(Topic ID: 216379)

Use an 11c mpu/mbu in an 11b machine (Earthshaker or Cyclone)

By jchybro

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DumbAss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU011A (resized).jpg
mpu11c (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have a rottendog 11c mpu/mbu and would like to use it in cyclone or earthshaker. I know for an 11b it needs to use an external audio board but i can't find any instructions stating how to set this up / modify it to work. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

It looks like you need the daughter board (which based on your post you have this). There appears to be two connectors on the base (11C) board labeled J1 and J2 where the daughter board connects.

A quick look of merchants and I cannot find the daughter board separately.

It also looks like there might be two revisions of the board. One with the connectors and one without.

mpu11c (resized).jpgmpu11c (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

I believe i have the version of the board shown. I was hoping to use my existing audio board in the earthshaker (part D-11581). Is that not the same as the daughter board? I was figuring i just needed to connect to it as it's already mounted in the backbox.

#4 5 years ago

I'm fairly sure you need the daughter board.

U9, U21 and U22 (and other associated parts of the circuitry) on the main board are required and these are not present on the 11C or 11C Rottendog replacement. The daughter board contains the additional components that were not populated on the 11C main board.

For 11B there's still some audio circuitry on the main board. There is a separation between sound and speech (I can't remember which board does what) but the responsibilities are separated between the main board and the audio board that you have identified as a separate board in the back box.

11C boards can only be used in 11C unless you populate the missing components between 11B and 11C.

I believe 11A/B boards can only be used in 11A/B/C unless you populate the missing components between 11 (nothing) and 11A/B.

11 (nothing) boards can be used in 11 (nothing)/A/B/C although the diagnostic LEDs are a 7-segment display and it blinks in a weird way.

In essence Williams removed more and more components with later and later generations of system 11.

Rottendog 11A/B board with daughter board should look like this.

MPU011A (resized).jpgMPU011A (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/use-an-11c-mpumbu-in-an-11b-machine-earthshaker-or-cyclone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.