Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by R8f1k
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quotefranklin (resized).jpg
    Revised_PinballPrices.com-Logo-Final-PNG (resized).png
    search (resized).jpg
    794dfca7068b7f22d9b2a2a2853f04f051e30f20 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225845 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225909 (resized).jpg
    20180121_225818 (resized).jpg
    20171214_194109 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That yellow trim looks gawd awful for starters.

Arts & crafts time.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Maybe I am alone in this, but it would be nice if we did not have to see a bunch of pinstadium photos in threads that having nothing to do with it. Want to post these in pinstadiums thread, great, in a thread about TSPP, sure, want to create a new thread to show them off, go for it. But this spamming of pinstadium photos in any thread that mentions 'mod' is becoming a nuisance.

Wait, why did you bring up Pinstadium if it bothers you so much? You are the first one to mention it in this thread. Should we not post any photos of pins that happen to have Pinstadium?

Pinstadium haters are the most ridiculous thing on pinside these days.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Arts & crafts time.

But when is play time? We still play these things sometimes, right?

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

But when is play time? We still play these things sometimes, right?

When you spend all your time on pimping out your pin, you shouldn't be shocked it looks like a cheap whore.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I know this comes across as "angry man shouts at cloud" in many ways, but man, for those that were around 10 years ago, the current scene in pinball can be really frustrating when dealing in the secondhand market. You have so many self-proclaimed experts that have less flips under their belt than my 5-year old that are all too eager to make their bold statements on pinball and pinball pricing. New people in the hobby are great, but loudmouth newbies with big wallets are often a bit tough to handle. From my "Pinball has Been Gentrified" article:
    "If not for the money infusion brought into the hobby by the new blood pinball machine collector, NIB pinball could very well have died off. With operators decreasing in number, NIB sales weren’t exactly healthy just a few short years ago. Today, each new release has a willing and ready buying audience, and games are selling in numbers that are more in line with pinball’s better days, even with the prices of current games skyrocketing. I do appreciate being able to see a steady stream of new games.
    But the lack of taste, tact, respect, and knowledge that many of these new bloods bring makes dealing with them hard. These new collectors value theme and collectible nature over gameplay and fun factor. When a new game is being announced, these new collectors tend to value the theme first and foremost, the art second, the sound third, the number of LE versions produced fourth, what others will think of their purchase fifth, what video clips show up on the LCD sixth, how many layers of clearcoat it has seventh, and a few other things before we get down to questioning whether or not it’s any fun at probably a distant 12th. 
    The new blood collector has a pinball memory that extends back to Stern’s Lord of the Rings at the earliest, with some passing knowledge of the “A list” games from the late-era Bally/Williams catalog. Despite this fundamental lack of pinball knowledge, they’ll be the first to tell you all the reasons why LCD displays are a true “game changer for pinball” and playing any games with DMD, alphanumeric, or *gasp* mechanical reels, is a giant waste of one’s life.
    The new blood collector is also an aggravating individual to deal with when buying or selling a machine. Everything they have for sale is listed above NIB pricing and they’re quick to point out that they’ve managed to shoved three aisles of Toys R Us products under the playfield, all the superbright purple LEDs they’ve put in the GI, their wicked cool topper, and that the game has less than 300 plays. Heck, less than 100 plays is common. But when you’re listing your well cared for machine, they want extreme close ups of the shooter lane, because if there’s an even tiny mark, it’s hard pass for them (or they want to knock like $1000 of asking price).
    To put it clearly, the new blood collector tends to be a know nothing know-it-all with a loud voice. Sure, they have money, but they’re miserable to be around. They put some shine into the hobby with their money infusion, but they trample over so much in that process."

I mean... Jeff... didn’t you pay insane LE money for GB because it was your dream theme?

Did you pay inexcess of $8k for DI before playing it enough to know it meets criteria #12 on your list?

So many collectors that have been in this hobby for 5+ years wax poetic about the good old days of finding TAF for under $2k... but they also gleefully weave stories about how they couldn’t afford to be in the hobby of it weren’t for the fact that they bought cheap and have ridden the wave to sell high.

There’s plenty of new blood buyers that enjoy collecting for the sake of playing games. Might some of them have money? Yes. Might some enjoy putting color LEDs in their game? Maybe. But, wow, that little piece you wrote is a gross mischaracterization and generalization, especially when so many long time collectors practically break into pools of sweat over dream themes.

You can’t have it both ways.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

The high prices are why doing I've been working out temporary pin trades with local guys. Get us both a new game for a month or more with no money out of pocket. The hobby is about PLAYING pinball for me, not collecting games or constantly scouring ads and sites for any deals.

LOVE this idea!!!

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I mean... Jeff... didn’t you pay insane LE money for GB because it was your dream theme?
    Did you pay inexcess of $8k for DI before playing it enough to know it meets criteria #12 on your list?
    So many collectors that have been in this hobby for 5+ years wax poetic about the good old days of finding TAF for under $2k... but they also gleefully weave stories about how they couldn’t afford to be in the hobby of it weren’t for the fact that they bought cheap and have ridden the wave to sell high.
    There’s plenty of new blood buyers that enjoy collecting for the sake of playing games. Might some of them have money? Yes. Might some enjoy putting color LEDs in their game? Maybe. But, wow, that little piece you wrote is a gross mischaracterization and generalization, especially when so many long time collectors practically break into pools of sweat over dream themes.
    You can’t have it both ways.

I don't mind people spending money in the hobby. That's necessary. What is annoying is the ones that come in acting like they're experts on the hobby and will proudly wave their hand over their "all NIB" row of games behind them while talking mad garbage about someone's System 11 row of games that they've never even actually had firsthand experience with. It's stupid.

Not everybody new to the hobby is problematic, but there are a lot of really awful people that have come onto the scene in the past few years. When "Is game X any fun?" threads give way to "Which Hot Wheels can I put into game Y?" threads, well, we've really lost our way as a hobby.

And yes, I bought a NIB GBLE and DILE, but I played both quite a bit before taking delivery. I had hours on both games and felt good about buying. I have a TNA on order (which I've also played). I would have bought Ghostbusters if it had been another theme, because I thought it was a blast to play. Having it be Ghostbusters was a huge bonus. It turned out to be a maintenance nightmare though, so I let it go until Stern can sort things out with SPIKE and their code. I'll probably grab one down the line again at some point if things work out.

Edit: This entire thread is here because someone who has been collecting for 9 months is confused about the secondhand market. NINE MONTHS?! That's a fairly short time to be in a hobby to be wringing hands over the direction of things.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

From which group do you consider pinside avg prices to originate?

This question is more complicated than it should be. The first group that pays a high price because they don't know any better, then price pumps the same game they overpaid for in other for sale threads because they own it and they paid a lot for it.

So it's typical to see things like ''Great price, I wouldn't part with mine for that!'' which also misleads other new people within that first group or people not familiar with pricing or production.
    Pinside has a good mix of both groups.

#109 6 years ago

Well, for the record, I’ve met quite a few old time collectors that will make you shake your head... and there’s quite a few tournament player types that carry the same arrogance you talk about.

You know what: each to their own. Why would let something like that affect you negatively? Who cares if someone values their NIB Sterns over SYS11?

#110 6 years ago

Food for thought, as many pinball fans are selling in this market:

While shopping for the titles I want in my collection, I have noticed an unfortunate trend. Sellers expect a fully shopped or collector's quality value, despite being no where near in condition or maintenance.
    Anyone else come across this? Can't blame a seller for trying, or establishing room to negotiate.
    Then they get upset by your honest and properly reassessed value. Thank goodness my list is near completion.

On a positive note, having arranged my pins accordingly in my game room, I have room for 3 more not on my wish list.

Ideas?

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I don't mind people spending money in the hobby. That's necessary. What is annoying is the ones that come in acting like they're experts on the hobby and will proudly wave their hand over their "all NIB" row of games behind them while talking mad garbage about someone's System 11 row of games that they've never even actually had firsthand experience with. It's stupid.

I haven't really seen this at all. Yes new people tend to gravitate towards new games but it is largely due to them not knowing how to fix a game and them thinking new means I won't have to fix it for a while. Anyone that does act slightly like that I just direct them over to my 1980 game for a friendly game of pinball to show them that there's lots of fun pinball in the world. Show them how to play something different and most of the time they really like older games.

There actually seemed to be more crooks in the hobby in the past then there are now in my opinion.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Well, for the record, I’ve met quite a few old time collectors that will make you shake your head... and there’s quite a few tournament player types that carry the same arrogance you talk about.
    You know what: each to their own. Why would let something like that affect you negatively? Who cares if someone values their NIB Sterns over SYS11?

