3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by KellyCorcoran
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181209_175438080 (resized).jpg
    DEBF9A38-A23D-44BB-A67A-E8A6B5D084E6 (resized).png
    IMG_20181019_080424218 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181024_081354063 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180915_082539739 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

"Can you even read?" you might ask me as you notice the club thread. "There's already a Michigan club. This double thread deeply offends me."

But, geographically speaking, Michigan's upper peninsula is practically another state, and our regular Michigan club focuses mostly on the lower peninsula. Disturbingly, it's also a partial-state without much pinball, and perhaps the few yooper Pinsiders among us can help change that. I'm working on my part - if you happen to pass through Escanaba and feel like playing my recently-purchased Rollergames, stop into 41 Lumber. It'll get a proper rework in the future, but given the number of compliments I've gotten on its condition, people here don't seem to mind that it's not a HEP.

This won't be an elite club. If you live elsewhere but happen to pass through the U.P. now and then, feel free to come join us. We don't bite. Much.

IMG_20180915_082539739 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #2 55 days ago

Location update! Wasn't keeping up on this thread since it had no activity, but hey - here's some activity!

I had to pull RG due to a connected chain of problems stemming from a locked-on magnet driver. This problem is half fixed now - I believe there's a primary driver transistor that still needs replacing - but I decided it would be best to put a known reliable game from the collection at the store. And what better game to bring in for the Halloween season than Addams Family?

IMG_20181024_081354063 (resized).jpg

It's had a couple of very minor issues, but nothing game breaking. The weekend before loading up the game, I did a quick teardown in which I replaced all the rubber with Titan Pinball's offerings, gave the playfield surface a once-over with Novus 2, and converted it to LEDs.

Yeah, so about that LED conversion. I picked up "complete" LED kit for TAF at a show earlier this year, and finally got around to tearing open the bag for this job.

All the GI bulbs were purple, and the bulbs designated for Cousin It's light were green.

I am NOT letting my games get featured in the No Rainbow Puke Club thread.

There was at least a handful of cool whites in the bag, so I installed them into a few GI sockets to see how it looked. Normally I'm into warm white, but I didn't really mind the cool tone on this particular game, so I put in an order for more cool whites to cover the rest of the GI.

The day after I finished the job, I brought the game in. There wasn't a lot of time for testing, so the old worn-out lamp sockets made the slingshots and inlanes flickery and/or dark. Fortunately, fixing that issue was just a matter of constructing a new set of GI mini-harnesses and bringing them into work the next day.

Old vs new shown. I think the new sockets will be a tad bit more reliable.

IMG_20181019_080424218 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #3 24 days ago

Alright i am in. Probobly just you and me what do you want to talk about haha

#4 24 days ago

Hey my family lives in Marquette i was born and raised there just moved to Colorado but I’m in! I head home a few times a year and always lookin g for games.

#5 24 days ago
    Quoted from KellyCorcoran:

Location update! Wasn't keeping up on this thread since it had no activity, but hey - here's some activity!
    I had to pull RG due to a connected chain of problems stemming from a locked-on magnet driver. This problem is half fixed now - I believe there's a primary driver transistor that still needs replacing - but I decided it would be best to put a known reliable game from the collection at the store. And what better game to bring in for the Halloween season than Addams Family?
    [quoted image]
    It's had a couple of very minor issues, but nothing game breaking. The weekend before loading up the game, I did a quick teardown in which I replaced all the rubber with Titan Pinball's offerings, gave the playfield surface a once-over with Novus 2, and converted it to LEDs.
    Yeah, so about that LED conversion. I picked up "complete" LED kit for TAF at a show earlier this year, and finally got around to tearing open the bag for this job.
    All the GI bulbs were purple, and the bulbs designated for Cousin It's light were green.
    I am NOT letting my games get featured in the No Rainbow Puke Club thread.
    There was at least a handful of cool whites in the bag, so I installed them into a few GI sockets to see how it looked. Normally I'm into warm white, but I didn't really mind the cool tone on this particular game, so I put in an order for more cool whites to cover the rest of the GI.
    The day after I finished the job, I brought the game in. There wasn't a lot of time for testing, so the old worn-out lamp sockets made the slingshots and inlanes flickery and/or dark. Fortunately, fixing that issue was just a matter of constructing a new set of GI mini-harnesses and bringing them into work the next day.
    Old vs new shown. I think the new sockets will be a tad bit more reliable.
    [quoted image]

So when you play, is that the heater above your head and does it blow directly on you?

#6 24 days ago

I hunt with the wife's family outside Iron Mountain and my daughter goes to NMU, so I'm up that way quite a bit.

