Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    3850303_0 (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    45849B6C-07AD-421D-8828-ADE3BDBF1253 (resized).jpeg
    pinside-achievement (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B5C76FEB-C8DF-4B1B-8D73-CA4085D3C2E8 (resized).png
    FC2EAD6D-F7B8-4196-A5D1-8614B7E187D9 (resized).png
    award (3) (resized).png
    F24EB821-0B6F-45EF-AFF3-4EBBD6BBDD27 (resized).jpeg
    giphy (10).gif
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.57.21 PM (resized).png
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

It became obvious the other day users are resorting to lying and faking stuff to simply get their pinside achievements. Can you believe people would stoop this low for what are worthless, buried, badges on pinside?

Locals noticed a ton of Pin Map edits happening in our area yesterday... at locations we all knew there were not pinball machines. People were like 'woah, times are a changing! it's everywhere!'. Turns out... no, it's just losers creating FAKE pin map entries on pinside so they can earn pinside achievements!

'Oh whats the big deal...' -- Well remember when people make suggestions like 'move pinwiki to pinside...' or 'there should be a price database...' etc. Well Pinside does have a lot of data.. and know what.. that data is followed by people and other systems. So when loser creates a bunch of FAKE entries to boost their own internal scoreboard.. they pollute that data.

So when you see stuff like this...
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.57.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.57.21 PM (resized).png

Know... it can be complete garbage. And in this user's case.. it was garbage.

The entries have been deleted now.. but the user wouldn't even face up to the questioning of their edits.

#2 4 years ago

#okboomer

#3 4 years ago

Saw these updates coming through for our area via the twitter feed and started to get excited all these new places with pinball started showing up..

Then realized the Qdoba in Columbia probably didn’t have a Laser War..

Boo this man! Booooo! Fake news!

#4 4 years ago

giphy (10).gifgiphy (10).gif

#5 4 years ago

Settle down, TidePod.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Settle down, TidePod.

Tide pods? Don’t you know? They are now doing the penny challenge.. unplugging their phone chargers a little bit and dropping a penny on both prongs.. super superior generation.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

...boost their own internal scoreboard..

maybe I'm out of the loop (guaranteed) but what are these achievements and why do they matter?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

maybe I'm out of the loop (guaranteed) but what are these achievements and why do they matter?

See that trophy under your name? That's part of it.. but it doesn't really matter (IMO) but it's one of those things in pinside some like I guess but others ignore.
    The sad part is someone felt they needed to try to scam the system to bolster themselves in a meaningless points system.

#9 4 years ago

Adding fake locations should be a ban as far as I'm concerned. I make it a bit of a side hobby to try to find new locations in my area to add to the map. If I'm out of my local area and am looking for a place to eat, I pull up the pin map to see if there is a place nearby I can eat and play a pin. Sending people on wild goose chase is a dick move.

#10 4 years ago

Dam and I was saving the points for that Pinlife gift card.

#11 4 years ago

This reminds me, I had someone PM me asking me to follow them specifically so they could get an achievement. I have had no interaction with the user previously, and the message system would not let me respond since the sender already deleted the message. What a tool.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

This reminds me, I had someone PM me asking me to follow them specifically so they could get an achievement. I have had no interaction with the user previously, and the message system would not let me respond since the sender already deleted the message. What a tool.

I guess people have no shame...

#13 4 years ago

I always wonder why people feel strong enough to post about drama like this, but then protect the "losers" by not identifying them. Then we can have some more PIs investigate what other achievements they faked!

Maybe we need some anti-achievement metrics! LOL, guys busted for stuff like this can get... fails? debacles? Fun, fun... feature request...

Lacking that, you can get a similar effect by giving the loser some feedback...

#14 4 years ago

Let's see, what else do we need "fail" flagging for? Junk reviews... Flaking out on deals... Misuse of HUO...

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I always wonder why people feel strong enough to post about drama like this, but then protect the "losers" by not identifying them. Then we can have some more PIs investigate what other achievements they faked!

I'm not protecting anyone... I just felt the point was bigger than the individual. If I lead with a name, the response would be different because people have an existing perception about users.

#16 4 years ago

Okay, you led with your point, in a little while, can you add to the drama by trashing the guy too? Ha ha...

That one is pretty egregious as it can mislead someone to go check out a location! Lame...

#17 4 years ago

I want my Pinside karma points back.
    I cared about that. I don't care about the new system.

Why would you bother to put the effort into faking out a system that doesn't mean anything?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I want my Pinside karma points back.
    I cared about that. I don't care about the new system.
    Why would you bother to put the effort into faking out a system that doesn't mean anything?

Heyyyyyyy................
    Look how close to 100,000 points I am.
    I should drop in some fake locations to get there. That would be cooooool.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

Tide pods? Don’t you know? They are now doing the penny challenge.. unplugging their phone chargers a little bit and dropping a penny on both prongs.. super superior generation.

Tide pods? Penny challenge? Lol

Latest, greatest is ... Skull-breaker challenge.

You'd think the name would be a clue...