They negatively impact the hobby as a whole. A lot of fantastic people have gone quiet in the hobby, because they simply can't deal with the new bloods. Stern Pinball is going more and more vanilla with their designs, because design is now secondary to theme. Code has suffered, because code is now secondary to LE trims. We've seen a true gentrification in our hobby, and it sucks.

On the local levels, there is still a lot of greatness in the hobby, but online, it's quite often a trash fire.

Things will correct over time. I really don't worry about the long-term health of the hobby from a player's perspective, but I do think collecting will see a bit of an upheaval when the flash-in-the-pan big spenders get bored or move on.

We need more people who like to play. People who collect simply to have/own/showcase are creating a hollow foundation for the pinball market. We're seeing stuff crumble a bit right now. I don' think the bottom will outright fall out, but a readjustment of sorts is on its way.

Edit: I should probably clarify that to me that the pinball hobby =/= the pinball industry.

#113 6 years ago
    #114 6 years ago

So many people not understanding basic supply and demand despite so many people coming up with great ways to explain it.

If I had to try to emphasize the most important aspect of this in three words it would be LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I never hear anyone from the west coast complaining about used pinball prices being high in the rest of the country. It's always the guy in the middle of Michigan decrying that a price in California should be lower. Because a particular machine in your area is worth X has little to no bearing on the price in another location. This is true with other large-sized collector items like classic cars (which I also collect). A price for car X in Ohio will never be the same for the same car being sold in California. It's very simple.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Not sure what is happening with the used market right now. This is alot of pins across the board. Remakes or Originals no one is immune.
    Games like Hobbit tanked and now they are higher and harder to come by. Some titles sell fast where most sit for no reason. Someone please shed some light on this topic.

LA market rocks. I just sold a beautiful GNR in 2 days to a great guy on Pinside. Pin had 2k in mods.

In Florida, it's a bit tougher to get folks to pay up for elaborate customization. No way to make general comments/conclusions about the pinball landscape. Varies greatly based on locale...just like real estate.

You seem to enjoy other folks approval/admiration. As the feedback indicates, tastes vary.

snaroff

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Food for thought, as many pinball fans are selling in this market:
    While shopping for the titles I want in my collection, I have noticed an unfortunate trend. Sellers expect a fully shopped or collector's quality value, despite being no where near in condition or maintenance.
    Anyone else come across this? Can't blame a seller for trying, or establishing room to negotiate.
    Then they get upset by your honest and properly reassessed value. Thank goodness my list is near completion.
    On a positive note, having arranged my pins accordingly in my game room, I have room for 3 more not on my wish list.
    Ideas?

Yes, I notice that a lot and even got a email back calling me a tight a** because I wouldn't pay his price. I am more than willing to pay fair price but both parties have to come up with a figure.

#117 6 years ago

Show me a game as it is.

First. Provide good pictures without someone asking at the time of the original post. Have any defects, show them. Don’t like “shooter lane” pics, take them anyway.
    Many buyers will make a decision to pass based on the first impression of your For Sale post or ad.

Second. Be damn sure you read and follow the first thing above.

Third. Have a reasonable price. You will know if your price is reasonable based on your response to the ad. Reasonable does not mean fair. Maybe you have a beautiful game with great pictures (like my Full Throttle last year), but the market is soft for that game. Lower the price until it sells. Mods are not going to get you a lot more money for your game. If I see and ad that says “RBION $6500 firm” I’m not going to click it. Period. I won’t get past the title to see all of the gold leaf you have added.

Oops.. I’m ranting. That felt good!
    A recurring thread topic with some good input.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from _KIRK_:

So many people not understanding basic supply and demand despite so many people coming up with great ways to explain it.
    If I had to try to emphasize the most important aspect of this in three words it would be LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I never hear anyone from the west coast complaining about used pinball prices being high in the rest of the country. It's always the guy in the middle of Michigan decrying that a price in California should be lower. Because a particular machine in your area is worth X has little to no bearing on the price in another location. This is true with other large-sized collector items like classic cars (which I also collect). A price for car X in Ohio will never be the same for the same car being sold in California. It's very simple.