#7 23 days ago

Grew up in Da UP, and was just up last week for deer hunting and turkey.
    Nice to visit, but yeah, not much pinball.
    Glad you have a game out for folks to play!

#8 23 days ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I hunt with the wife's family outside Iron Mountain and my daughter goes to NMU, so I'm up that way quite a bit.

Where do u hunt?

#9 23 days ago

I'm in!

#10 23 days ago

Awesome, we're not alone after all!

I have a friend with growing pinball repair skills who I believe will be joining us in this thread soon. We've already had some discussion on how to get more pinball up in da yooper country. I have already imported three, one via pickup and two via shipping.

Gosh, it would be nice if that heater did blow on players. Maybe it would attract more people to play in the cold season! It actually blows to the left in the photo.

#11 23 days ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

Where do u hunt?

Camp is off of Peavy Falls road towards the dam.

#12 22 days ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

Camp is off of Peavy Falls road towards the dam.

Cool. Your wife must be a yooper.

#13 22 days ago

Well i will start things off here..i have a nice players Black Knight and/or a nice players Arena I would be willing to trade for a system 11 (space station, dr dude, other) or DMD plus cash as needed. If anyone has interest, let me know what you have, and I will post listings with more details/pics in the marketplace.

#14 22 days ago

Wait.?!
    People actually live in the U.P.?
    I thought it was just for hunters and kids who couldn't get into MIT.

#15 22 days ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

I thought it was just for hunters and kids who couldn't get into MIT.

Them fighting words...

#16 22 days ago

Hey dare, howess it goin. Love da u.p.!

#17 22 days ago

I'm not official, but I'm a hell of a lot closer to the UP then most of the Madison/Milwaukee crowd. Can I get a waiver?

#18 22 days ago

Youu betcha!

#19 21 days ago

I live in Pasadena, so...I'm closer to you than about 90% of the people on the planet!

#20 20 days ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

I'm closer to you than about 90% of the people on the planet!

Let's keep it that way. The UP would be far less enjoyable if that were not the case.

#21 20 days ago

I’m close, 1/2 the time anyway (Presque Isle WI). Girlfriend is a Yooper

DEBF9A38-A23D-44BB-A67A-E8A6B5D084E6 (resized).png
    #22 20 days ago

Interesting tidbit. The u.p. Was originally Wisconsin (territory). But since Michigan reaches statehood first it was given to Michigan.

#23 20 days ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Interesting tidbit. The u.p. Was originally Wisconsin (territory). But since Michigan reaches statehood first it was given to Michigan.

Read up on the "Toledo War" for more on why the UP is in Michigan and not Wisconsin.
    Damn Ohio folks.

#24 20 days ago

I sold our place at Big Powderhorn Ski Area, 2 years ago after owning for 25 years. Great times, still have storage unit in Wakefield, housing 2 sleds, 6 pairs of skis and snowshoes . Don't forget the pair of cross-country skis used at ABR. Still have ski pass to Blackjack and Indiandhead. I love it up there.

My picture is with my grandson snowshoeing by our chalet.

#25 20 days ago

I put an ad in the old Porcupine Press years back looking for EM pinballs/collectors. No replies. Most of my pins have been 10+ hour drives to buy and get them up. A bunch have been hauled behind a snowmobile on the last leg.

#26 20 days ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Let's keep it that way. The UP would be far less enjoyable if that were not the case.

I just put on my Art's Tavern sweatshirt after a long day of work.

Spiritually, I'm now only about four hours from the UP.

#27 19 days ago

My proposal is we hoard as much pinball as we can up here, but share with the general public when possible/willing by putting stuff on route. I've imported three games into yooper country and TAF is still running strong, so I'm trying to follow that rule.

Condition update: Both the microswitches on the TAF ramp assembly went dead, one after the other. Both were fixed overnight with spares. Otherwise not a single problem in two months.

#28 19 days ago

for those into EMs, Old School Arcade in Gwinn has 7 or 8 EM pins.

Night Rider, Hokus Pokus, Odds and Evens and more I cant remember. They do have a facebook page for more info

1 week later
    #29 12 days ago

I’m in St.Ignace, my dad and I own Enterprisevendinginc we service a 60mile radius of full coin op including mackinac island I am also a collector. I lost locations to play our pins we have on route all the time in the pin map.

#30 12 days ago

Pinhead86, back in about 2002 my family visited Mackinac Island and stayed at a Budget Host motel. Literally the highlight of the trip for me was playing Big Guns in the motel game room. Was that yours? I recall it had a set of classic Bally/Stern flipper bats installed on it.

#32 9 days ago

Meet the new addition to the family!

Doing my part to keep pinball in the UP. I'm considering putting this one on route after it's gotten a thorough restoration.

IMG_20181209_175438080 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 53.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside