Ping Pong (resized).jpg
ping pong 2 (resized).jpg
0DBB9994-B177-4676-9285-B847A12FA7CF (resized).jpeg
20210808_100118 (resized).jpg
100_4660 (resized).jpg
20210807_150512.jpg
20210807_150624.jpg
72472900-153D-4CC5-8E6E-9A7B242DF1F9 (resized).jpeg
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

My god, you spent 4k on a pool table and have a drink sitting on your EBD! Get some $12 Pingulps, for crying out loud!

Lmao ! Was a drunken guest from night before but yes they’ve been ordered !

#52 2 years ago

I have a 9' Olhausen. It gets used once a year during our pre Super Bowl party. Bought it before discovering the pin world. We have the room to keep it.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My house came with one. I haven't used it in years.

There you go! Sell it to SantaEatsCheese for cheap!!

#54 2 years ago

My $3300 dollar LEGO display table

72472900-153D-4CC5-8E6E-9A7B242DF1F9 (resized).jpeg72472900-153D-4CC5-8E6E-9A7B242DF1F9 (resized).jpeg

#55 2 years ago

They are heavy . You can have pretty fair pinball collection in space that will be lost to better use .

Shane

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

[quoted image]

Two Eames? You’re truly living the life.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

Two Eames? You’re truly living the life.

Those are the really early ones. My dad bought them at a yard sale for next to nothing. I inherited them when he died.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

My wife wants a hot tub
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"82ceeac12fd429035f877139c689a4e0e31727a3-1628361668-1800"};
//]]>

Now there’s something for $5-7k that is a great house addition! Doesn’t take up room in house and feels like your on vacation every time you walk out and jump in. We use ours 4-5x a week outside middle of summer. Like anything though, I guess you gotta like soaking for it to get used. Haven’t met that many people that don’t like hot tubs though.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My house came with one. I haven't used it in years.

My house came with one too.

It looked great but was hardly played. Sold it after a few years and the room improved.

It was awesome for placing parts when working on pinball machines though.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

And the award for "Run-On Sentence of the Week" goes to..........

I blame my lack of punctuation on my public education. My conjunction junction doesn't know when and where to function and it's too late to go back now!
Try to stay away from masse shots I've only torn one felt trying those.
Also get the 9 ball rack much faster and funner game than 8 ball imo.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

I blame my lack of punctuation on my public education. My conjunction junction doesn't know when and where to function and it's too late to go back now!
Try to stay away from masse shots I've only torn one felt trying those.

You must be uneducated just like most Doctors with poor penmanship.Who cares

#62 2 years ago

I have 18 years of education I passed the 6th grade 3 times

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

My god, you spent 4k on a pool table and have a drink sitting on your EBD! Get some $12 Pingulps, for crying out loud!

Lighten up!! He's got it on a coaster!!

#64 2 years ago

I just setup a 9 foot,1000.00 plus setup and it needed new bumpers and pockets,
2000.00 total,I regret getting a 9 footer and just should have done something a little smaller,.
I want through a divorce last year and she took the dining room table so I thought what the hell pool table in the dining room!
Shot a few games and went back to pinball,I was a player back in the day and I grew up on a 9 footer but to big now.
Good luck

#65 2 years ago

Told the misses I'm watching the hall of fame tonight so we're already down shooting pool and playing darts.

20210807_150512.jpg20210807_150512.jpg20210807_150624.jpg20210807_150624.jpg
#66 2 years ago

Sometimes you buy a pool table not knowing you wanted one. I came across this 1880's Brunswick Brilliant Novelty, worked on it off and on for over 10 years. Got it finished in 2019. I have waaay more $$$$$ in it than a run of the mill table plus all the restoration hours but I did not do it for the money. It was a great project. Like others have said you can find tables reasonably priced on the secondary market if you just want a table.

100_4660 (resized).jpg100_4660 (resized).jpg
#67 2 years ago

@ sixpakmopar That’s not a pool table! That’s a piece of high end collector furniture that you can play pool on!

