Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171001_110715 (resized).jpg
20171001_112125 (resized).jpg
20171001_110704 (resized).jpg
20171001_092413 (resized).jpg
20171001_092932 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider entomophile.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

What was supposed to be a simple flipper rebuild on my Gulfstream turned into about 6 different projects. One area that was badly in need of attention was the upper playfield arch. I don't know if it was just faded from the sun or someone spilled something on it but it is supposed to be bright pink but was faded pink with white mottling throughout. I was going to repaint it but thought maybe I could polish it out.

BeforeBefore

Closeup of damage, note the original color under the gate.Closeup of damage, note the original color under the gate.

I cut some microfiber cloth and stuck it to the bottom of my random orbit palm sander. I ran that with some Novus 3. At first it didn't look like it was working. It was, but it was slow going. I removed most of the dirt and the worst of the discoloration that way. I followed up with some hand polishing with Novus 2 on a microfiber cloth. Finished it off with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound applied by hand and then some wax. Much to my surprise, I got it pretty close to the original finish.

AfterAfter

Closeup, note the color match from where the gate was.Closeup, note the color match from where the gate was.

It took a lot of elbow grease and patience but the results were worth it. The pictures don't do it justice. It shines like glass now. Much easier than a repaint.

Nice and shiny! The white areas are reflections now, not remnants of the paint damage.Nice and shiny! The white areas are reflections now, not remnants of the paint damage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider entomophile.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upper-playfield-arch-restoration?tu=entomophile and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.