Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The mid 90s titles that I like seem to be as much if not WAY more than a new Stern

I'm looking at Aerosmith Pro, looks like a good game does have the Spike System maybe not as good?
But it's brand NEW for 5699.

OUESTION: Given the skyrocketing prices of the better titles would this be a good alternative?
What's your opinion? (Value, resale, etc) I would like to hear some ideas

#2 6 years ago

I would buy the pin you are interested. Don't buy new just because used prices are high and don't buy used just because new prices are low

#3 6 years ago

Lots of great older titles including some original concepts from stern. I think a lot of the early solid states are underpriced. For the price of one nib game, one could get 3, 4, or 5 older titles. The trade off being the older ones may have some issues and need some work vs a new game that (in theory) should be maintanence free for some time in a HUO environment. If you like to tinker on things, the older ones are the way to go IMHO. If you have worries changing your oil, then get a new one with warranty.

#4 6 years ago

Assuming you like them all equally, maintenance might factor in. I really enjoy some of the new Stern, e.g. TWD and ST. But have concerns over long term maintenance. I feel like 90s titles have better long term prospects for being repairable than modern titles with node boards that can't be DIY repaired. It seems like node boards are expense and hard to get now, I imagine they may be unobtainium in 20 years.

That said, if you plan to flip titles every coupler years, as many of us end up doing long term parts availability is less of an issue, and in the short term new titles, with less need of maint, would be a better plan.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from tbird71:

The mid 90s titles that I like seem to be as much if not WAY more than a new Stern
I'm looking at Aerosmith Pro, looks like a good game does have the Spike System maybe not as good?
But it's brand NEW for 5699.
OUESTION: Given the skyrocketing prices of the better titles would this be a good alternative?
What's your opinion? (Value, resale, etc) I would like to hear some ideas

Buy what you like. For me, that's a game that is a challenge with deep code. I don't want to get bored of a game quickly, so I need something that has a lot to it and isn't easy to get through. There are lots of great games out there, newest isn't always (in fact it usually isn't) better. I've owned 20+ games, some great titles and I've never bought NIB. I wouldn't mind buying one NIB game just for the experience, but I just can't justify it with today's prices and/or the quality of games being produced today. As long as you don't pay retail prices for games, resell shouldn't be too much of a hit when it comes time to sell, but keep in mind NIB games aren't holding their value like they used to...especially the LE versions.

#6 6 years ago

My opinion is you should buy the game that you think will be the most fun and don't look at it as an investment in any way. Buy it, play the hell out of it and enjoy it!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My opinion is you should buy the game that you think will be the most fun and don't look at it as an investment in any way. Buy it, play the hell out of it and enjoy it!

This is good marriage advice too...

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

This is good marriage advice too...

Haha very true

#9 6 years ago

If you can afford it, I think a new Stern Pro is a great way to go for a first pin.

#10 6 years ago

If you want a newer stern I would buy a slightly used HUO one. Then you can inspect it first and save money .

#11 6 years ago

Buy the game you want. Any alternative will just have you wishing you had bought what you originally wanted. If you have the $, chances are you can recoup most of it if you change your mind about it.

#12 6 years ago

I have done and will probably continue to buy both new and used. It’s all about your preferences and budget. I don’t believe there is one best answer for all of us. I did recently buy an Aerosmith Pro, slightly used. I love it!

#13 6 years ago

My advice is to only buy new if you are absolutely sure you’ll love the game.. if I had bought Star Wars LE like I planned earlier this year, I would have been very disappointed - that game just isn’t doing it for me yet. By the same token, i find it easier to buy and let go of used games when they don’t “click”. Some games don’t. I have 2 keepers but rotate the other games around occasionally. If you buy new, You may be paying a premium for a game you don’t really like, and will end up losing money. Used games have a little bit more stable a pricing structure...

#14 6 years ago

I don't understand this "new" games are better attitude. I also don't know why so many people limit themselves to "A" list titles. This hobby is subjective, you might find you like some C list games better. I would rather have a Quicksilver than a Medieval Madness, that's just me. Deep games affect the replayability for me negatively. I will usually only hit the start button once or twice. A game like Eight Ball Deluxe or for you guys that only play new games Iron Man keeps you pressing start all night long. Those games are addicting! But I digress. Buy what you like and try other things outside the box, you never know.

#15 6 years ago

Used or New having done both myself I'll go used any day better on my pocket. Not knocking new games love mine and would do it again if the right game came along. If a used game is gone though properly it should work just as good as a new game if not better. The new in box games usually need some tweaking of switches etc to play right or lately some suck until the supposed code update.
Always play the games before you buy. It may look cool but could be a real turd when it comes to game play. Everybody has different tastes when it comes to pinball. Some folks will tell you a certain game is bad but if you like it and enjoy it get it. Don't let the Bally Williams fan boys tell you which game to buy unless there paying for it. Some of the hype crazy 90's games have prices that are just stupid. I have bought cars that get to my job that makes my money for the price of many of them. Some of the Em machines and early ss have better pricing can be just as hard and probably just as fun for half to a 3rd the price.
You get to decide have one game that breaks your wallet or a game room full of good games that can entertain the family or your buddies for many hours.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-vs-newwhich-way-to-go-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.