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/skull-breaker-challenge-going-viral.amp

#20 4 years ago

Here’s what the twitter feed was doing at that time. All these have since been removed..

F24EB821-0B6F-45EF-AFF3-4EBBD6BBDD27 (resized).jpegF24EB821-0B6F-45EF-AFF3-4EBBD6BBDD27 (resized).jpeg
    #21 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not protecting anyone... I just felt the point was bigger than the individual. If I lead with a name, the response would be different because people have an existing perception about users.

ok... you led with the point...

now it is time to name names...

#22 4 years ago

Map spam... ugh...

I guess the lesson here is to verify the location via independent means (google, dedicated website) before planning the family vacation around it.

I just zoomed in and picked a location at random. It's a single pin located on a rural road, no website - added yesterday btw....

#23 4 years ago

As if the generations before them didn't do it with two paperclips and a pencil. Practically a rite of passage for an 11 year old.

#24 4 years ago

Huh! I didn't realize anyone could add and edit locations! Just updated/added a few around my area that I frequent. Thanks OP!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Huh! I didn't realize anyone could add and edit locations! Just updated/added a few around my area that I frequent. Thanks OP!

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/14100-five-churches-brewing-new-britain-ct

Phone number, website, hours, listing of pin(s)... check!

Now THAT'S a quality location listing, thanks!

#26 4 years ago

You think this is a scandal, just wait until games are connected to the internet and people question the online leaderboards...

#27 4 years ago

Hey.. i just found in my browser cache from clicking those twitter posts.. they were all added by jeffspinballpalace

#28 4 years ago

Hey.. i just found in my browser cache from clicking those twitter posts.. they were all added by jeffspinballpalace

Not surprising.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/14100-five-churches-brewing-new-britain-ct
    Phone number, website, hours, listing of pin(s)... check!
    Now THAT'S a quality location listing, thanks!

Well, google autofilled that, but thanks, haha.

#30 4 years ago

Looking at Jeff's achievement page, it looks like most of his collection achievements are bullshit also.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Adding fake locations should be a ban as far as I'm concerned. I make it a bit of a side hobby to try to find new locations in my area to add to the map. If I'm out of my local area and am looking for a place to eat, I pull up the pin map to see if there is a place nearby I can eat and play a pin. Sending people on wild goose chase is a dick move.

Agreed

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Looking at Jeff's achievement page, it looks like most of his collection achievements are bullshit also.

Yes but he has a ton of useless fake internet points. I use the pinball map a lot too for locations to see what might be a unique game to put on location. I also use it to see how desirable or how many known owners there are of a game. Sucks that both of those could be bullshit for fake internet points.

#33 4 years ago

I always wondered what type of person would actually buy the badges/ribbons on apps/Facebook, and I guess now we know. People are so damn weird.

#34 4 years ago

It looks like a lot of these recent additions to the Pinside map are from adding in location data from Pinballmap.com

This may not be near as nefarious as some think

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from GS2019:

Tide pods? Penny challenge? Lol
    Latest, greatest is ... Skull-breaker challenge.
    You'd think the name would be a clue...
    https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/skull-breaker-challenge-going-viral.amp

I encourage this. Darwinism at its finest.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

It looks like a lot of these recent additions to the Pinside map are from adding in location data from Pinballmap.com
    This may not be near as nefarious as some think

In this case... i reached out to the user... inquiring the reason behind the rash of edits in a region they aren't even associated with. They didn't reply. I reached out to robin to make sure it wasn't some automation gone awry and maybe associating to that user in error. He replied and confirmed it was not some automation issue. The locations then were deleted (again not by robin). User books a bunch of achievements that day... and does not reply to PM.

You make your own judgment...

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

In this case... i reached out to the user... inquiring the reason behind the rash of edits in a region they aren't even associated with. They didn't reply. I reached out to robin to make sure it wasn't some automation gone awry and maybe associating to that user in error. He replied and confirmed it was not some automation issue. The locations then were deleted (again not by robin). User books a bunch of achievements that day... and does not reply to PM.

It looks like the achievements went away also. Doesn't mean user still isn't a complete tool. robin should give him 30 days on the street to think about it.

#38 4 years ago

Weird, but I used this as a reminder to update some of the locations I had previously added.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

It looks like the achievements went away also.

Because robin intervened after my inquiry

#40 4 years ago

A new achievement has been unlocked..."You are one pathetic loser. No offense."
    award (3) (resized).pngaward (3) (resized).png

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Obviously you have put some thought into this, maybe multiple people are updating and we are talking about different users?

I see these changes from a Maryland user updating locations in Pittsburgh, Huntington WV, Savannah GA (and others, this is only what I verified)
    8Y active Pinsider
    Pinside plus donator
    5.5k posts
    99% thumbs up
    The locations that I spot checked all match up to Pinball Map
    They HAVE NOT been deleted from Pinside as of today
    I doubt somebody could manually update this many locations quickly so just assuming he is using some sort of automation

Just doesn't seem like the work of a spammer/hacker/run of the mill Pinside A-hole

#42 4 years ago

The achievements system is just a fun incentive we came up with to promote other sections of Pinside (beside the forum). Nothing more, nothing less. If people indeed abuse this system then that's just really sad. Adding fake locations or temporarily adding games you don't own to your collection is really pathetic. it's the equivalent of setting high scores with the glass off. But there's not much we can do about this except remove the achievement and issue a warning. Next time, user will get a block (preventing any editing to our database).

