(Topic ID: 206194)

Upper right flipper more prevalent than left?

By jonesjb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mask02 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I’m thinking of many popular 3 flipper pinball machines in the top 200, and it seems game design significantly leans toward the upper right flipper, probably 5. Unless I’m completely off the mark, there are only a few highly rated 3 flipper games with the upper right flipper... Tron, Funhouse, Congo.

I wonder why this is?

#2 6 years ago

It's the nature of being left handed versus right, designers tend to designer more toward right hand dominant people.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

It's the nature of being left handed versus right, designers tend to designer more toward right hand dominant people.

are you sure?... JJPOTC upper flipper is middle left. people laughed and taunted me when i half-jokingly gave that explanation in the JJPOTC thread upon reveal at expo. probably was more a function of my popularity with those who responded. they are all staunch supporters of TNA, a game with a mostly dysfunctional upper left flipper.

Quoted from greenhornet:

almost 90% of the population is right handed.

Quoted from jgentry:

You win dumbest argument of the day.

Quoted from Aurich:

There's always tomorrow.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Seems to like to set the bar higher and higher each day.

#4 6 years ago

Another good lefty... Tommy...

I'd be surprised if the ratio is really 5-to-1. Maybe we need to get a list going...

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'd be surprised if the ratio is really 5-to-1. Maybe we need to get a list going...

I've frequently heard people say that both Tron and Tommy are inspired by Funhouse, which makes it more interesting.

Technically TZ is a left flipper game more than a right flipper one...

All of Steve Ritchie's games are right flippers... 7 or 8 total?

Lawlor's got WW, TAF, Ripleys, Monopoly, RCT, and Dialed In with a right flipper, and Funhouse, Earthshaker, and Road Show (x2!) with a left flipper.

DM is a left flipper, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Trudeau: Congo on left, Black Rose and Flinstones on right

TSPP, Hobbit, Woz are on the right

I'm sure I'm missing some by those designers...

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yes would be interesting to create a list broken down in my original post... perhaps we should count four flipper games as 3 flipper if there is a large and mini for the upper flippers.

#7 6 years ago

I don't know. What would you say JD is? I think keep it to 3 flipper games so there's an obvious bias left or right.

#8 6 years ago

I was trying to see if I could do a search on IPDB, but even filtering 3 flipper games is tricky. I'm rusty on my regex. Notable features needs to match "flippers (3)".

Need something like this, but kept together as one entity to match all together, this matches as an "or" it seems

flippers \(3\)

#9 6 years ago

There are a lot more upper left flipper games then people realize. I don't think it has much to do with people being right handed. I have no issue using a lower or upper left flippers. There a numerous 2 left flipper games in the top 50.

Quoted from greenhornet:

are you sure?... JJPOTC upper flipper is middle left. people laughed and taunted me when i half-jokingly gave that explanation in the JJPOTC thread upon reveal at expo. probably was more a function of my popularity with those who responded. they are all staunch supporters of TNA, a game with a mostly dysfunctional upper left flipper.

You still win dumbest argument of the day. I think most days it's your goal to win that award. You made sure to leave a ton of context out of your reply there also.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I don't know. What would you say JD is? I think keep it to 3 flipper games so there's an obvious bias left or right.

From a layout standpoint, it's an upper left flipper. It wasn't stated in the OP but I'd argue we're only thinking of 'side' flippers. JD's upper right shoots upwards, as does JJP POTC's.

I'd argue it's not really that much of an upper side left flipper either though, as the orbit shot from the upper left is basically pointless, there's definitely not a big jackpot on it like there is in most side upper flipper games

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You made sure to leave a ton of context out of your reply there also.

why do people make blanket statements like this and then fail to follow through by showing the ton of context that was supposedly omitted?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

why do people make blanket statements like this and then fail to follow through by showing the ton of context that was supposedly omitted?

Because we have better things to do then go back and quote crap from months ago....

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You still win dumbest argument of the day.
I think most days it's your goal to win that award.

probably wont be your last opportunity to hand me that trophy. I don't mind as long as you remain the master of ceremonies.

mask02 (resized).jpgmask02 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#14 6 years ago

That’s not always true though.

#15 6 years ago

One of my favorites EBD upper left flipper but two of my other games Fathom & Wh20 upper right flippers.

#16 6 years ago

On a modern game with no upper playfield, the needs of the shooter lane, how it typically joins up with the orbit, and how it pushes the natural flipper position to the centre of the apron, a little left from the centre of the playfield, makes it easier to place a cross-field shot flipper on the right side than the left, placed below the join point of the shooter lane.

A game with a cross-playfield plunge from the shooter lane all but guarantees an extra such flipper would be placed on the right.

A game with an extra inlane offsetting the flipper position is more likely to put the upper flipper on the same side; the orbit return is more oblique and the flipper is allowed to aim further upward. The exception to this is if a shot through the pops lower down the field is present, as that will be what pushes EVERYTHING further to the opposite side as well as the most space to design a loop entry being above the pops.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upper-right-flipper-more-prevalent-than-left and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.