View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160123_115325852_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115957541_TOP_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115931363_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115905739_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115849965_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115825751_(resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Parts - for sale

FS Used MB PF or Which Wood Would You?

Added: 2016-01-26 23:00:00 UTC • Re-listed: 1 time (March 9th, 2016) • Ended: March 12th, 2017
Condition: Used, good condition

Price

$ 525

Seems like the thread has taken on a duality, so giving the recent exchange equal billing.

Wondering why I have received no inquiries. Is it priced too high? I know Mirco is selling repros, but is being a genuine nonrepro no longer desirable?

Any advice or constructive criticism welcome. Thanks.

Factory mylars. No raised inserts.
Treasure Cove decal. Drac trak repaired. Scoop hole repaired. Would use cliffy though and will include one if I can find it.
$525 plus shipping.

Item photos

IMG_20160108_115825751_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115849965_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115905739_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115931363_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_115957541_TOP_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160123_115325852_(resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are MrWizzo's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

N/A

Go to MrWizzo's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Emerald Isle, NC, US

#3 8 years ago

Probably just that the price is too close to getting a brand new repro, and it has issues (been repaired, but not perfect repairs).

If the repairs were already locked in with a nice new clearcoat (and it looked great), it would probably sell immediately for more money. The way it is, it looks more like a "project" that needs to be completed. LOL - since it will STILL be a project, even if it's ready to install.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Probably just that the price is too close to getting a brand new repro, and it has issues (been repaired, but not perfect repairs).
If the repairs were already locked in with a nice new clearcoat (and it looked great), it would probably sell immediately for more money. The way it is, it looks more like a "project" that needs to be completed. LOL - since it will STILL be a project, even if it's ready to install.

All valid points. Thanks.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I would agree - if I was going to have to go through all the work of a playfield swap I would prefer just paying extra for perfect one. Putting yours into a machine would be a lot of work to still have a machine with a less than perfect playfield. To me more realistic would be $450 shipped. It still might take a while to sell but at that point someone might see it as a logical choice.

#6 8 years ago

Something else to consider - January is the worst month of the year to sell bigger ticket items. Most working class people are broke in January between Christmas, higher heating cost, and having money to pay their taxes if they have money to pay. And you are too early by over a month to catch people with cash refunds coming in.

If you look at machines for sale right now - even at good prices most are not selling.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I would agree - if I was going to have to go through all the work of a playfield swap I would prefer just paying extra for perfect one. Putting yours into a machine would be a lot of work to still have a machine with a less than perfect playfield. To me more realistic would be $450 shipped. It still might take a while to sell but at that point someone might see it as a logical choice.

Makes sense. Thought it a good base to be restored or an improvement over one that is trashed. Thanks for the suggestion of what might be more realistic pricing.

#8 8 years ago

Something else to consider - January is the worst month of the year to sell bigger ticket items. Most working class people are broke in January between Christmas, higher heating cost, and having money to pay their taxes if they have money to pay. And you are too early by over a month to catch people with cash refunds coming in.
If you look at machines for sale right now - even at good prices most are not selling.

Right. Really in no rush, but thought someone could benefit from it since it is just still sitting in the box it came in from the high end restorer I sold my MB to a couple months ago.

Bought a couple desirable EMs and could have had them shipped or brought for pick up to Allentown. Shipped them and thought selling the PF would reimburse the shipping costs.

#9 8 years ago

My thoughts are.. If you are going to go through the trouble and work of populating a play-field you should go new. Its not a quick task to do Right and most people don't want to do it again. If the play-field wasn't avail in reproduction then it would be long past sold.

JJ

#10 8 years ago

My customers prefer original playfields restored ... but on 500 bucks .. what should it cost after several hours work brushing it and several layers of coat and a professional finish ?!
Good point on your playfiled : It is not that bad and a good basic for a renovation. But with shipping and taxes for us european pinheads not really intresting.

Lower the price to 350 and the US boys will buy it ...

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

My customers prefer original playfields restored ... but on 500 bucks .. what should it cost after several hours work brushing it and several layers of coat and a professional finish ?!
Good point on your playfiled : It is not that bad and a good basic for a renovation. But with shipping and taxes for us european pinheads not really intresting.
Lower the price to 350 and the US boys will buy it ...

When original restored pfs approach often a grand or over, even my original price although a bit high is not outrageous.

Given the drop in the value of the Euro, I wouldn't expect buyers from Europe to be an option.

I agree that the price you suggest would get it sold very quickly. Even with the repro playfield out now, this used one offers more value than most used I have seen I think.

I think as Gex suggested, this may be more a matter of timing than maybe pricing.

#12 8 years ago

Another thing that is likely affecting a sale is the imminent remake of MB.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

True, but so much in pinball is imminent.

Carpe UMBPF!

#14 8 years ago

The real problem is that MB is a top dollar game.

Anyone buying one is clearly a wealthy individual.

So if you can buy a brand new, clearcoated playfield for ~$800 at any show that Mirco is set up at, then you are not saving any money buying a $500 used playfield that needs touchup work and then needs a clearcoat.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I doubt this for a few reasons. People are expecting AFM next so we will see those in 2 years and if MB after that 4 years. Longer than most people stay in the hobby. Also, people who are buying a playfield already have a game. People who own an original MB are not waiting for MBr.

I think it is just MB was run by IPB before Mirco so many people who wanted repros have had a chance to get the repro or the restored pulls.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The real problem is that MB is a top dollar game.
Anyone buying one is clearly a wealthy individual.
So if you can buy a brand new, clearcoated playfield for ~$800 at any show that Mirco is set up at, then you are not saving any money buying a $500 used playfield that needs touchup work and then needs a clearcoat.

Sure, but I guess the question is whether long-term a properly restored (lets say you did it) original offers the additional
value over a repro. Given people who are high end pin buyers, I would think maybe 2 to 4 hundred additional ( maybe not so much) over the cost a repro, would not be a show stopper for them.

You know better than I the cost of restoration for this playfield, and I speak from experience given the fantastic job you did on my F-14. Did you see the pics pop up on the recent thread?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Sure, but I guess the question is whether long-term a properly restored (lets say you did it) original offers the additional
value over a repro.

It might, really depends on the collector.

Newbies always see the repros and like the super clear inserts, rather than the milky Diamondplate coated inserts that collectors would expect.

All I know is whatever choice I make, it will be the wrong one when the perspective buyer comes to look at the game.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

value over a repro. Given people who are high end pin buyers, I would think maybe 2 to 4 hundred additional ( maybe not so much) over the cost a repro, would not be a show stopper for them.
You know better than I the cost of restoration for this playfield.

I would prefer a properly restored original to a repro if done by a known person like Kruzman. I think the wood has gotten softer and prone to dimpling from ball drops. And knowing who did your clear coat job could be big.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I think the wood has gotten softer and prone to dimpling from ball drops.

Not true.

Same wood, from the same factory, has been used for the last 60 years.

A few Mirco playfields were made from Baltic Birch which is just slightly softer than Maple.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It might, really depends on the collector.
Newbies always see the repros and like the super clear inserts, rather than the milky Diamondplate coated inserts that collectors would expect.
All I know is whatever choice I make, it will be the wrong one when the perspective buyer comes to look at the game.

Sure. With all your experience and abilities, if someone feels you made a wrong choice, then they should buy elsewhere. Those who know know you know.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-Q4Z1bu2mbhbJmm/mystery_men_1999_captain_amazing_captured/

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not true.
Same wood, from the same factory, has been used for the last 60 years.
A few Mirco playfields were made from Baltic Birch which is just slightly harder than Maple.

Wood has changed a lot over the past 40 years or so. New growth lumber is typically much softer than good old wood from years ago. With that said I don't know how much wood has changed over the past 20 years.

Just because something comes out of the same plant it doesn't ensure it is the same quality. We have been using the same supplier for packing tape for over 20 years and their new tape @ $1 a roll isn't as good as the tape I was buying 15 years ago for under 30 cents a roll.

Repro or original is really just personal choice. OP asked a question and has basically gotten several answers (all similar). Bottom line in a free market economy is seller can set asking price but buyers will set actual price. If something is priced low it will likely sell quickly but something overpriced could sit for years without selling. A seller can "ask" what ever they want to for an item but free market will determine if their price is in line.

To OP - If you want it sold quickly reduce your price and it should sell. If you are not in a rush just wait and at some point someone will likely make you an offer on it. But at higher price people will not be busting your doors down to buy it from you.

#22 8 years ago

Wood has changed a lot over the past 40 years or so. New growth lumber is typically much softer than good old wood from years ago. With that said I don't know how much wood has changed over the past 20 years.
Just because something comes out of the same plant it doesn't ensure it is the same quality. We have been using the same supplier for packing tape for over 20 years and their new tape @ $1 a roll isn't as good as the tape I was buying 15 years ago for under 30 cents a roll.
Repro or original is really just personal choice. OP asked a question and has basically gotten several answers (all similar). Bottom line in a free market economy is seller can set asking price but buyers will set actual price. If something is priced low it will likely sell quickly but something overpriced could sit for years without selling. A seller can "ask" what ever they want to for an item but free market will determine if their price is in line.
To OP - If you want it sold quickly reduce your price and it should sell. If you are not in a rush just wait and at some point someone will likely make you an offer on it. But at higher price people will not be busting your doors down to buy it from you.

Not having marked the asking price as firm, there have been no offers, reasonable or otherwise. I would be willing to knock a hundred off the price, but without viable interest, if selling it means giving it away, not an option.

There have been a couple recent and current waves of supply for this playfield, but there seems no demand for what is being offered here or on cl.

I am okay holding on to it for a while. Thanks for a good discussion and everyone's input.

Dan

#23 8 years ago

In the lumber industry, old-growth forest are simply forests that have been untouched for the last 150 years.

Most species of Maple trees do not even live 100 years.

New-growth lumber is generally SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) - super fast growing trees that can be quickly be chopped up into particle board in less than 20 years.

So don't be fooled when you see a Weyerhaeuser commercial bragging that they are planting 100 million seedlings this year. They are only planting SPF so they can do a quick turnaround harvest.

#24 8 years ago

Cecil Adams.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

In the lumber industry, old-growth forest are simply forests that have been untouched for the last 150 years.
Most species of Maple trees do not even live 100 years.
New-growth lumber is generally SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) - super fast growing trees that can be quickly be chopped up into particle board in less than 20 years.
So don't be fooled when you see a Weyerhaeuser commercial bragging that they are planting 100 million seedlings this year. They are only planting SPF so they can do a quick turnaround harvest.

I work with lumber just about everyday and I know lumber has changed a lot in recent years. It isn't as hard or strong as it was 30 years ago and new building codes have increased the size requirements on joist, beams, etc. accordingly.

Some products have improved over the years but wood isn't one of them. As far as plywood on playfields - I don't know when (or even if) that changed but I do know for a fact that lumber today is much different than lumber from 40 years ago. And lumber from 40 years ago is different than lumber 80 years ago.

It isn't as much about new plantings as it is about number of trees in a forest. When trees are closer together they grow slower & stronger. So as timber is harvested with more space between trees - trees grow faster and lumber is not as strong or hard.

As far as playfield quality on newer machines take a look at modern machines with a few thousand plays on them and look at how bad playfields are. I know operators that are changing out playfields with under 10,000 plays on a machine. Then look at old EM machines with 30,000 or more plays and most playfields are still pretty nice if a machine was somewhat taken care of.

Bottom line - SADLY - things just are not made like they once were. Now if we are talking about something made in the 1990's compared to something made today I don't know how much things have changed. But if you look at something made in the 1970's compared to the same item made today the newer item doesn't even come close in quality.

#26 8 years ago

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck...

#27 8 years ago

As far as plywood on playfields - I don't know when (or even if) that changed but I do know for a fact that lumber today is much different than lumber from 40 years ago. And lumber from 40 years ago is different than lumber 80 years ago.

The Janka Test says that Maple is the same 1450 hardness today as it was in 1910.

Maple is just not one of those woods that are planted by the billions on previously clear cut forest lands.

As far as playfield quality on newer machines take a look at modern machines with a few thousand plays on them and look at how bad playfields are.

Of course, because modern machines have not been played enough to be pounded flat yet.

Once you get a zillion plays, the playfield looks relatively flat.

#28 8 years ago

B/W had a couple of pallets of these when they shut down the pin division that were supposed to go in the wheelie bin but they didn't.
Back then they were going for 50 bucks a pop.
I paid 250 bucks for my NOS one about 7 years ago so there are a bunch of NOS ones out there floating around as well as the repros.
Gene had them for 600 bucks at the last show he was at.
You are too close to new for it to sell but you might find a Barnumite that will pop for it.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck...

Make like a tree and leaf?

#30 8 years ago

Make like a tree and get out of here.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

B/W had a couple of pallets of these when they shut down the pin division that were supposed to go in the wheelie bin but they didn't.
Back then they were going for 50 bucks a pop.
I paid 250 bucks for my NOS one about 7 years ago so there are a bunch of NOS ones out there floating around as well as the repros.
Gene had them for 600 bucks at the last show he was at.
You are too close to new for it to sell but you might find a Barnumite that will pop for it.

Thanks for the history lesson, but..

"I do not think that word means what you think it means..." Inigo Montoya.

Entropy is alive and well and living in Pinside.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Make like a tree and get out of here.

image_(resized).jpg

That's about as smart as a screen door on a battleship.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's about as smart as a screen door on a battleship.

Don't you mean... wait a minute... Oh I get it now!

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What are you basing that on - a wish? The same declaration was being made over a year ago. The fact is we are no closer to that happening now than we were back then.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

What are you basing that on - a wish? The same declaration was being made over a year ago. The fact is we are no closer to that happening now than we were back then.

It was prematurely reported over a year ago by one of the distributors that AFM and MB are the next remakes. It has also been said that the designs are far along and should not take nearly as long as MM to get the games to production.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It was prematurely reported over a year ago by one of the distributors that AFM and MB are the next remakes. It has also been said that the designs are far along and should not take nearly as long as MM to get the games to production.

That's called rumor & speculation - a far cry from "imminent".

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

That's called rumor & speculation - a far cry from "imminent".

A distributor put it on a sales flyer so I am willing to go with it.

#38 8 years ago

As far as playfield quality on newer machines take a look at modern machines with a few thousand plays on them and look at how bad playfields are. I know operators that are changing out playfields with under 10,000 plays on a machine. Then look at old EM machines with 30,000 or more plays and most playfields are still pretty nice if a machine was somewhat taken care of.
Bottom line - SADLY - things just are not made like they once were.

I think the difference in wear also has a lot to do with differences in gameplay between older EM machines and today's much faster playing pins.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I think the difference in wear also has a lot to do with differences in gameplay between older EM machines and today's much faster playing pins. While to ball travels a lot faster and the pop bumpers and slingshots are a lot more powerful, the duration of gameplay per ball is similar which means the balls travels a lot more "miles" per game than they did on EMs.
If you were to install a playfield from an EM machine in a modern pin it probably wouldn't last very long. Especially without the modern clear coat.

Exactly.

All the old, really worn EMs were tossed in the dumpster back in the 70s - when you could not get $25 for them.

Generally the EMs we find today are the better condition specimens that have been in somebody's basement for the last 40 years.

If EMs all had 6 ball multiball, drops, canons, ramps, magnasave, and all the other stuff that quickly eats a playfield; there would be a lot less of them around today.

#40 8 years ago

All you need to do is talk to a few operators that have machines on route and you will quickly find both wood quality & finishes from the factory don't hold up like they did even 20 years ago. Believe what you want - say what you want - but bottom line is "new stuff" isn't built like back in the day.

I don't buy newer machines mostly because of build quality. I think Williams System 11's were about the last really well built machines (maybe even a few of the earlier DMD machine but most stuff after the mid 1990's just isn't built as well).

Original posted is getting a lot of free bumps here and that is likely a good thing.

You guys that keep wanting to believe new is better - that is great. But I'll take a good old playfield in decent shape over a remake any day of the week.

In life I have learned there are a lot of people who love to think they are always right. Over the years I have learned the best way to get the right answer is to talk to someone who knows not the local barber or bartender who knows a little about everything but truly knows nothing.

Anyone building furniture or in construction will tell you wood has changed over the years. Salesmen will tell you it hasn't - do your own homework and figure out who is right!

#41 8 years ago

Original posted is getting a lot of free bumps here and that is likely a good thing.
You guys that keep wanting to believe new is better - that is great. But I'll take a good old playfield in decent shape over a remake any day of the week

Gotta agree. Actually got an offer for $125 including shipping...so I guess that's some progress.

I was hoping that turning the thread into a discussion would prompt additional exposure, but as the sole offer was that above, not proving an effective strategy thus far for many of the valid reasons shared by others.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Gotta agree. Actually got an offer for $125 including shipping...so I guess that's some progress.
I was hoping that turning the thread into a discussion would prompt additional exposure, but as the sole offer was that above, not proving an effective strategy thus far for many of the valid reasons shared by others.

Dan, I would give you $200 and save you the shipping cost. I would use it as wall art.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Dan, I would give you $200 and save you the shipping cost. I would use it as wall art.

