(Topic ID: 306993)

Useful tools for working on JJP machines?

By Dreadreaper

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Trindawg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6954 (resized).jpeg
    EC5E43D1-AC53-4E34-AFAA-41B5922A7DAB (resized).png
    A503522E-863D-47E7-9D44-CE280CC9BD0A (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Whenever I need to tighten it loosen the various bolts and screws under the playfield on my jjp machines I find it to be quite the challenge. Can anyone recommend some tools that I could purchase to make my life easier? I currently grasp one side with needle nose pliers and use a socket set underneath to remove playfield posts. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2 years ago

A set of nut drivers. Long ones come in handy. Magnetic ones really come in handy.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A set of nut drivers. Long ones come in handy. Magnetic ones really come in handy.

Something like this.

https://www.pinballlife.com/hilmor-7-piece-magnetic-tip-hollow-shaft-nut-driver-set.html?Category_Code=

#4 2 years ago

Ignition wrenches , for any pin

#5 2 years ago

$75??!? While they certainly could be handy...$75??!? Can you help us understand why they're that much? I've bought plenty of tools and these seem...did I mention $75??!?

Kidding aside, are these really that much better than the "handle and socket set" that you normally would see?

#6 2 years ago

For all of my pinball machines I have a separate set of tools that are located in the game room. For working around or outside of the house I usually use other tools located in the garage lol.

Here's the main tools I've bought for working on Pinball Machines. I've been buying Klein tools as they are made well and feel great to use.

Klein magnetic nut driver set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKNDHGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Klein hollow metric nut driver Set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ORXQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Klein screwdriver set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7VCQK3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#7 2 years ago

Loyd and PanzerFreak are 100000% right on magnetic nut drivers, however I’m a cheap import, Harbor Freight, hand tools type. Besides I really enjoy cursing and saying “WTF” when I drop a screw or nut in the cabinet, on the playfield, on the floor, or it disappears altogether because of voodoo, magic, or little green men from Area 51.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For all of my pinball machines I have a separate set of tools that are located in the game room. For working around or outside of the house I usually use other tools located in the garage lol.

it’s easy to keep my pinball tools separate because they are the only ones which are non-metric. That being said magnetic nut drivers in inches would be pretty useful.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Kidding aside, are these really that much better than the "handle and socket set" that you normally would see?

For me. Yes. I grab them first. All the time.

Bear in mind I have an arcade. You need tools that work and you can depend on. $75 might seem like a lot. Until you start pricing other things like 1/2 inch sockets and hole saws and cordless drills.

It doesn't take long to blow a lot of money on quality tools.

It comes down to if you only need it once, go cheap. If you need it, depend on it, and want to make the job easier, better, and not create havoc, then get good.

Keep an eye on thrift stores, garage sales, yard sales, estate sales. You might score tool deals there.

#10 2 years ago

If you have basic tools you can get away with these 2 to start .I’ve found them very handy .I also enjoy yelling stuff when I lose shit .I lost a spring from a coin slot button and couldn’t believe I couldn’t find it .Neighbors heard me 2 houses down .Nothing else around 8 foot in each direction .Showed up 2 months later just sitting there in the middle of the floor .Elves are real my friend .

A503522E-863D-47E7-9D44-CE280CC9BD0A (resized).pngA503522E-863D-47E7-9D44-CE280CC9BD0A (resized).pngEC5E43D1-AC53-4E34-AFAA-41B5922A7DAB (resized).pngEC5E43D1-AC53-4E34-AFAA-41B5922A7DAB (resized).png
    #11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

If you have basic tools you can get away with these 2 to start .I’ve found them very handy .I also enjoy yelling stuff when I lose shit .I lost a spring from a coin slot button and couldn’t believe I couldn’t find it .Neighbors heard me 2 houses down .Nothing else around 8 foot in each direction .Showed up 2 months later just sitting there in the middle of the floor .Elves are real my friend .
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Never though of elves creepy little F’ers. In my house it’s more like elf’s with magic being controlled via voodoo dolls by aliens.

1 year later
    #13 5 months ago

Can someone help me find this wrench set pictured here? This would have come in so handy the other day trying to tighten a screw that had a 1/4” nut under a plastic that was so hard to get to. Had to use needle nose pliers and that almost didn’t work. Needed something skinny and long. These look like they might work for me.

IMG_6954 (resized).jpegIMG_6954 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/useful-tools-for-working-on-jjp-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.