(Topic ID: 228784)

Usefulness of tool measuring flipper power?

By tobiasbp

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tobiasbp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Hello forum.

Looking for an excuse to start an electronics project, I have been contemplating a device one would attach to a flipper (Probably only the sensor part), and a readout would display the flippers force (once flipped).

Would such a tool have any value in real life?

Thanks,
    Tobias

#2 5 years ago

Make it for under $20 and you will sell a boatload!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Make it for under $20 and you will sell a boatload!

Sounds good. I'll be rich soon then

Without my proposed tool, how would one evaluate flipper power? Shooting the ball around? Is that how it's done?

#4 5 years ago

i think flipper power is measured practically: will it make all the ramps, orbits, etc. from a cradle. i don't know if this measurement has any value on its own. If my game is pitched at 6 degrees, and yours is pitched at 7, the same flipper strength rating may not yield the same outcomes.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from tobiasbp:

Sounds good. I'll be rich soon then
    Without my proposed tool, how would one evaluate flipper power? Shooting the ball around? Is that how it's done?

Pretty much.
    Can't make a ramp? Too weak. Hit the ramp and the ball flis off, or breaks a plastic? Too strong.

#6 5 years ago

To measure flipper strength I hang my nuts in front of the flipper bat and hit the flipper button. If I fall to the floor in pain they're strong enough. If not, rebuild.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

i think flipper power is measured practically: will it make all the ramps, orbits, etc. from a cradle. i don't know if this measurement has any value on its own.

I was thinking it could be useful for comparing before and after rebuilding flippers or when EOS switches have been replaced/tuned/cleaned/filed etc.

#8 5 years ago

Don't forget the operator side. It would be a good tool to use when installing a game in a new location where the wall-socket power is of unknown quality.

Similarly, it would be helpful when setting games up for tournament play.
    .................David Marston

#9 5 years ago

It has usefulness adjusting eos switches for max power that’s for sure. I’ve had games where I had rebuilt the flippers and wondered if the power faded over a year or two as at times it seems weaker? Anyhow it’d be cool to have had a “baseline” to go by.. so if it was cheap i’d Be in.

#10 5 years ago

I've wanted one of these for a while to help 'scientifically' tell if certain repairs actually affect the strength.

#11 5 years ago

Didn't CheckPoint kind of have this. Fasteclean shot to ramp equaled more RPMS

#12 5 years ago

An external type gadget set to measure like you were saying would be better.

#13 5 years ago

I'm in the camp where practical ball response is the primary indicator of proper flipper power. Isn't there a number of calibrated tools already out there that could be adapted to this? Digital force meters are already manufactured as well as less expensive analog force meters. I'm not sure how many gram-forces a flipper would even measure.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

To measure flipper strength I hang my nuts in front of the flipper bat and hit the flipper button. If I fall to the floor in pain they're strong enough. If not, rebuild.

Yikes ! What method do you use to remove pubes from the playfield ?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Yikes ! What method do you use to remove pubes from the playfield ?

After 1000 plays the pubes level out and you can't tell anymore. Oh wait that's dimples....

#16 5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments. Happy to hear, that I'm not the only one who can see some value in having a tool like the one I'm envisioning.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I've wanted one of these for a while to help 'scientifically' tell if certain repairs actually affect the strength.

I feel the same way. It would be nice to be able to quantify the difference in performance after an adjustment/repair. I think the device would also be useful when adjusting EOS switches for hold strength (As in strong coil should kick in when a speedy ball forces a held flipper back down)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/usefulness-of-tool-measuring-flipper-power?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.