Some things better left unsaid

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

When original restored pfs approach often a grand or over, even my original price although a bit high is not outrageous.
Given the drop in the value of the Euro, I wouldn't expect buyers from Europe to be an option.
I agree that the price you suggest would get it sold very quickly. Even with the repro playfield out now, this used one offers more value than most used I have seen I think.
I think as Gex suggested, this may be more a matter of timing than maybe pricing.

Used playfields don't have much value. Cost to restore is more than buying a repo. That is before you pay for the playfield. This is why you have 0 offers. Seems like most used pfs become wall hangers

#45 8 years ago

For what it's worth, I sold one in similar condition on here a little over a year ago for $500. It sold in less than a day and I had a back up buyer as well. Both of them wanted an original as opposed to a repro. I think it's timing....

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

A distributor put it on a sales flyer so I am willing to go with it.

Well, there you have it. It has to be true if you got it in writing on a sales flyer.

#47 8 years ago

I have tested old, new and Russian plywood at the pistol range and the Russian plywood is the hardest followed by old and new came in last.
Oriented strand board is more structurally sound as far as load is concerned whereas conventional plywood will flex more when used diagonally or lengthwise on floor joist.
A lot of the chemicals used to manufacture plywood in the U.S. have been banned, marine plywood is nothing like it was 20 years ago.
Just the way it is, LL is being sued because of the formaldehyde used in Chinese plywood flooring.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I have tested old, new and Russian plywood at the pistol range and the Russian plywood is the hardest followed by old and new came in last.
Oriented strand board is more structurally sound as far as load is concerned whereas conventional plywood will flex more when used diagonally or lengthwise on floor joist.
A lot of the chemicals used to manufacture plywood in the U.S. have been banned, marine plywood is nothing like it was 20 years ago.
Just the way it is, LL is being sued because of the formaldehyde used in Chinese plywood flooring.

THANKS! People just don't believe wood has changed and paint is the same way. New Playfields just plain are not as good as old playfields but "some people" think they are just because they are new & expensive. I couldn't believe it when I talked to the first operator who was telling me about how poorly playfields on machines are holding up these days. But after I heard the same story from several different people with new machines on location I had to start believing it.

Even if you look at post here & on RGP people often talk about "wear" on their new machines. A new machine - home use only - should last forever and yet after a few hundred plays they are starting to wear? I have had machines with over 50,000 plays on them with almost zero wear - so something is very different these days!

#49 8 years ago

You two guys are arguing about two different things.

I run a cabinet shop, so I think I know a little bit about the subject.

Some woods, like longleaf pine, indeed are harder when they are "old growth" and are 200 to 500 years old. Slow growth gives tight rings, as in maybe 6 growth rings per inch.

Other woods don't live long enough to be considered old growth by the industry. Many trees grow fast and die early.

Do you know where we get most of our maple from? Maple trees get old and can't produce enough valuable sap anymore, so they are cut down and replaced with younger trees.

People love to hear that their maple cabinets were made with sustainably proeduced hardwood.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

You two guys are arguing about two different things.
I run a cabinet shop, so I think I know a little bit about the subject.
Some woods, like longleaf pine, indeed are harder when they are "old growth" and are 200 to 500 years old. Slow growth gives tight rings, as in maybe 6 growth rings per inch.
Other woods don't live long enough to be considered old growth by the industry. Many trees grow fast and die early.
Do you know where we get most of our maple from? Maple trees get old and can't produce enough valuable sap anymore, so they are cut down and replaced with younger trees.
People love to hear that their maple cabinets were made with sustainably proeduced hardwood.

My point originally is plywood isn't the same as it was years ago - just like just about anything made today. I am 61 years old and have worked around lumber for close to 50 years and lumber just isn't the same as it was in the 1970's.

Yes - I understand Maple is different than Pine, but I also know plywood made today isn't as strong as plywood for the 1970's. Is it the lumber?, is it the glue?, is it the process?, is it wood isn't dried as long?, I really don't know. What I do know for sure - if you talk to anyone with machines on route they will tell you playfields being made today just don't last.

Originally I made a comment that some people prefer old playfields over reproduction because the wood was better and somehow we got into a debate about lumber. I really don't care but I am sure - from experience - new playfields just are not as good as older ones. What I don't know is when things changed or how much they have changed in the past say 20 years?

Paint has never been the same since they took the lead out of it. Lead Free Solder also SUCKS. But I do understand why lead was removed. But I have yet to find good lead free paint that last like paint made before the mid 1970's. Yet another debate I likely have started.

Lots of free bumps for the seller!

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-mb-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.