(Topic ID: 172243)

Used (modern) game prices are going up, anyone buying?

By Nevus

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've noted an uptick in used game pricing, particularly modern Sterns, over the last few months. I'm seeing a lot of HUO pro models at $5,xxx and up. While I certainly understand that people don't like to loose money, I have no intention of paying someone for their enjoyment of the game. These games could be had $4,xxx delivered NIB to their house at the time of purchase. It feels like many sellers are trying to match the new higher NIB prices. Maybe it's inevitable, but I'm not having any for now. These aren't low run, boutique or even classic 90s games with a known value. I'm talking about games made in the last 5 or so years in large numbers. I looked today at the market and did see several reasonable priced games, but they seem to be the minority. Anyone else notice this? Sellers, are you getting these higher asking prices?

#2 7 years ago

I have not been watching pricing lately but in the past I noticed most Stern games for sale are loaded with mods. That was especially true with MET. I know some guys think mods do not add value but sellers always look to get some of that money back.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I have not been watching pricing lately but in the past I noticed most Stern games for sale are loaded with mods. That was especially true with MET. I know some guys think mods do not add value but sellers always look to get some of that money back.

If there are 2 games, one original and one heavily modded I would take the original every time.

#4 7 years ago

Besides Metallica, I don't care for newer Sterns. The quality just isn't there, too much blatant obvious cost cutting, and the GB playfield disaster really kills it for me. And all that LE/Premium/Pro nonsense turns me off. Purely cosmetic differences are one thing, stripping features, forget it. I don't want no hobbled games at full-featured prices.

Prices need to come down before I will buy anything else, and never NIB from Stern. They have released unknown quantities of time-bomb playfields and can never be trusted again.

#5 7 years ago

Used modern Stern games prices (past 10 years) are starting to stall. Modded or not. Owners are REMOVING mods like ColorDMDs to get sales moving or offer them as an "extra option". Some are starting to realize that mods is a personal choice, and the value is insignificant.

Buying advice is up to the consumer.
    Individuals decide if $1000-3000 of mods are worth the added price.
    Dealers won't touch certain titles inflation, especially with mods.

Most seasoned collectors are holding for a reason.
    We see what is coming.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-modern-game-prices-are-going-up-anyone-buying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.