(Topic ID: 225546)

Upper Michigan Club: You, me, and all these crickets

By Gornkleschnitzer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00205.jpg
    IMG_20190607_190507909 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190207_130912640 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181209_175438080 (resized).jpg
    DEBF9A38-A23D-44BB-A67A-E8A6B5D084E6 (resized).png
    IMG_20181019_080424218 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181024_081354063 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180915_082539739 (resized).jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

"Can you even read?" you might ask me as you notice the club thread. "There's already a Michigan club. This double thread deeply offends me."

But, geographically speaking, Michigan's upper peninsula is practically another state, and our regular Michigan club focuses mostly on the lower peninsula. Disturbingly, it's also a partial-state without much pinball, and perhaps the few yooper Pinsiders among us can help change that. I'm working on my part - if you happen to pass through Escanaba and feel like playing my recently-purchased Rollergames, stop into 41 Lumber. It'll get a proper rework in the future, but given the number of compliments I've gotten on its condition, people here don't seem to mind that it's not a HEP.

This won't be an elite club. If you live elsewhere but happen to pass through the U.P. now and then, feel free to come join us. We don't bite. Much.

IMG_20180915_082539739 (resized).jpgIMG_20180915_082539739 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #2 5 years ago

Location update! Wasn't keeping up on this thread since it had no activity, but hey - here's some activity!

I had to pull RG due to a connected chain of problems stemming from a locked-on magnet driver. This problem is half fixed now - I believe there's a primary driver transistor that still needs replacing - but I decided it would be best to put a known reliable game from the collection at the store. And what better game to bring in for the Halloween season than Addams Family?

IMG_20181024_081354063 (resized).jpgIMG_20181024_081354063 (resized).jpg

It's had a couple of very minor issues, but nothing game breaking. The weekend before loading up the game, I did a quick teardown in which I replaced all the rubber with Titan Pinball's offerings, gave the playfield surface a once-over with Novus 2, and converted it to LEDs.

Yeah, so about that LED conversion. I picked up "complete" LED kit for TAF at a show earlier this year, and finally got around to tearing open the bag for this job.

All the GI bulbs were purple, and the bulbs designated for Cousin It's light were green.

I am NOT letting my games get featured in the No Rainbow Puke Club thread.

There was at least a handful of cool whites in the bag, so I installed them into a few GI sockets to see how it looked. Normally I'm into warm white, but I didn't really mind the cool tone on this particular game, so I put in an order for more cool whites to cover the rest of the GI.

The day after I finished the job, I brought the game in. There wasn't a lot of time for testing, so the old worn-out lamp sockets made the slingshots and inlanes flickery and/or dark. Fortunately, fixing that issue was just a matter of constructing a new set of GI mini-harnesses and bringing them into work the next day.

Old vs new shown. I think the new sockets will be a tad bit more reliable.

IMG_20181019_080424218 (resized).jpgIMG_20181019_080424218 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #3 5 years ago

Alright i am in. Probobly just you and me what do you want to talk about haha

#4 5 years ago

Hey my family lives in Marquette i was born and raised there just moved to Colorado but I’m in! I head home a few times a year and always lookin g for games.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Location update! Wasn't keeping up on this thread since it had no activity, but hey - here's some activity!
    I had to pull RG due to a connected chain of problems stemming from a locked-on magnet driver. This problem is half fixed now - I believe there's a primary driver transistor that still needs replacing - but I decided it would be best to put a known reliable game from the collection at the store. And what better game to bring in for the Halloween season than Addams Family?
    [quoted image]
    It's had a couple of very minor issues, but nothing game breaking. The weekend before loading up the game, I did a quick teardown in which I replaced all the rubber with Titan Pinball's offerings, gave the playfield surface a once-over with Novus 2, and converted it to LEDs.
    Yeah, so about that LED conversion. I picked up "complete" LED kit for TAF at a show earlier this year, and finally got around to tearing open the bag for this job.
    All the GI bulbs were purple, and the bulbs designated for Cousin It's light were green.
    I am NOT letting my games get featured in the No Rainbow Puke Club thread.
    There was at least a handful of cool whites in the bag, so I installed them into a few GI sockets to see how it looked. Normally I'm into warm white, but I didn't really mind the cool tone on this particular game, so I put in an order for more cool whites to cover the rest of the GI.
    The day after I finished the job, I brought the game in. There wasn't a lot of time for testing, so the old worn-out lamp sockets made the slingshots and inlanes flickery and/or dark. Fortunately, fixing that issue was just a matter of constructing a new set of GI mini-harnesses and bringing them into work the next day.
    Old vs new shown. I think the new sockets will be a tad bit more reliable.
    [quoted image]

So when you play, is that the heater above your head and does it blow directly on you?

#6 5 years ago

I hunt with the wife's family outside Iron Mountain and my daughter goes to NMU, so I'm up that way quite a bit.

#7 5 years ago

Grew up in Da UP, and was just up last week for deer hunting and turkey.
    Nice to visit, but yeah, not much pinball.
    Glad you have a game out for folks to play!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I hunt with the wife's family outside Iron Mountain and my daughter goes to NMU, so I'm up that way quite a bit.

Where do u hunt?

#9 5 years ago

I'm in!

#10 5 years ago

Awesome, we're not alone after all!

I have a friend with growing pinball repair skills who I believe will be joining us in this thread soon. We've already had some discussion on how to get more pinball up in da yooper country. I have already imported three, one via pickup and two via shipping.

Gosh, it would be nice if that heater did blow on players. Maybe it would attract more people to play in the cold season! It actually blows to the left in the photo.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

Where do u hunt?

Camp is off of Peavy Falls road towards the dam.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

Camp is off of Peavy Falls road towards the dam.

Cool. Your wife must be a yooper.

#13 5 years ago

Well i will start things off here..i have a nice players Black Knight and/or a nice players Arena I would be willing to trade for a system 11 (space station, dr dude, other) or DMD plus cash as needed. If anyone has interest, let me know what you have, and I will post listings with more details/pics in the marketplace.

#14 5 years ago

Wait.?!
    People actually live in the U.P.?
    I thought it was just for hunters and kids who couldn't get into MIT.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

I thought it was just for hunters and kids who couldn't get into MIT.

Them fighting words...

#16 5 years ago

Hey dare, howess it goin. Love da u.p.!

#17 5 years ago

I'm not official, but I'm a hell of a lot closer to the UP then most of the Madison/Milwaukee crowd. Can I get a waiver?

#18 5 years ago

Youu betcha!

#19 5 years ago

I live in Pasadena, so...I'm closer to you than about 90% of the people on the planet!

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

I'm closer to you than about 90% of the people on the planet!

Let's keep it that way. The UP would be far less enjoyable if that were not the case.

#21 5 years ago

I’m close, 1/2 the time anyway (Presque Isle WI). Girlfriend is a Yooper

DEBF9A38-A23D-44BB-A67A-E8A6B5D084E6 (resized).pngDEBF9A38-A23D-44BB-A67A-E8A6B5D084E6 (resized).png
    #22 5 years ago

Interesting tidbit. The u.p. Was originally Wisconsin (territory). But since Michigan reaches statehood first it was given to Michigan.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Interesting tidbit. The u.p. Was originally Wisconsin (territory). But since Michigan reaches statehood first it was given to Michigan.

Read up on the "Toledo War" for more on why the UP is in Michigan and not Wisconsin.
    Damn Ohio folks.

#24 5 years ago

I sold our place at Big Powderhorn Ski Area, 2 years ago after owning for 25 years. Great times, still have storage unit in Wakefield, housing 2 sleds, 6 pairs of skis and snowshoes . Don't forget the pair of cross-country skis used at ABR. Still have ski pass to Blackjack and Indiandhead. I love it up there.

My picture is with my grandson snowshoeing by our chalet.

#25 5 years ago

I put an ad in the old Porcupine Press years back looking for EM pinballs/collectors. No replies. Most of my pins have been 10+ hour drives to buy and get them up. A bunch have been hauled behind a snowmobile on the last leg.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Let's keep it that way. The UP would be far less enjoyable if that were not the case.

I just put on my Art's Tavern sweatshirt after a long day of work.

Spiritually, I'm now only about four hours from the UP.

#27 5 years ago

My proposal is we hoard as much pinball as we can up here, but share with the general public when possible/willing by putting stuff on route. I've imported three games into yooper country and TAF is still running strong, so I'm trying to follow that rule.

Condition update: Both the microswitches on the TAF ramp assembly went dead, one after the other. Both were fixed overnight with spares. Otherwise not a single problem in two months.

#28 5 years ago

for those into EMs, Old School Arcade in Gwinn has 7 or 8 EM pins.

Night Rider, Hokus Pokus, Odds and Evens and more I cant remember. They do have a facebook page for more info

1 week later
    #29 5 years ago

I’m in St.Ignace, my dad and I own Enterprisevendinginc we service a 60mile radius of full coin op including mackinac island I am also a collector. I lost locations to play our pins we have on route all the time in the pin map.

#30 5 years ago

@Pinhead86, back in about 2002 my family visited Mackinac Island and stayed at a Budget Host motel. Literally the highlight of the trip for me was playing Big Guns in the motel game room. Was that yours? I recall it had a set of classic Bally/Stern flipper bats installed on it.

#32 5 years ago

Meet the new addition to the family!

Doing my part to keep pinball in the UP. I'm considering putting this one on route after it's gotten a thorough restoration.

IMG_20181209_175438080 (resized).jpgIMG_20181209_175438080 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #33 5 years ago

:1Hello... finally...

I have lurked much, crash-coursed and studied my way through the ropes of buying, maintaining and enjoying, (most important!) pinball as an adult for the past 2+ years.

I have an interesting story as to how I was brought back to pinball - I prefer to tell it over a beer...pinside.

My machines are fluxing in and out of operation as I dial them in for route, with much help and support from our Thread-Head, KC. I can't drop much weight on purchasing, aquiring titles...but I'm working on getting a few pins from family on route in the UP.

My vision is for pinball to be beyond some spoiled "lake house man-cave" showpiece UP here; these works of playable art ARE NOT coffins for our pastime memories - they should and can be catalysts for the next generation's critical thinking and creative commons.

I'm willing to overcome my anxieties surrounding social media in order to work towards propagating pinball across the UP over the next decade. I run live sound and jam on every instrument as well; open mics with Pop-UP Pinball, (TM...j/k,) is in the works this summer.

Also, would be interested in seeing who else would carpool on trips to Tiltletown Pinball in GB, (45+ machines on Freeplay between monthly tournament and leauge play,) and just general community, such as, "help me move these flippin' machines," to "let's fix this thing and get it in public!"

Much props and thanks to Kelly for getting this all rockin'. Very available to meet, troubleshoot and chat. Stop in above Mo's in Esky and we'll tour the machines we've managed to set up, so far.

#34 5 years ago

I used to work in Marquette a lot until I switched jobs last Feb. If I start heading back up, I'll be sure to check this thread first. Love it up there!

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead86:

we service a 60mile radius of full coin op including mackinac island

Sorry, didn't see this post until today. The small arcade on the second floor off a ferry dock entrance was gone in 2018. My wife and I go to the island every May, and I was disappointed that the only 2 pins I could now find were at the Mustang and the Grand. Any chance of that or another coin-op arcade like it returning to main street?

#36 5 years ago

nudgerfoder Welcome aboard! Glad to see you in the club.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Sorry, didn't see this post until today. The small arcade on the second floor off a ferry dock entrance was gone in 2018. My wife and I go to the island every May, and I was disappointed that the only 2 pins I could now find were at the Mustang and the Grand. Any chance of that or another coin-op arcade like it returning to main street?

Probably not on main street but we do have an arcade at Mission Point Resort. We will have pinball there just not sure which one/ones yet.
    Depending on where you board to go to the island we do have pinball throughout Saint Ignace to play if you check the map here on pinside.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead86:

Probably not on main street but we do have an arcade at Mission Point Resort. We will have pinball there just not sure which one/ones yet.
    Depending on where you board to go to the island we do have pinball throughout Saint Ignace to play if you check the map here on pinside.

