New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 228784)

Usefulness of tool measuring flipper power?

By tobiasbp

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by tobiasbp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hello forum.

Looking for an excuse to start an electronics project, I have been contemplating a device one would attach to a flipper (Probably only the sensor part), and a readout would display the flippers force (once flipped).

Would such a tool have any value in real life?

Thanks,
    Tobias

#2 1 year ago

Make it for under $20 and you will sell a boatload!

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Make it for under $20 and you will sell a boatload!

Sounds good. I'll be rich soon then

Without my proposed tool, how would one evaluate flipper power? Shooting the ball around? Is that how it's done?

#4 1 year ago

i think flipper power is measured practically: will it make all the ramps, orbits, etc. from a cradle. i don't know if this measurement has any value on its own. If my game is pitched at 6 degrees, and yours is pitched at 7, the same flipper strength rating may not yield the same outcomes.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from tobiasbp:

Sounds good. I'll be rich soon then
    Without my proposed tool, how would one evaluate flipper power? Shooting the ball around? Is that how it's done?

Pretty much.
    Can't make a ramp? Too weak. Hit the ramp and the ball flis off, or breaks a plastic? Too strong.

#6 1 year ago

To measure flipper strength I hang my nuts in front of the flipper bat and hit the flipper button. If I fall to the floor in pain they're strong enough. If not, rebuild.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

i think flipper power is measured practically: will it make all the ramps, orbits, etc. from a cradle. i don't know if this measurement has any value on its own.

I was thinking it could be useful for comparing before and after rebuilding flippers or when EOS switches have been replaced/tuned/cleaned/filed etc.

#8 1 year ago

Don't forget the operator side. It would be a good tool to use when installing a game in a new location where the wall-socket power is of unknown quality.

Similarly, it would be helpful when setting games up for tournament play.
    .................David Marston

#9 1 year ago

It has usefulness adjusting eos switches for max power that’s for sure. I’ve had games where I had rebuilt the flippers and wondered if the power faded over a year or two as at times it seems weaker? Anyhow it’d be cool to have had a “baseline” to go by.. so if it was cheap i’d Be in.

#10 1 year ago

I've wanted one of these for a while to help 'scientifically' tell if certain repairs actually affect the strength.

#11 1 year ago

Didn't CheckPoint kind of have this. Fasteclean shot to ramp equaled more RPMS

#12 1 year ago

An external type gadget set to measure like you were saying would be better.

#13 1 year ago

I'm in the camp where practical ball response is the primary indicator of proper flipper power. Isn't there a number of calibrated tools already out there that could be adapted to this? Digital force meters are already manufactured as well as less expensive analog force meters. I'm not sure how many gram-forces a flipper would even measure.

1 (resized).jpg
    #14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

To measure flipper strength I hang my nuts in front of the flipper bat and hit the flipper button. If I fall to the floor in pain they're strong enough. If not, rebuild.

Yikes ! What method do you use to remove pubes from the playfield ?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Yikes ! What method do you use to remove pubes from the playfield ?

After 1000 plays the pubes level out and you can't tell anymore. Oh wait that's dimples....

#16 1 year ago

Thank you everyone for your comments. Happy to hear, that I'm not the only one who can see some value in having a tool like the one I'm envisioning.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I've wanted one of these for a while to help 'scientifically' tell if certain repairs actually affect the strength.

I feel the same way. It would be nice to be able to quantify the difference in performance after an adjustment/repair. I think the device would also be useful when adjusting EOS switches for hold strength (As in strong coil should kick in when a speedy ball forces a held flipper back down)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 49.99
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 7.50
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside