Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by R8f1k
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quotefranklin (resized).jpg
    Revised_PinballPrices.com-Logo-Final-PNG (resized).png
    search (resized).jpg
    794dfca7068b7f22d9b2a2a2853f04f051e30f20 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225845 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225909 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225818 (resized).jpg
    20171214_194109 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Not sure what is happening with the used market right now. This is alot of pins across the board. Remakes or Originals no one is immune.
    Games like Hobbit tanked and now they are higher and harder to come by. Some titles sell fast where most sit for no reason. Someone please shed some light on this topic.

#2 6 years ago

Supply and demand. That's pretty much it....

#3 6 years ago

Try PinStadium lights. They shed some light on a lot of pins across the board

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

And looking at it long term, pin prices went bonkers 5 years ago. And now they are so much higher that the bargain prices are bonkers.

However things are still normal. Well priced games move quick. High priced games sits.

As for the specific example of Hobbit above, it's obvious. Prices dropped because people didn't like the game and they sat if they were higher priced. A bunch of people then bought those games cheap, and found the game was a fantastic $6500 game. So they are keeping them at that price, and then the market dried up with new happy owners. Poof, price goes up when you can even find them.

#5 6 years ago

Its all over the place no rhyme or reason, it will get a little more dicey in the next month due to tax season.
    Demand is high for lower cost machines and those at the same price point as new ones seem to sit.
    Summer normally is a down turn for sales being people are out and about rather than inside.

Odd we sit discussing how high prices are going where there is another topic talking about higher priced machines dropping.
    Seems all the ones I want are higher lol....or cheap and too far to get.

I agree with what Dave H was saying. Games like Avengers came out high and people were vocal ...game came down to 5k range and it now seems to be hanging there and considered a good game for that money.

#6 6 years ago

Seems normal to me....when I want to buy, the prices are high; when I was to sell, the prices are low. Same sh*t, different group of flies....or something like that

#7 6 years ago

Same as usual.

Bubble is gonna burst!!!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Same as usual.
    Bubble is gonna burst!!!

lol its a slow burst. I wish we could go back to see when that was first stated...what 2010 2011?
    I still remember a friend bought a MB that needed decals for 3800 and he was laughed at.

#9 6 years ago

Pricing has been all over the place since Gekko called out Teldar paper at the last investor meeting......

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

I'm just shocked it's now post #10 and no one has blamed TRUMP yet.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

This sums it up. No other explanation needed.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I'm just shocked it's now post #10 and no one has blamed TRUMP yet.

Why would you be surprised?

Only an asshole would introduce politics into a thread for absolutely no reason. Fortunately most of us have some restraint and decorum!

#13 6 years ago

Ok let me ask the masses. You buy a brand new pin take it home put 20 to 50 games on it over a weeks time. If you now want to sell it how much should be taken off for being slightly used? Bottom line what is the box worth?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Ok let me ask the masses. You buy a brand new pin take it home put 20 to 50 games on it over a weeks time. If you now want to sell it how much should be taken off for being slightly used? Bottom line what is the box worth?

Like driving a new car off the lot?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Like driving a new car off the lot?

Agreed but what should be an acceptable hit?

#16 6 years ago

$500-1000, like the old days.

Most HUO owners these days think the hit should be much less. It’s the same attitude that created the Assinine “NOOB” acronym.

But who knows? I have no idea what newish huo games are actually selling for these days. And most owners’ insistence on buying tons of pricey mods for their games and factoring that into their sale prices has really muddled the waters.

#17 6 years ago

Pretty sure some mods are worth buying. Agreed there are some old timers that get a little uneasy when they see extras on the games. They should offer 2 prices with and without the mods so some do not get confused.

#18 6 years ago

I am in the market for a couple newer games right now and the used prices in my area are so close to NIB pricing, I am probably just going to buy NIB.
    There a couple DI LE close to me and that are priced in the high 8’s and NIB is basically the same or lower.
    People seem to want a lot for used games, atleast in my area.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Pretty sure some mods are worth buying. Agreed there are some old timers that get a little uneasy when they see extras on the games. They should offer 2 prices with and without the mods so some do not get confused.

No, they should be willing to eat most of the cost on these stupid things that nobody told them to buy in the first place, or offer to remove them all and sell the game at a more sensical price, which nobody wants to do because they would end up stuck with a bunch of crap they don’t want.

Rare exceptions would be things with tangible value and established cost that could be used on other games, like color dmd.

#20 6 years ago

I have been doing some looking at prices now compared to a few years ago.

A few factors. NIB pinballs have gone up in the same timeframe. Part of it is the rise in copper prices, and that should affect the value of used pins as well as they're made of the same stuff. Probably more for your 90s WPC pins than new Sterns, even.

Love it or hate it, video emulation of real-world tables via Pinball Arcade has pulled people into real pinball, and inspired people to buy real machines. It helped rekindle a love for the game in people like me who quit playing much when location pinball died as it had been. These video simulations can help take an old, forgotten game like TX-Sector and turn it into the cult classic it's sort of become. Then of course it drives up the market for A-titles like AFM, and subsequently the games further down the PS Top 100 like Getaway, Fish Tales etc.

Basically I should have bought pinballs sometime between the death of the neighborhood arcade in the late 90s, and 2010. That's what I've concluded.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

They should offer 2 prices with and without the mods so some do not get confused.

Some still get confused.

#22 6 years ago

This makes me laugh. I look at pricing on here and several Facebook pinball groups and all I see are cheap prices compared to California. Like is said above, it’s supply and demand. If I had the desire, I’d rent a big tuck and start on the East Coast and make my way home buying up pins to sell on the West Coast for a healthy profit.

As for “mods”, I wish people would keep that cheesy crap off of machines. I will not pay $1 extra for a bunch of dolls and Hot Wheels bolted all over an otherwise well-designed playfield.

#23 6 years ago

Before and After of my Simpson's pinball party.
    Perhaps not on all games but some games look way better with upgrades. And if it looks good and does not alter original game play then I feel people should be able to ask more money for their game.

Just my opinion.

20171214_194109 (resized).jpg20171214_194109 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225818 (resized).jpg20180121_225818 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225909 (resized).jpg20180121_225909 (resized).jpg

20180121_225845 (resized).jpg20180121_225845 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from _KIRK_:

This makes me laugh. I look at pricing on here and several Facebook pinball groups and all I see are cheap prices compared to California. Like is said above, it’s supply and demand. If I had the desire, I’d rent a big tuck and start on the East Coast and make my way home buying up pins to sell on the West Coast for a healthy profit.
    As for “mods”, I wish people would keep that cheesy crap off of machines. I will not pay $1 extra for a bunch of dolls and Hot Wheels bolted all over an otherwise well-designed playfield.

There is something to this post. The way I see it, there are just a lot more people that are playing pinball on the west coast and there are so many more locations and leagues. That just makes the demand for machines greater than most Midwest, Southern, or East coast communities. It makes sense that prices are higher the further West you travel. Just look at the Pinball map. Look at Seattle. Do you know how many weekly tournaments are held every weekend in Seattle? It’s mind boggling compared to 10 years ago. Chicago is similar.

I mean even in my city, there are no more than 3 or 4 locations in the entire city that even have more than one machine and generally there are one or two tournaments a month here with about 10-20 people at each, on average.

A lot of times the scene actually determines how strong the market in your area is for Pinball.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

There is something to this post. The way I see it, there are just a lot more people that are playing pinball on the west coast and there are so many more locations and leagues. That just makes the demand for machines greater than most Midwest, Southern, or East coast communities. It makes sense that prices are higher the further West you travel. Just look at the Pinball map. Look at Seattle. Do you know how many weekly tournaments are held every weekend in Seattle? It’s mind boggling compared to 10 years ago.

Correct. In my smallish town (about 20 minutes from San Francisco) alone there are three places with 10+ machines who regularly have tournaments. In the entire San Francisco Bay Area there are probably 30+ places. Including the Pacific Pinball Museum.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I bought Aerosmith LE $8200 put 100games on and sold it for $6900. Rob Zombie bought for $6800 put 150 games sold it for $5000. The Walking Dead bought for $6300 NIB sold for $6700. Iron Man bought for $4800, sold for $5200 with some mods. Unless there is some hot title, the profitable times are over. If there is a hot title, they will re run it. So plan on losing 15% at least as soon as you crack open the box.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

I bought Aerosmith LE $8200 put 100games on and sold it for $6900. Rob Zombie bought for $6800 put 150 games sold it for $5000. The Walking Dead bought for $6300 NIB sold for $6700. Iron Man bought for $4800, sold for $5200 with some mods. Unless there is some hot title, the profitable times are over. If there is a hot title, they will re run it. So plan on losing 15% at least as soon as you crack open the box.

Ouch..
    Send me a pm next time you buy a new game.

I was starting to think it was only me losing alot of money in this hobby.

#28 6 years ago

As an example. I listed my 100%-working, player-condition, Fireball Classic on Craigslist this weekend for $2,400. It took just a few hours before I had it sold for $2,300. I’ll bet everyone 500 miles east of me and further thinks they overpaid by $1,600. The buyer was happy to pay it, and I had three more parties interested before I deleted the ad. My ad on here ran for longer and didn’t get one response.

That said, if I’d been selling in Southern California I’d easily have been able to get even another few hundred dollars.

It’s also very frustrating that machines I want aren’t even available out here at any price with any kind of regularity, but I find several examples on here 2,500 miles away with no one willing to ship. Because of that, I pay a premium for what I want when it comes along. As do most others on the West Coast.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

Will you please pick up a Batman 66 for a weekend and then sell it to me? Thanks!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from _KIRK_:

Will you please pick up a Batman 66 for a weekend and then sell it to me? Thanks!

Batman 66 is Next on my list I will get mine this week let you know shortly if it is for sale.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Batman 66 is Next on my list I will get mine this week let you know shortly if it is for sale.

BM66 is looking more and more attractive all the time. That game has came a long way.....enjoy!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Ouch..
    Send me a pm next time you buy a new game.

I was starting to think it was only me losing alot of money in this hobby.

Your collection is all the newest stuff and LEs to boot. If you want some measure of price/value stability you'll need to change your approach and either buy classics that won't be remade (80's classics), oddballs (Joust, Varkon, Safe Cracker), or other titles that are stable (90's DMDs that currently sell for less than what CGC would want to sell remakes for). As others have said, the remakes, VEs, and premiums have generally hurt the LE and upper end resale market.

Also, don't spend money on mods you aren't prepared to lose. You can get some money out of mods but it won't be what you put in it.

#33 6 years ago

I appreciate the advise. However I love making the games as nice as they can be. At least in my eyes. Not so much about the money for me so If I lose Meh. So be it. I will not sell to a flipper so at least if I take a loss someone else is appreciating all of my hard work. I have realized I appreciate games alot more when I customize them. Only been collecting for a short time but I have been in the Amusement industry for 15 years. New and shiny is what attracts me. Out of your 3 I have played Safe Cracker and I enjoyed it but I did not see where it would have longevity in my collection. I have played most all of the classics and it is hard to find CQ condition version of these titles. I like TOM but I feel Houdini will fill that void. Monster Bash is a title I have had to refrain from buying because I wanted to see what the MBRLE would look like. However I do love that game.

#34 6 years ago

ToM is getting a remake too.

I've read about MB selling for $12K. Not for long.

#35 6 years ago

I find it interesting that some games seem to be bought or sold much better on Craigslist or Facebook then Pinside. I’ve only ever sold or bought off Pinside so maybe I’m missing out...

#36 6 years ago

Things are slowing down some imo.... things taking longer to sell even if its a fair deal. Lack of room and prices are really high compared to just 3 years ago. To much market saturation with so many new company's and pins.... figured afmrle wld be long sold out but they are still easily available with only 1000 made.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I find it interesting that some games seem to be bought or sold much better on Craigslist or Facebook then Pinside. I’ve only ever sold or bought off Pinside so maybe I’m missing out...

Those are newbies being suckered into a high priced game like that Fireball Classic that don't know it's a $1000 game at best.

John

#38 6 years ago

There are two groups of buyers.

There is the uneducated, played it on pinball arcade, gotta have it, I'm 40-50 and I'm bored and need something to do or collect and mod, deep pockets, no problem with the price, If thats what they're asking, hell, that's what I'm paying, group.

Then there is the pinball player, the die hard that loves the game. They are patient, know some people that can hook them up, they look under the rocks, hunt, and from time to time buy the games they want for hundreds and sometimes thousands less than price guides created by the above group.

The first group drove prices to the moon, and expects the second group to ride that rocket. I personally never went for that cosmic ride.

#39 6 years ago

As long as manufacturers keep raising the entry fee for the new machine market then used machine prices will continue to keep pace and rise in value.

Here is the typical scenario I hear on a daily basis when conversing with new buyers:
    Most new entrants to the market just want a feature complete full sized pinball machine for their gamesroom - when they do some googling and see the entry level pricing in Australia for a new machine is $8250, then all of a sudden a used refurbished and redecalled Getaway/Fish Tales/Judge Dredd for $4000 doesn't seem all that unreasonable. They are quite happy to pay that price for a now 25 year old machine provided it is shopped out and most importantly fully working when it leaves my premises and they take possession of it.

Remember these are not your hard core pinheads who are willing to max out credit cards to get that 30 second NIB endorphin rush 2-3 times a year. They just want a working machine to put in their gamesroom next to the pool table and the 60-in1. If that eventuates to a second machine or even more then all good, but I predict given the pricing that the number of new single used machine owner sales is now far outstripping total NIB sales across the board at least in Australia. This is from the twenty year sales high back in 2012 when ACDC had the price point sweet spot on NIB sales (under 6k for entry level and change from 10k for an LE) and ops were actually buying Pro machines hand over fist to put on location. How they managed to screw local sales up in just 5 years to a fraction of what they are now beggars belief but I lay the blame solely on entry point pricing and essentially abandoning one of the legs of their core business: operators.

I feel the pain of the ever shrinking pool of current new in box buyers and have virtually halted buying NIB machines myself as a result of pricing, but from a purely business standpoint as a used machine container importer I hope the trend continues as it justifies the intitial upfront outlay and the market down here is still expanding with new entrants every day just not via NIB machines.

Personally from what I see and hear the used machine market is less about supply/demand principles (with a big enough chequebook there are very few machines that I have been unable to locate from anywhere in the world) and more about the fact that entry level pricing on NIB machines is becoming too much for the "average joe" new entrants to even contemplate.

#40 6 years ago

We'll said.

John

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

As long as manufacturers keep raising the entry fee for the new machine market then used machine prices will continue to keep pace and rise in value.
    Here is the typical scenario I hear on a daily basis when conversing with new buyers:
    Most new entrants to the market just want a feature complete full sized pinball machine for their gamesroom - when they do some googling and see the entry level pricing in Australia for a new machine is $8250, then all of a sudden a used refurbished and redecalled Getaway/Fish Tales/Judge Dredd for $4000 doesn't seem all that unreasonable. They are quite happy to pay that price for a now 25 year old machine provided it is shopped out and most importantly fully working when it leaves my premises and they take possession of it.
    Remember these are not your hard core pinheads who are willing to max out credit cards to get that 30 second NIB endorphin rush 2-3 times a year. They just want a working machine to put in their gamesroom next to the pool table and the 60-in1. If that eventuates to a second machine or even more then all good, but I predict given the pricing that the number of new single used machine owners are far outstripping total NIB sales across the board at least in Australia. This is from the twenty year sales high back in 2012 when ACDC had the price point sweet spot on NIB sales (under 6k for entry level and change from 10k for an LE) and ops were actually buying Pro machines hand over fist to put on location. How they managed to screw local sales up in just 5 years to a fraction of what they are now beggars belief but I lay the blame solely on entry point pricing and essentially abandoning one of the legs of their core business: operators.
    I feel the pain of the ever shrinking pool of current new in box buyers and have virtually halted buying NIB machines myself as a result of pricing, but from a purely business standpoint as a used machine container importer I hope the trend continues as it justifies the intitial upfront outlay and the market down here is still expanding with new entrants every day just not via NIB machines.
    Personally from what I see and hear the used machine market is less about supply/demand principles (with a big enough chequebook there are very few machines that I have been unable to locate from anywhere in the world) and more about the fact that entry level pricing on NIB machines is becoming too much for the "average joe" new entrants to even contemplate.

It’s not what manufacturers are asking for NIB pricing, it’s what collectors are willing to pay. If people weren’t paying, then prices would fall - dramatically.

Yes, used pricing is being pulled along with the meteoric rise in NIB pricing. People now have that “I need to get this price so I can afford to buy that,” type of mentality. But, ultimately, prices wouldn’t be jumping if the buying pool wasn’t spending.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s not what manufacturers are asking for NIB pricing, it’s what collectors are willing to pay. If people weren’t paying, then prices would fall - dramatically.
    Yes, used pricing is being pulled along with the meteoric rise in NIB pricing. People now have that “I need to get this price so I can afford to buy that,” type of mentality. But, ultimately, prices wouldn’t be jumping if the buying pool wasn’t spending.

Chicken and the Egg -> both are true. Higher NIB pricing IS pushing prices up *AND* enough people are paying it, so the prices keep raising.
    It really all started with JJP having the new "vision" of a premium pinball company selling games at $6500 when current NIB games were less than 4K. The market has been playing leap frog with NIB pricing on "premium/LE/CE" games since then.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Before and After of my Simpson's pinball party.
    Perhaps not on all games but some games look way better with upgrades. And if it looks good and does not alter original game play then I feel people should be able to ask more money for their game.
    Just my opinion.

The only upgrade on that Simpson's I'd pay extra for is the color dmd. It would actually cost me money to remove the yellow powder coat armor and install new stuff.

#44 6 years ago

Remove everything but the color dmd.
    That's hilarious.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Chicken and the Egg -> both are true. Higher NIB pricing IS pushing prices up *AND* enough people are paying it, so the prices keep raising.
    It really all started with JJP having the new "vision" of a premium pinball company selling games at $6500 when current NIB games were less than 4K. The market has been playing leap frog with NIB pricing on "premium/LE/CE" games since then.

This isn’t a scenario of necessity buying on the part of the customer (eg, pharmaceuticals, cars, etc).

There is no scenario where Pinball manufacturers would continue asking high prices if customers stopped buying. If everyone stopped buying, prices would fall... and they’d fall rapidly. Anyone that’s bought NIB in the last 4 years is the exact reason manufacturers keep edging up prices.

Listen to Kaneda’s interview with Roger Sharpe. Probably one of the best podcast interviews in recent years... and Sharpe, an experienced industry veteran, spells it all out pretty clearly.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Remove everything but the color dmd.
    That's hilarious.

Looks hilarious the way it is now.

#47 6 years ago

The high prices are why doing I've been working out temporary pin trades with local guys. Get us both a new game for a month or more with no money out of pocket. The hobby is about PLAYING pinball for me, not collecting games or constantly scouring ads and sites for any deals.

High prices are also why a game like Big Hurt is a keeper for me. Even if I run out of space in my bar, I'll keep it in the workshop. Heckuva of fun and LOADED game for $1000ish. I don't need current or late model games to have fun and don't have collector's DNA where I feel I have to "keep up" with other Pinsiders.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Looks hilarious the way it is now.

Agreed. But some still get confused about thinking they’ll get all their money back for making a game look ridiculous.

#49 6 years ago

i believe its the remakes and the vaults that have ended the limited aspect. I have seen price deflation of several titles as stern etc remake games to satisfy demand.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Agreed. But some still get confused about thinking they’ll get all their money back for making a game look ridiculous.

Please note the game that was pictured sold for 8,500.00 with 4 full price back up offers in one day. I'm sure there are a few people out there like you that do not like a modern touch on things however there is a big population that appreciates the upgrades.

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-pinball-prices-what-is-going-on?hl=metengo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.