I sent out a PM to the Pinsider in question asking about his reasoning. Maybe it's all a misunderstanding (I hope). Meanwhile, I have deleted the achievements.

Thanks to OP for reporting this and apologies to those who got excited about new nearby locations with pins.

Finally a big shout out to all of you who keep the Pinside map updated with REAL locations!

#43 4 years ago

Pinside.... Everyone gets a medal!!

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Can you believe people would stoop this low for what are worthless, buried, badges on pinside?

I actually can, people go wacky for them things.

#45 4 years ago

Yes but he has a ton of useless fake internet points. I use the pinball map a lot too for locations to see what might be a unique game to put on location. I also use it to see how desirable or how many known owners there are of a game. Sucks that both of those could be bullshit for fake internet points.

That’s upsetting. I use the Pinside map for the same reason. I like to put games on location that aren’t available locally and collect ones that aren’t in collections nearby too

Quoted from robin:

The achievements system is just a fun incentive we came up with to promote other sections of Pinside (beside the forum). Nothing more, nothing less. If people indeed abuse this system then that's just really sad. Adding fake locations or temporarily adding games you don't own to your collection is really pathetic. it's the equivalent of setting high scores with the glass off. But there's not much we can do about this except remove the achievement and issue a warning. Next time, user will get a block (preventing any editing to our database).
    I sent out a PM to the Pinsider in question asking about his reasoning. Maybe it's all a misunderstanding (I hope). Meanwhile, I have deleted the achievements.
    Thanks to OP for reporting this and apologies to those who got excited about new nearby locations with pins.
    Finally a big shout out to all of you who keep the Pinside map updated with REAL locations!

I love the map system!

Full disclosure, I am a huge fanatic for editing map locations. The Pinside map is FAR superior to the pinball map in my opinion, however because pinball map has a handy app, it has a lot more data and user inputs it seems.

On boring days at home I have frequently opened split screen pinballmap.com and Pinside map and then I pick a random area (NYC is the best) and I go through cleaning up the map, removing old locations and adding new ones. Now I only add and verify new ones if I can find pictures online from their website, yelp or google reviews. If I don’t see pins or a place were games go in the listing, I won’t update or add it.
    It’s a lot of fun and it helps me when I go on vacation to these places and want to play. The Pinside map doesn’t get as much use as it should!!

Now perhaps maybe the ability to verify locations should be more limited or something? Kinda like how the machine database here can only have new machines added by specific users and certain aspects like the popular acronym is only accessible by a select group?
    Pinball map has admins that confirm and approve new locations. So perhaps this is in order for a future update?

The map is one of my favorite features on Pinside and the filtering and User Interface is just so clean and easy to use over the alternative, so I hope we can get this sorted! Also if you’re reading this I encourage you to edit your local locations and keep them updated! If I see a location that hasn’t been touched in 3 years or more that’s a good sign it needs to be re-evaluated and updated.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Just doesn't seem like the work of a spammer/hacker/run of the mill Pinside A-hole

If I had to guess... people realized they could do this and win their virtual trophies and they thought it was completely transparent/harmless. Then the idea spreads to a few other users. Everyone thinks its 'harmless fun' and don't believe there are any consequences. But that belief is based on incomplete information...

They aren't spammer/hacker motivations... they are simply being selfish and either don't know, or don't care about the disruptions their 'innocent fun' causes. It's simple narcissism.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Not just him, and if you check out Habo or Hobo whatever his name is at #1 he seems to have unlocked the exact same achievements flynnibus point out in the OP in the exact same 7 days, what are the odds!?

Maybe Habo has added genuine locations if not there’s possibly a half dozen more fake locations!

B5C76FEB-C8DF-4B1B-8D73-CA4085D3C2E8 (resized).pngB5C76FEB-C8DF-4B1B-8D73-CA4085D3C2E8 (resized).pngFC2EAD6D-F7B8-4196-A5D1-8614B7E187D9 (resized).pngFC2EAD6D-F7B8-4196-A5D1-8614B7E187D9 (resized).png
    #48 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Not just him, and if you check out Habo or Hobo whatever his name is at #1 he seems to have unlocked the exact same achievements flynnibus point out in the OP in the exact same 7 days, what are the odds!?
    Maybe Habo has added genuine locations if not there’s possibly a half dozen more fake locations![quoted image][quoted image]

They both are "in business" together here on Pinside...

#49 4 years ago

Anyone interested in trading their Lionman Award? Please see my achievements and let me know if we can work out a fair trade.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#50 4 years ago

I really wish I had more achievements on pinside. Back to my crappy job and being depressed.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/users-gaming-the-pinside-achievement-system?hl=elkjunkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.