3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    3850303_0 (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    45849B6C-07AD-421D-8828-ADE3BDBF1253 (resized).jpeg
    pinside-achievement (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B5C76FEB-C8DF-4B1B-8D73-CA4085D3C2E8 (resized).png
    FC2EAD6D-F7B8-4196-A5D1-8614B7E187D9 (resized).png
    award (3) (resized).png
    F24EB821-0B6F-45EF-AFF3-4EBBD6BBDD27 (resized).jpeg
    giphy (10).gif
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.57.21 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 months ago

It became obvious the other day users are resorting to lying and faking stuff to simply get their pinside achievements. Can you believe people would stoop this low for what are worthless, buried, badges on pinside?

Locals noticed a ton of Pin Map edits happening in our area yesterday... at locations we all knew there were not pinball machines. People were like 'woah, times are a changing! it's everywhere!'. Turns out... no, it's just losers creating FAKE pin map entries on pinside so they can earn pinside achievements!

'Oh whats the big deal...' -- Well remember when people make suggestions like 'move pinwiki to pinside...' or 'there should be a price database...' etc. Well Pinside does have a lot of data.. and know what.. that data is followed by people and other systems. So when loser creates a bunch of FAKE entries to boost their own internal scoreboard.. they pollute that data.

So when you see stuff like this...
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.57.21 PM (resized).png

Know... it can be complete garbage. And in this user's case.. it was garbage.

The entries have been deleted now.. but the user wouldn't even face up to the questioning of their edits.

#4 3 months ago

giphy (10).gif

#8 3 months ago
    Quoted from flecom:

maybe I'm out of the loop (guaranteed) but what are these achievements and why do they matter?

See that trophy under your name? That's part of it.. but it doesn't really matter (IMO) but it's one of those things in pinside some like I guess but others ignore.
    The sad part is someone felt they needed to try to scam the system to bolster themselves in a meaningless points system.

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

This reminds me, I had someone PM me asking me to follow them specifically so they could get an achievement. I have had no interaction with the user previously, and the message system would not let me respond since the sender already deleted the message. What a tool.

I guess people have no shame...

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I always wonder why people feel strong enough to post about drama like this, but then protect the "losers" by not identifying them. Then we can have some more PIs investigate what other achievements they faked!

I'm not protecting anyone... I just felt the point was bigger than the individual. If I lead with a name, the response would be different because people have an existing perception about users.

#36 3 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

It looks like a lot of these recent additions to the Pinside map are from adding in location data from Pinballmap.com
    This may not be near as nefarious as some think

In this case... i reached out to the user... inquiring the reason behind the rash of edits in a region they aren't even associated with. They didn't reply. I reached out to robin to make sure it wasn't some automation gone awry and maybe associating to that user in error. He replied and confirmed it was not some automation issue. The locations then were deleted (again not by robin). User books a bunch of achievements that day... and does not reply to PM.

You make your own judgment...

#39 3 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

It looks like the achievements went away also.

Because robin intervened after my inquiry

#46 3 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Just doesn't seem like the work of a spammer/hacker/run of the mill Pinside A-hole

If I had to guess... people realized they could do this and win their virtual trophies and they thought it was completely transparent/harmless. Then the idea spreads to a few other users. Everyone thinks its 'harmless fun' and don't believe there are any consequences. But that belief is based on incomplete information...

They aren't spammer/hacker motivations... they are simply being selfish and either don't know, or don't care about the disruptions their 'innocent fun' causes. It's simple narcissism.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.95
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 259.99
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside