New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 174834)

US versus Canadian coins in coin mechs

By Chum43

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Chum43
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_3766 (resized).png
    524.jpgCoin mech (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me how the coin mech in a 70's machine can differentiate between US and Canadian coins.
    I am looking to pick up a new mech in the US for use in Canada and the question was raised. Will Cdn coins work?
    Thx!

#2 3 years ago

American coins are non magnetic. Think that some coin mechs are designed to allow for the removal of the magnet in the coin mechanism, allowing the Canadian coins to fall through.
    524.jpgCoin mech (resized).jpg

That square part is the magnet.

#3 3 years ago

That is correct but what actually happens is the Canadian coin get stuck in the mechanism via the magnet. The discharge lever has a swiping arm that pushes the Canadian coin off of the magnet and down to the ejection chute. I mention this because if the discharge button or lever do not work properly, the mechanism will no longer accept any coins and will become totally jammed-up since the Canadian coin will just stay in there.

#4 3 years ago

You need to buy an acceptor specifically made to accept Canadian coins of the desired denominations. Canadian quarters are magnetic and will JAM EVERY TIME on the magnet. Ask me how many times I've been on a service call to unjam a coin acceptor in a machine on location due to a Canadian coin being inserted into a chute made for USA coins.

#5 3 years ago

Or just get a couple of rolls of quarters!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

You need to buy an acceptor specifically made to accept Canadian coins of the desired denominations. Canadian quarters are magnetic and will JAM EVERY TIME on the magnet. Ask me how many times I've been on a service call to unjam a coin acceptor in a machine on location due to a Canadian coin being inserted into a chute made for USA coins.

easier to remove the magnet.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

easier to remove the magnet.

That trick doesn't work on many coin acceptors. Then all coins will fall into the reject track every time

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

That explains these stickers that I see all the time from games up in Michigan and whatnot, I always figured it was because they worked but it must be because they were causing jam-ups:

Screenshot_3766 (resized).png

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

That trick doesn't work on many coin acceptors. Then all coins will fall into the reject track every time

I've had no problems with the magnets out. I've never had anything rejected incorrectly with the magnets out, non quarters are rejected as expected. The quarter mechs take both w/o issue in my machines.
    best option, have the correct mechs. Next best, make the mechs you have work. Third best is buy a new one.

#10 3 years ago

Man just the other day, I put a quarter in a machine, nothing happened... so I pressed the coin return and I got back a friggin Canada coin. Terrible payout.

#11 3 years ago

13 months operating. 3 Canadian quarters in the collection so far.

Quoted from Otaku:

That explains these stickers that I see all the time from games up in Michigan and whatnot, I always figured it was because they worked but it must be because they were causing jam-ups:

There is no way an American designed that sticker. It would not say "please". That has Canadian written all over it...

#12 3 years ago

Thanks guys... At least I have a clue!
    I have 10 cent one enroute from PBR. I'll give it a go and post the findings.

2 weeks later
    #13 3 years ago

So .... The dime mech I got is definitely for US coins. The magnet grabs it up every time. Frigging magnet is huge.
    Before I hurt myself or worse ... Make this thing unusable....
    Has anyone removed this magnet and made it operational for Canadian coins?
    I removed the backing but the actual magnet looks like it want some serious persuasion to come out.

#14 3 years ago

Not on a dime mech but they are usually just held in my magnetism and have the cover plate over them. the plate is the hardest part to take off. Its possible its glued too, but in my experience with quarter ones its not. use another magnet to pull it out is easy.

1 month later
    #15 3 years ago

Final word on this.... I removed the magnet with minimal persuasion from the 10 cent mech which is designed to grab up CDN coins. The coins slides all the way through with no issue but rejects as bad coin about 80% of the time.
    I watched the following video which is very good and found that the problem is the velocity of the coin through the mech. If it is too fast it will hit the separator at a wrong angle and go to reject. There is an adjustment on this separator which allows compensation for this and I was able to get them through at an acceptable level.

#16 3 years ago

The plastic acceptors (Tan plastic, not the black ones) have a small cylindrical magnet that can be moved over .125". One position is to accept Canadian coins, the other position rejects them. American coins are always accepted. The wiper arm is for wiping away bent coins and thick slugs from the mech to the Reject part of the mech.

This is a different operating principle than with the steel & brass mechanisms.

#17 3 years ago

Since 2000 Canadian Dimes are lighter in weight. Does the random rejection only occur with the thinner lighter coin?
    (Just a guess)

#18 3 years ago

The Canadian Mint seems to get their jollies from constantly changing to cheaper alloys. Our 1 dollar coins (since 2012) are now made from plated steel). Man, if I had a hydraulic press that could punch out dollar-sized discs out of steel sheets - I would be buying a lot of stuff from vending machines right now!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Since 2000 Canadian Dimes are lighter in weight. Does the random rejection only occur with the thinner lighter coin?
    (Just a guess)

The problem is velocity. with no magnet in place the holder is just a frame. On my Canadian coin versions there is actually a solid metal piece, non magnetic, but a solid face. i believe this causes just enough drag to slow the coin down when it is dropping to hit the separator at the right angle. i was getting good results when I had the mech out but when I put it back in it consistently rejects. If I hold it at a very slight angle it will drop properly. No amount of adjustment on the separator helps. I really cant believe how finicky it is. I even tried different years just for fun. No change.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 89.99
    $ 9.50
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 8,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Stealth arcade
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 27.50
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside