(Topic ID: 4448)

Used parts: keep or pitch?

By The_Gorilla

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I have some slightly damaged plastic star posts, barely dirty rubber, old legs, leg bolts, etc. Do you all just pitch this stuff or keep it around? The rubber is still "supple" and that was what I am mostly concerned about.

If it seems like there isn't much use for it, I don't want to become my Mom and pack rat EVERYTHING!

#2 12 years ago

I keep parts which still have a use. An extra set of legs and bolts are nice for when you are repainting the originals. I would ditch old rubber and broken posts.

#3 12 years ago

You would be surprised how leg bolts can clean up
    and who knows one day you might score a pin for next to nothing without any legs?

#4 12 years ago

Unless it is plain toasted, I keep old parts. You never know when you need something to get you by until you can order something new. Or you may have a machine that is more of a player and you may not care if it has old legs on it or plastic that is not new.

As for the rubber, if it is still pliable, not worn, and is just dirty, a quick clean up with Simple Green or Naptha can bring it back. Seems like I never have the size I need and often a quick clean up will save the day.

Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

You would be surprised how leg bolts can clean up and who knows one day you might score a pin for next to nothing without any legs?

I've been amazed at the success I've had with cleaning up chrome legs. A little work with steel wool and they shine right up. The backs are often rusted more than the front. In that case, I spray the back with Duplicolor chrome spray paint. The Duplicolor chrome looks much more like the real thing than other chrome spray paints. And on the back of a leg, you really can't notice.

#5 12 years ago

Nice tip stangbat - love that simple green stuff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-parts-keep-or-pitch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.