6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Luzur
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

In classic SS games I use LEDs for the controlled lamps and backbox GI. I use single LED clear warm white retro bulbs in translucent inserts since they look very close to incandescents. The problem with today's incandescents is they are cheap and can't handle the vibration. I got tired of lifting the playfield all the time to replace bad bulbs.

I generally like to keep incandescents in the GI though, especially if the artwork is warm colors. For space themes I can go either way, but I have yet to use cool white LEDs.

LED strips are great for dark areas. I used them along with sunlight LEDs in the GI in Xenon simply because the game is so dark. There are literally only 6 bulbs to light the lower two thirds of the playfield.

In Centaur, you'll probably want to keep incandescents in the GI because it flashes. The strobing of LEDs may drive you crazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/usage-of-leds-in-80s-restorations?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.