm, not hot. If you did things correctly you will have fused both sides of the transformer and avoid any risks possible.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What is the current capability of this transformer? How much current are you attempting to supply?
    In other words, how many and what type of lamps are in your general illumination circuit?

10 VA is the 8VAC output of his transformer.

#5 2 years ago

a doorbell transformer is not large enough to handle a GI circuit long term. it is meant to fire a doorbell chime for 1/2 sec, not a continuous duty cycle, like a GI circuit. You need to find something that can handle 5 ish amps.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for all the replys. Any suggestions of step down transformer better suited for the job ?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

Thanks for all the replys. Any suggestions of step down transformer better suited for the job ?

Again, how many, and what type of lamps are you powering?

#8 2 years ago

MrBally: The playfield table of a William Phoenix GI lamps will be illuminated and 2 lamps for the coin door. A separate power supply for the DC controlled lamps is already working fine. The backglass is empty except for a tv screen.
    To be honest I'm not exactly sure of what that number is but a ball park guess is 20 lamps need to be driven by the transformer.

#10 2 years ago

Hammond still makes 110 to 6.3 vac transformers that handle 10-15 amps. But they have a bunch of models maybe you can find an 8vac one, I bought it through digikey or mouser. It was around 40 bucks. I have a shit load of comets bulb in my homebrews, I'm pulling about 6 amps with a meter.

For those using 6.3 don't underestimate the amp draw on a super bright bulb from comet it's just under a 47 bulb

#11 2 years ago

If you are running LEDs the cheap 5v switching power supplies can be used. Usually you can adjust them up to 5.5vdc which will light up a pinball LED bulb fine.

#12 2 years ago

There is nothing forcing me to stay with a AC driven General Ilumination solution with my 44 GE bulbs.

This is a homebrew machine so I can switch gears and move to a DC driven General Illumination and switch from bayonet bulbs to DC bayonet LED bulbs.

Since I might be a bit lazy, I was trying to find the path of least effort (in this case using a Doorbell chime transformer) to power my GI.

So if there is a good fit for a properly sized AC stepdown transformer that's not going to fail/burn down the house then I'd like to try it alternatively I can switch to a 5vdc solution.

#13 2 years ago

You seem pretty savvy, so what prevents you from using a second or more transformer and split the load?

#14 2 years ago

You can go AC or DC but I'm telling you straight up, just use a DC supply @ at least 2 amps and run Comet LEDs and don't worry about the "whys and what ifs"...

-->as corrected below, 2AMPS is not enough.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You can go AC or DC but I'm telling you straight up, just use a DC supply @ at least 2 amps and run Comet LEDs and don't worry about the "whys and what ifs"...

I'm drawing more than 2 amps at 6.3v with a playfield full of comets just on gi with ET, 2 amps won't cut it imo.

OP-just buy the Hammond transformer I did from digikey and close the thread. Then you can use incandescents in places too. Why limit yourself?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I'm drawing more than 2 amps at 6.3v with a playfield full of comets just on gi with ET, 2 amps won't cut it imo.
    OP-just buy the Hammond transformer I did from digikey and close the thread. Then you can use incandescents in places too. Why limit yourself?

That seems crazy high. Are you using single or double smd? If you want a classic look, single smd is the way to go.

Op should ask for advice, get it, then just do whatever the heck they want and not listen to anyone, it’s the Pinside way.

Also, I think you are misunderstanding “close the thread”. That’s not helping anyone who has a similar problem or question. In other words, let’s no do that…

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

That seems crazy high. Are you using single or double smd? If you want a classic look, single smd is the way to go.
    Op should ask for advice, get it, then just do whatever the heck they want and not listen to anyone, it’s the Pinside way.
    Also, I think you are misunderstanding “close the thread”. That’s not helping anyone who has a similar problem or question. In other words, let’s no do that…

Figure of speech there bud. Single smd, drawing 3.2 amps(just gi), thru leads, not a clamp on, Like I said people underestimate what the LEDs draw. So telling op to get a potential 2amp power supply is bad advice.

#18 2 years ago

I checked the original specs for the Williams Phoenix transformer. It used 6.3VAC for the GI circuit (not 8VAC). Opps.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Figure of speech there bud. Single smd, drawing 3.2 amps(just gi), thru leads, not a clamp on, Like I said people underestimate what the LEDs draw. So telling op to get a potential 2amp power supply is bad advice.

While I admit that was bad advice, can you put what model transformer you purchased here in the thread? I mean Digikey has a lot of transformers... was it this model: 167R6 @ $46? I would like others trying to solve the same problems be able to easily find what they need as well before we "close the thread".

#20 2 years ago

E50476 or F-22A? beer cap for size reference.
    IMG_20220224_170037230 (resized).jpgIMG_20220224_170037230 (resized).jpgIMG_20220224_170114614 (resized).jpgIMG_20220224_170114614 (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago

I must admit this thread has been educational and improved my understanding of General Illumination needs of a pinball machine.
    Certainly glad I consulted with the forum and abandoned the idea of using a doorbell transformer for my GI solution.
    Now have a better grasp on why it wasn't a good idea.

My home brew machine will be getting a 6.3vac transformer (10 or 20 amp) that's capable of pushing 30 bulbs and I'm going to splurge on purchasing some comet bulbs too.

Thank you all for talking the time for answering my questions

#23 2 years ago

While you're at it don't forget to splurge on some fuse holders and fuses, or you'll smoke that new transformer.

#24 2 years ago

Got my transformer today ((F-22A). Two black wires on one side and 3 Green wires on the other.

No directions per say. I am assuming the 2 black wires are the secondary side and the three thicker green wires are the primary (Hot, neutral, ground).

One of the three green wires has a yellow stripe.

I am accustomed to having a white wire, black wire, green wire on the primary side to tell me which wire is hot, neutral, and ground.

Am I correct in assuming the green wire with the yellow stripe is ground and the other two green wires are hot and neutral ?

Feel kinda stupid for asking such a simple question.

#25 2 years ago
    #26 2 years ago

That looks like a center tap transformer. You did not necessarily need one like that, but it should still work.

*edit RatShack beat me with a link*

Black = in. green = out. green+yel = center tap
    Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

i am not sure how they rate them if you are going to have 6v from center to each green or 12v across the entire output.

#27 2 years ago

I have this exact transformer apply your 110 to the black wires your green with the yellow is a half tap it's going to give you a little over 3 volts I chose this because in ET I switch all the lights over to half power to dim the lights during multi-ball and give you a night effect, the two green wires will give you your 6.3 AC

2 weeks later
    #28 2 years ago

Closing this thread by saying "Don't use a doorbell transformer to power your General Illumination". Yes it will give you the 6.3 VAC but it will run very hot and potentially cause you issues down the road.

When I hooked up the F-22A unit (presently powering my 23 playfield comet lamps) it ran cool to the touch even after a couple of mins running, where as when I had the doorbell transformer is grew very hot.

The hookup of this unit is 2 black wires are the input side (110 ac) and the 3 green wires are your output. The green and yellow is the center tap. Using the two solid green wires I connected one wire to my fuse block and both feed my GI lamps.

This unit (F-22A) will fit my needs in my homebrew pinball machine.

3 months later
    #29 1 year ago

Its been three months since I installed the F-22A transformer and comet led lamps. The pinball machine is used daily for the past 3 months with no issues. The transformer is cool to the touch. This setup has been working flawlessly with out heat build up and Comet GI lamps bright.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-a-doorbell-transformer-for-general-illumination?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.