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Sometimes you buy a pool table not knowing you wanted one. I came across this 1880's Brunswick Brilliant Novelty, worked on it off and on for over 10 years. Got it finished in 2019. I have waaay more $$$$$ in it than a run of the mill table plus all the restoration hours but I did not do it for the money. It was a great project. Like others have said you can find tables reasonably priced on the secondary market if you just want a table.
[quoted image]

Beautiful! Never seen such a intricate table. Craftsmanship was unbelievable back in the day.

#70 2 years ago

I could not imagine what a table like that would cost if one was made today!

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

[quoted image]

The ships on the wall are cool. I am running out of space in my office with models,that may work?

#72 2 years ago

All,

Thanks for the advice. Based off of everyone scaring me off from pool tables, I decided to go with a ping pong table for now. I got a nice indoor/outdoor one that folds up for $200 delivered into my basement local. I could have gotten a nice one for $50, but a real one won't fit in my van. If you are on the fence on one of these, they are all over craigslist and facebook for pennies on the dollar. I'd tell you how it plays, but my kids have been on it non stop since I bought it.

Based off of the size of this thing, which is identical to a 9x5 billiards table, I 100% know a 9 foot pool table wouldn't fit well down here. I may get a 7 footer in a few months if and when the family gets tired of ping pong, and I and always just keep the top off of this as a topper for a pool table.

Thanks!

20210808_100118 (resized).jpg20210808_100118 (resized).jpg
#73 2 years ago

Used tables are better! They don't make them like they used to. Unless you are buying a Peter Vitali they are all made in china now,including Brunswick.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

All,
Thanks for the advice. Based off of everyone scaring me off from pool tables, I decided to go with a ping pong table for now

I suggest some sandpaper paddles and an old hockey stick ( for under pinball ping pong ball revival )

#75 2 years ago

All,
Thanks for the advice. Based off of everyone scaring me off from pool tables, I decided to go with a ping pong table for now. I got a nice indoor/outdoor one that folds up for $200 delivered into my basement local. I could have gotten a nice one for $50, but a real one won't fit in my van. If you are on the fence on one of these, they are all over craigslist and facebook for pennies on the dollar. I'd tell you how it plays, but my kids have been on it non stop since I bought it.
Based off of the size of this thing, which is identical to a 9x5 billiards table, I 100% know a 9 foot pool table wouldn't fit well down here. I may get a 7 footer in a few months if and when the family gets tired of ping pong, and I and always just keep the top off of this as a topper for a pool table.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

You and your family are playing and having fun Good job,enjoy.

#76 2 years ago

There are table top ping pong products that go on top of pool tables. Easily laid upon and removed. You can have the best of both worlds in the same space footprint.

#77 2 years ago

I am a big pool player and have been playing for 30 years.

I own a Super 8. This is 8.5 feet. I wanted as close as possible to a 9 footer as possible because that’s what the pros use.
So your choice of an 8 footer is the most chosen size in homes. Good choice.

Rails: if you’re buying a used table, I would most definitely buy new rails when I changed out the felt as well.
Tight rails are critical to hitting all kinds of bank shots. Even if you’re a beginner, if you have dead spots in the cushions, you’ll never learn how to get good at banks and more advanced 3 rail shots using the diamond system.

Felt: get Simonis felt. This again is what the pros play on. The majority of people have no idea about what type of felt to use but it’s essentially the optimal thread count. When you become an advanced player, working all different kinds of spin and English on the ball separates you from the beginner and gives you the ability to leave the cue ball in position on your next shot anywhere on the table. Pool than starts to feel like chess. It’s amazing!

Table: I prefer a drop pocket system instead of the ball return system. Less probability of break downs but both are fine. 7 footers are fun but if you master playing on a 9 footer, most “bar” players can’t keep up. The geometry changes dramatically and a lot of the shots on a 9 footer have a lot more green.

Pool cues: buy cues made of wood not aluminum or some other bullshit. They look pretty but play terrible.
I prefer a 21 oz. on breaking and a 19 oz. for gameplay. 21 oz creates a lot more power, 19 oz. better control.
A nice cue can be bought for 250- 750 bucks. I wouldn’t spend much more.
If you wanna hustle, buy a Sneaky Pete. Lol.