Thanks for the info. We always take the ferry from Mackinaw City, so I probably won't go to look for pins in St. Ignace. We're staying at Bay View this year, not too far from Mission Point. I didn't know they had an arcade there, I'll have to check it out.

3 weeks later
    #39 5 years ago

Those of you within reasonable distance of Escanaba now have a new title to play!

IMG_20190207_130912640 (resized).jpgIMG_20190207_130912640 (resized).jpg

It'll need a bit of tweaking and fixing but it's definitely a popular one already.

3 months later
    #40 4 years ago

Just found you! I was born and raised in Iron Mountain. Moved down by Traverse City nearly 11 years ago. Bought my first pin in 2014. A Sharkey's Shootout. Restored it and then a F-14. Did a high end restoration on that one with new PPS repro playfield. Sold those and bought two more modern games. Glad to see someone up there into pinball. Will stop in one of these days when passing through. Cheers!

#41 4 years ago

Yes, come see us sometime!

Myself and nudgerfoder are slowly building up a collective pinball/hobby space in Escanaba, open by appointment. Got six games to play there now, gradually rotating things in and out as location games change. Looking into doing pop-up pinball shows and such as well, so lots of potential for pin fun over here.

https://deskgram.net/uppinball

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead86:

We took our trip to Mackinac Island two weekends ago. I enjoyed the Monster Bash at the grand, but especially liked the Earth Shaker at Mission Point.

Thanks for the info, Pinhead86 , I never knew there was an arcade at Mission Point.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

We took our trip to Mackinac Island two weekends ago. I enjoyed the Monster Bash at the grand, but especially liked the Earth Shaker at Mission Point.
    Thanks for the info, pinhead86 , I never knew there was an arcade at Mission Point.

Glad to hear it!! Thank you

#44 4 years ago

So we have a new pinball destination! UPutt Family Fun Center just opened its doors last week - only a couple blocks from 41 Lumber, conveniently enough - and they bring with them a brand-new Deadpool! Took a ride down there last night and let the employees know about the local pinball techs and the existence of Pinside. Hopefully they put it on the pinball map, and if not I'll have to take matters into my own hands. Photos coming soon.

nudgerfoder 's Pinball Collective is about to get some growth with four new games and a swap of two of mine - TAF and Police Force coming soon. Elvira will be moved to 41 this Saturday and Undertale will finally come home. According to the statistics, Undertale has gotten about 600 plays in the past 12 years.

Pinhead86 As long as I'm thinking about it, hit me up if you ever decide to sell that Big Guns. Not a grail pin but definitely one I have memories of.

1 week later
    #45 4 years ago

So, the Yooper Peninsula Pinball collective is actually a thing now, sort of.

IMG_20190607_190507909 (resized).jpgIMG_20190607_190507909 (resized).jpg

The building needs work and so do a few of the games, but it's a nice staging area and secret arcade.

3 weeks later
    #46 4 years ago

Independence Day festivities in Delta County will be featuring pinball this year!

The UP Pinball Collective will be providing a tent of games to play in the park for the Fourth celebration. Due to the three-day nature of this year's event, we may also be migrating the tent to Gladstone at some point in the event. We'll keep you posted here, and for those who use Instagram, @uppinball.

Thanks to the City of Escanaba for sponsoring the Free Play!

#47 4 years ago

The word so far is our tent will stay in Escanaba for the duration. Looking at Police Force, Big Deal, and a third game to be decided for the first day, perhaps switching out later on. Early to mid afternoon setup.

1 week later
    #48 4 years ago

I’m as far as the UP goes in Sault Ste. Marie

1 week later
    #49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Localspeedshop:

I’m as far as the UP goes in Sault Ste. Marie

Na, Copper Harbor is farther!I used to live in Iron Mountain.

#50 4 years ago

I had relatives in Daggett and Stephenson. The highlight for me as a kid 35 years ago was playing the ball bowler at Bildo's Bar and Museum in Daggett. Place burned down probably in the late '80's or early '90's.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upper-michigan-club-you-me-and-all-these-crickets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.