Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    3850303_0 (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    45849B6C-07AD-421D-8828-ADE3BDBF1253 (resized).jpeg
    pinside-achievement (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B5C76FEB-C8DF-4B1B-8D73-CA4085D3C2E8 (resized).png
    FC2EAD6D-F7B8-4196-A5D1-8614B7E187D9 (resized).png
    award (3) (resized).png
    F24EB821-0B6F-45EF-AFF3-4EBBD6BBDD27 (resized).jpeg
    giphy (10).gif
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.57.21 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

Yes but he has a ton of useless fake internet points. I use the pinball map a lot too for locations to see what might be a unique game to put on location. I also use it to see how desirable or how many known owners there are of a game. Sucks that both of those could be bullshit for fake internet points.

That’s upsetting. I use the Pinside map for the same reason. I like to put games on location that aren’t available locally and collect ones that aren’t in collections nearby too

Quoted from robin:

The achievements system is just a fun incentive we came up with to promote other sections of Pinside (beside the forum). Nothing more, nothing less. If people indeed abuse this system then that's just really sad. Adding fake locations or temporarily adding games you don't own to your collection is really pathetic. it's the equivalent of setting high scores with the glass off. But there's not much we can do about this except remove the achievement and issue a warning. Next time, user will get a block (preventing any editing to our database).
    I sent out a PM to the Pinsider in question asking about his reasoning. Maybe it's all a misunderstanding (I hope). Meanwhile, I have deleted the achievements.
    Thanks to OP for reporting this and apologies to those who got excited about new nearby locations with pins.
    Finally a big shout out to all of you who keep the Pinside map updated with REAL locations!

I love the map system!

Full disclosure, I am a huge fanatic for editing map locations. The Pinside map is FAR superior to the pinball map in my opinion, however because pinball map has a handy app, it has a lot more data and user inputs it seems.

On boring days at home I have frequently opened split screen pinballmap.com and Pinside map and then I pick a random area (NYC is the best) and I go through cleaning up the map, removing old locations and adding new ones. Now I only add and verify new ones if I can find pictures online from their website, yelp or google reviews. If I don’t see pins or a place were games go in the listing, I won’t update or add it.
    It’s a lot of fun and it helps me when I go on vacation to these places and want to play. The Pinside map doesn’t get as much use as it should!!

Now perhaps maybe the ability to verify locations should be more limited or something? Kinda like how the machine database here can only have new machines added by specific users and certain aspects like the popular acronym is only accessible by a select group?
    Pinball map has admins that confirm and approve new locations. So perhaps this is in order for a future update?

The map is one of my favorite features on Pinside and the filtering and User Interface is just so clean and easy to use over the alternative, so I hope we can get this sorted! Also if you’re reading this I encourage you to edit your local locations and keep them updated! If I see a location that hasn’t been touched in 3 years or more that’s a good sign it needs to be re-evaluated and updated.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/users-gaming-the-pinside-achievement-system?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.