Also buy tip shapers. They’re like 5 bucks and worth every penny. And lots of chalk.

And buy a training cue ball to learn how to use english. Most people eventually learn backspin but english is critical to running tables.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

The ships on the wall are cool. I am running out of space in my office with models,that may work?

Those are "Cobi" ships. A clone of Lego.

#79 2 years ago

Now that you bought the ping pong table, google “round the table ping pong”. Great way to play as a group - and it somewhat levels the playing field. Fun game.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I could not imagine what a table like that would cost if one was made today!

Repros have been made. Some have the cast aluminum lions for legs.

A little digging should turn them up.

LTG : )

#81 2 years ago

Don’t do it. It’ll become a giant paper weight and a storage shelf. Mark my words.

#82 2 years ago

I know he already said he opted for and purchased the ping pong table, but I've become kinda attached to this thread. Can we please keep giving him advice and first hand experiences?

I had some kinda cheapie, free 5' table that I kept in the garage, I thought it would be cool to play it in the driveway like they did on the Drew Cary show. Did that once and gave it away a year later.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I know he already said he opted for and purchased the ping pong table, but I've become kinda attached to this thread. Can we please keep giving him advice and first hand experiences?
I had some kinda cheapie, free 5' table that I kept in the garage, I thought it would be cool to play it in the driveway like they did on the Drew Cary show. Did that once and gave it away a year later.

I wouldn’t mind an out door pool table. Even considered making one at one point. But having one in the house just takes up too much room.

#84 2 years ago

I have a pool table in my living room. I use it at least once a week. It enjoy having one in the home to play any time. I bought it new 15 years ago and still use it regularly. I paid too much, I should have bought a used one. Occasionally it does get used as a table because it is so convenient, but only for short periods of time.

I am interested if anyone ever bought a ping pong table conversion kit that you place on top of your pool table to play ping pong? I've been thinking of buying one.

#85 2 years ago
0DBB9994-B177-4676-9285-B847A12FA7CF (resized).jpeg0DBB9994-B177-4676-9285-B847A12FA7CF (resized).jpeg
#86 2 years ago

nice workbench

#87 2 years ago

I should snap a pic of nightsearchers 6x12 100 year old Brunswick pool table. Covered in playfields and dozens of boxes from suppliers

Still needs to put the rails, pockets and cloth on. Hopefully someday he finishes it. Haven't shot on a table that large in 20+ years

#88 2 years ago

I need to drain this thread because it's giving me bad ideas.

I got a pool table for Christmas when I was 15 and have always loved playing. No, not a rich kid; we were pretty poor, but it was a $150 move yourself special. I played it a lot, and in college I had a weekly meetup with a freind shooting pool at a an old school pool hall. I got myself a nice que and everything.

The table ended up moving with my parents, but eventually they needed the space it was eating up. They brought to my house later on when I was starting a family, and I put it in my finisehd basement. It was refelted and I bought new balls plus accessories. My wife at the time was running a home daycare in the finished basement space my pool table was. She ended up selling it without my knowledge because she needed the room, and noted I had not been using the table. I was mad, but she pointed out that I had not used the pool table in 1 year. She was right and I let it go.

Now, reading this, I'm thinking Hmmm, where would I put a pool table in the new house? Bad thoughts.

#89 2 years ago

if its not free you paid too much!

I have gotten two free pool tables, then gave them away because i moved. never pay for used pool tables. they are seldom used, and often totally ignored in the home even thought they occupy an entire room!

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

if its not free you paid too much!
I have gotten two free pool tables, then gave them away because i moved. never pay for used pool tables. they are seldom used, and often totally ignored in the home even thought they occupy an entire room!

I was happy to get $600 for a $5000 table.

#91 2 years ago

When I was just out of school I couldn't afford a pool table but wanted one. I bought a set of pool table plans and my bro and I built it in our garage. 7 footer with curved sides and a complete ball return. We did real mahogany rails and used thin mahogany veneer plywood to curve the sides. As a cost cutting measure (which I needed) it used a marine grade particle board for the top. Sounds cheap, but this table was lightning fast and dead true. Great set of plans, wish I still had either the plans or the table--was great for a casual player.

#92 2 years ago

Growing up, my best friend had a pool table in his garage but it was always covered with his dad's work junk. One day we were able to play it and we quickly found that the table was extremely warped and the ball would curve rather than roll straight. That was when I learned about what crap non-slate pool tables can be.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I was happy to get $600 for a $5000 table.

and I bet you are happy to have the wasted space back for pinball games or other more useful items like a dinner table or air hockey table

2 weeks later
#94 2 years ago

As an update, the ping pong table has been a huge hit with the kids. In the past few weeks they have played it more than their combined time spent on my pinball machines and multicade. Even my 4 and 7 year old are into it. This morning, when I went down stairs my 9 year old had it folded in half and was practicing to, "beat me". Looks like I'm in for some stiff competition. Long story short if you have kids and space, a ping pong table is an excellent addition to the arcade... at least until the pinball machines fill it up. Check craigslist and facebook marketplace for, "come get it" prices.

ping pong 2 (resized).jpgping pong 2 (resized).jpg
#95 2 years ago

As an update, the ping pong table has been a huge hit with the kids. In the past few weeks they have played it more than their combined time spent on my pinball machines and multicade. Even my 4 and 7 year old are into it. This morning, when I went down stairs my 9 year old had it folded in half and was practicing to, "beat me". Looks like I'm in for some stiff competition. Long story short if you have kids and space, a ping pong table is an excellent addition to the arcade... at least until the pinball machines fill it up. Check craigslist and facebook marketplace for, "come get it" prices.
[quoted image]

good stuff

#96 2 years ago

I have pretty strong feelings about this, but I'll make it short.

1) A bar table is fun. It's not really pool.
2) A 4x8 is the minimum. If you can get a 9 footer, and have the space for it, go for it. Bigger is better in the pool world.
3) They take up a lot of space. That said, in the three years I had mine, I played, on average, 5 games a day over those three years. Much more than any pinball I've ever owned. If the attraction of pinball is a that it is a "real", "visceral" game, pool is that times ten. I really love pool.
4) Moving and refelting are a built in cost. Don't do it yourself. Splurge on good felt (preferably Belgian). It should likely last forever.
5) Don't buy new. You won't get your money back. Be ok with this.
6) Buy a copy of Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. It's the bible in the pool world. I'm normally not a fan of bibles, but...
7) Play. Play often. With people better than you. You'll get better too.
8) The best thing about pool for me is seeing the shot. Not actually making it, which is glorious fun, but seeing. Seeing how to run the table, seeing how to line up shots, seeing the 1 in a 100 shot that no one else sees and calling it, and when the stakes are on the line, making it. Lovely.
9) Billiards was such a part of my growing up. A friend called it my misspent youth, but it was such a wonderful, formative time that I heartily recommend any 20 something to take six months, hang out in pool halls and just enjoy their lives. Quite a learning experience.

#97 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Glad you guys are enjoying it. Growing up we had ping pong at our house, my grandparents and my cousins. We played all night at every thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. If you have someone similarly skilled it’s one of my favorite basement games to play. My dad has one at his house now and we still play each other most times I go over.
If you ever get bored and want to change it up or want more room, an air hockey table is another cheap and fun home arcade addition. You don’t need near as much room as ping pong even with a big table as you can put it against a wall and don’t need a lot of room on each end, you can play 2vs2 easier, and to me it’s more fun when you are playing against people that aren’t very good. Our air hockey cost $50 on Facebook marketplace and I have fun playing my girls, 4 and 8 all the time.

#98 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Don't beat up on those little guys too bad.

Ping Pong (resized).jpgPing Pong (resized).jpg

1 month later
#99 2 years ago

Joined the used pool table club today. Got this olhausen with new felt, sticks, etc delivered and set up for $2500. Can't really put any pins in this room because of the ceilings. Have just been using it for storage since we moved in over 4 years ago. Now have another game room and a reason to hang out there.

20211001_102833 (resized).jpg20211001_102833 (resized).jpg
#100 2 years ago
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-pool-tables-thought-or-advice/page/2?hl=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.