I agree and also hate it when someone says it is RARE. Just saw a ad for a EM Honey but I have seen 3 around here within a few months and it has a 6,000 item run.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

I am in the market for a couple newer games right now and the used prices in my area are so close to NIB pricing, I am probably just going to buy NIB.
    There a couple DI LE close to me and that are priced in the high 8’s and NIB is basically the same or lower.
    People seem to want a lot for used games, atleast in my area.

I agree, why would I pay 8,000 for HUO game, when NIB with a warranty is 8,500?
    Don't get me wrong, I have a MMR that cost me $8500 with mods that I wouldn't sale for less the 8K, but then again I wouldn't buy it just to play it then decide I didn't like it.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

there is a big population that appreciates the upgrades.

Your upgrades made the pin look more like a cartoon. Seeing that The Simpsons is a cartoon, I'd consider the upgrades a success . If BW made that pin back in the 90s, I'm fairly certain they would have power coated the wire ramps ... they really pop on that theme. Nice job!

#121 6 years ago

People keep bitching about mods but the fact is modded games sell and usually at a higher price than unmodded. I've listed games both ways (priced with and without the mods) and so far I've always sold with the mods at the higher value. Granted a large portion of that added value was usually the color DMD, but I recall selling my Getaway with no color DMD for more money becasue of the mods. Most Getaway fans loved that added "tunnel/mountain" mod.

His TSPP might not be to your liking (mine either) but don't kid yourself that there are not a lot of people out there who absolutely LOVE brightly colored custom powder coating....there just are.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

What is annoying is the ones that come in acting like they're experts on the hobby and will proudly wave their hand over their "all NIB" row of games behind them while talking mad garbage about someone's System 11 row of games that they've never even actually had firsthand experience with. It's stupid.

See, personally what I've noticed the most is em fans will trash other peoples non-em games. I mean generally speaking there's always some people that oddly seem to get off on trashing the games in other peoples collections, but I notice it more with the older game crowd trashing the newer game crowd. Interesting that we see the opposite thing though, I suppose it depends what threads you hang out in I guess.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

New to Pinside. I have no idea what has been discussed

You've been here almost a year, but ok I'll play along. Hi, welcome to Pinside! Please note this useful feature:

it exists for a reasonit exists for a reason

Constantly creating new threads on topics which have already been covered 35 times makes it seem like you crave putting yourself at the center of the conversation.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

See, personally what I've noticed the most is em fans will trash other peoples non-em games. I mean generally speaking there's always some people that oddly seem to get off on trashing the games in other peoples collections, but I notice it more with the older game crowd trashing the newer game crowd. Interesting that we see the opposite thing though, I suppose it depends what threads you hang out in I guess.

There's been a growing push back against newer collectors from the old guard. Not all of that push back is justified and some of it is just downright angry old man behavior. But a lot of that push is a natural reaction to some pretty poor behavior. This happens in every hobby.

I remember the early 2000s when the video game console wars were pretty fierce between the growing Xbox loyalists, the old guard Nintendo fans, and the overwhelmingly large PlayStation fans. A lot of the obnoxious "Halo is the best game ever!" and "News flash, idiot, gaming didn't start with Halo" arguments are scarily similar to the back and forth we see in pinball right now.

A resurgence in any market will draw old timers and newcomers into the same arena, and bad behavior can crop up on either side.

#125 6 years ago

People need to be kinder around here. I respect the 10+ year collector (actually enjoy listening to The Black Knight), but after paying $5,000+ for a machine or two and I think you've earned the right to speak your opinion. And if you don't agree, fine. But let's be civil, whether you are a 10+ year veteran, EM only person, collector, player, or whatever.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

There's been a growing push back against newer collectors from the old guard. A resurgence in any market will draw old timers and newcomers into the same arena, and bad behavior can crop up on either side.

I have only EM's but I have played some of the SS pins. I do like a few Big Game comes to mind as a few others. I have played #black hole really didn't like the two story pins. But that is just me. Hey if you like the play of the game why not?

#127 6 years ago

When there's a $3400 Goldeneye sitting in the Marketplace, the title of this thread is appropriate.

#128 6 years ago

OK, here's a perfect current example of used pinball supply and demand, right here on Pinside:

The two machines listed below are in the classifieds on here right now. Both are apparently working at 100% (one needing only very minor tweaks to bumpers). One is in clearly better physical condition than the other. Both are essentially the same price. I'd be VERY happy paying the $1300 for the better example of the two in Illinois because I am currently in the market for a Wizard. If it was for sale near me, I'd be waiting in their driveway in my truck right now. I have never seen a Wizard in comparable condition for less than $2k anywhere near me. Since this seller is not willing to ship, I am stuck with three choices in this situation: 1) Buy the machine in worse physical condition and spend a lot of money getting it into presentable condition after paying another big chunk of cash getting it to my house. 2) Keep looking and hoping for one in good condition that the seller will ship, then also pay $300-600 to get it to me. 3) Buy one close to me at a premium price, compared to one on the other side of the country.

So, a reasonable scenario would be that I could get the $1,300 machine in my hands for about $1900 and it still needs some work, plus any adjustments/repairs needed because of shipping, and I wasn't even able to play the game to verify the seller's description. This is why I would MUCH rather pay over $2k for a local (or semi-local) machine that I could play first and transport myself. Then I have to listen to the people who don't understand location-based supply and demand complain about pricing.

It doesn't get any more plain and simple. If you can't understand this basic principle, you really need to just stop complaining on the Internet. It makes you look ignorant.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/58898

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57565

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Those are newbies being suckered into a high priced game like that Fireball Classic that don't know it's a $1000 game at best.
    John

Just because you continue to "SAY" that it's a $1000 pin doesn't "MAKE" it a $1000 pin.

Supply and Demand should have ended this topic.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Just because you continue to "SAY" that it's a $1000 pin doesn't "MAKE" it a $1000 pin.

100% correct.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from _KIRK_:

Then I have to listen to the people who don't understand location-based supply and demand complain about pricing.

Sure... because the same people don't understand the term 'anecdotal' either Somehow people think a game is some defined value.. and they spend 90% of their hobby time thinking about it.. instead of enjoying things.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

To be clear it is a $1,000 pin... until the person claiming that goes to sell it. Then it is a $5k pin all day long because you’ve never seen one like it in your life.

Edit: I wasn’t actually making a comment on a price of any given pinball game but merely saying how everyone criticizes pricing until they are trying to sell something.

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure... because the same people don't understand the term 'anecdotal' either Somehow people think a game is some defined value.. and they spend 90% of their hobby time thinking about it.. instead of enjoying things.

Unfortunately, you're right.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

They negatively impact the hobby as a whole. A lot of fantastic people have gone quiet in the hobby, because they simply can't deal with the new bloods. Stern Pinball is going more and more vanilla with their designs, because design is now secondary to theme. Code has suffered, because code is now secondary to LE trims. We've seen a true gentrification in our hobby, and it sucks.
    On the local levels, there is still a lot of greatness in the hobby, but online, it's quite often a trash fire.
    Things will correct over time. I really don't worry about the long-term health of the hobby from a player's perspective, but I do think collecting will see a bit of an upheaval when the flash-in-the-pan big spenders get bored or move on.
    We need more people who like to play. People who collect simply to have/own/showcase are creating a hollow foundation for the pinball market. We're seeing stuff crumble a bit right now. I don' think the bottom will outright fall out, but a readjustment of sorts is on its way.
    Edit: I should probably clarify that to me that the pinball hobby =/= the pinball industry.

Design is secondary to theme? Are you sure about this?

There are plenty of examples from the last 3 years where design was given top priority. As for Stern, they're simply tweaking and recycling designs because they can. And let's be honest, here... are Stern's choices with KISS vs Aero or MET/IM/GOTG, for example, really all that different from the design similarities we saw some Williams's pins (Lawlor pins, for one)?

Look, ultimately you're letting something bother you (new bloods) that is super easy to control and turn off. It's the internet. Hit ignore or Drain this Post and be done with it. Why let it bother you? I customized my Pinside experience using the ignore button and all of the folks that introduced any kind of negative (from my point of view) are now beyond an after thought. You should try it. Would make you way happier.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Please note the game that was pictured sold for 8,500.00 with 4 full price back up offers in one day.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Maybe I am alone in this, but it would be nice if we did not have to see a bunch of pinstadium photos in threads that having nothing to do with it. Want to post these in pinstadiums thread, great, in a thread about TSPP, sure, want to create a new thread to show them off, go for it. But this spamming of pinstadium photos in any thread that mentions 'mod' is becoming a nuisance.

Must be nice people treat you like a rockstar when it was pointed out your post was nothing but fiction. Me...i don't worship no one but my family, although I might be alone in this.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Not sure what is happening with the used market right now.

ebay.com link: 0

^^^ this LOL

Sorry if someone already shared that, I'm just getting into this thread

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

ebay.com link
    ^^^ this LOL

Bwahahaha! Looks like it would be great for the play field too.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

ebay.com link
    ^^^ this LOL

The title says it all. "antique pinball pin ball original who kiss wizard happy days fonzie pachinko ace"

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

ebay.com link
    ^^^ this LOL

The description is even better:

I was ditching/cutting class from a Van Nuys Ca high school in the spring of 1982. My friends and I hung out (420) in a house on Coldwater Canyon that had caught fire years before. There was an empty pool and the guys would skateboard there flying very high. They also went above the rim of the pool... Amongst the burned out remains of one of the rooms- still standing was an old pinball machine. The ready to go balls were all gone. I dug out the last shot ball.

That is how I GOTS it. You have a history

I do not remember the name of the machine- but a cowboy on the headboard is in my memory of that day. The house was not torn down but repaired in the late 80s- is now worth a LOT of money.

ask questions before buying

I try and ship asap

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Couldn't pay me to take that ugly shit

lot of people this thread are just straight up dicks and trolls. not sure how I wound up on this thread, so I think I'll leave now.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

lot of people this thread are just straight up dicks and trolls. not sure how I wound up on this thread, so I think I'll leave now.

Thanks for the update.

Oh could you take ASOA's ball for him; thanks.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Thanks for the update.
    Oh could you take ASOA's ball for him; thanks.

that's actually pretty good.

except, I'm not real sure why everyone is picking on this ASOA guy.

#144 6 years ago

the ages i see are more like 25 to 35. Those are the ones (newbees) paying high dollar for B/C titles like super mario, back to the future, tmnt, etc. purchasing their 1st, 2nd game etc. the good thing i noticed, they are not as picky condition wise and don't nit pick games and accept wear etc as they realize, you play the game, not the "faded" cabinet, etc.

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

There are two groups of buyers.
    There is the uneducated, played it on pinball arcade, gotta have it, I'm 40-50 and I'm bored and need something to do or collect and mod, deep pockets, no problem with the price, If thats what they're asking, hell, that's what I'm paying, group.
    Then there is the pinball player, the die hard that loves the game. They are patient, know some people that can hook them up, they look under the rocks, hunt, and from time to time buy the games they want for hundreds and sometimes thousands less than price guides created by the above group.
    The first group drove prices to the moon, and expects the second group to ride that rocket. I personally never went for that cosmic ride.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Most Getaway fans loved that added "tunnel/mountain" mod.

That's because that was a prototype feature that got axed.

When it is a "feature that almost was" most people like to add that stuff. Kind of like Scared Stiff with the skull pile. Holy shit, I can't remember the last time I saw a Scared Stiff without that mod.

#147 6 years ago

Mods that restore things that were cut from budget, help players identify shots better, or can look great with distracting from play are all well and good. A ton of toys that block sight lines or bright flashing crap can be left out of the game.

2 months later
    #148 6 years ago

A little self-promotion here, but to check out where prices really are over the last 24 months go to www.PinballPrices.com (with a 's' - NOT the other guys that have been down for 2 years). All the sales are verified and have a direct link to that sale! eBay is about half the database of 700 sales (updated DAILY) but the other half are online and onsite auction sales that I have pulled. Prices do not reflect sales within the "pinball community" - private sales that I have no way to actually verify.

The database is powered by AirTable and searchable in desktop view, scan-able in mobile. Let me know what you think and how I can improve the site.

Revised_PinballPrices.com-Logo-Final-PNG (resized).pngRevised_PinballPrices.com-Logo-Final-PNG (resized).png

#149 6 years ago

Quite a few prices for "private" pinball sales are listed on Pinside for all to see. Seems like it will just be a smaller slice of information than the Boston site if it's only eBay sales. I don't think a daily update is really necessary for pin sales. Sure they change from year to year a bit but daily? Nah.

#150 6 years ago

I'm jumping right to the end of this thread, so perhaps I'm repeating something. My general rule is to buy where I see value, however right now I'm out of space. If space were not an issue I'd be looking at games that came out around the System 9 era. They can be found in the $1,000 range still and offer a lot of bang for your buck.

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-pinball-prices-what-is-going-on/page/3?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.