(Topic ID: 28807)

Upper flipper not working (Noob in over my head!?)

By epeabs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by epeabs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0692.JPG
DSCN0691.JPG
DSCN0690.JPG
DSCN0689.JPG
DSCN0687.JPG
DSCN0637.JPG
DSCN0636.JPG
DSCN0635.JPG
2012-10-25_10-38-17_745.jpg
2012-10-25_10-37-56_105.jpg
2012-10-24_16-28-35_456.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epeabs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Just when I was feeling good about "shopping out" my first machine, I have hit a roadblock and am feeling like I'm in over my head. I just rebuilt my upper flipper on my BK2K after it started being extremly "lazy" last week. It was working great after the rebuild kit was installed. Today I rebuilt the right lower flipper (I figured if one was going bad the others aren't far behind). While resoldering, I unknowingly switched the two wires going to the EOS switch. When I turned the machine on and tried the flippers, the right flippers didn't work. Once correcting my mistake (and replacing the fuse in F5), I tried the flippers again. This time the lower playfield right flipper worked great, but the upper playfield flipper (right) was only slightly "jumping". I happened to have a new coil so I swapped it out. Unfortunately, I read my wire labels incorrectly, and I wired the coil incorrectly (I switched the wires going to the outside lugs) (burned another F5 fuse). I have now replaced the fuse, turned the machine back on to test the flippers, and the upper flipper doesn't even "jump" the slightest bit. And it burned the fuse after trying the flipper only a few times. I am now stumped. I do believe I have the wiring correct. Did I burn something else out besides a fuse? I don't know where to turn. Please help

#3 11 years ago

Probably a stupid question, but what do I measure with my multimeter to determine if the diodes are cooked?

#7 11 years ago

I think that sounds pretty accurate. I will change out the coil, install new diodes, and rewire correctly. I will post pictures. Back to work tomorrow. I will post when I've had a chance to work through this. Thank you.

#10 11 years ago

Well I delved back into this dilemma. I have gone back to the "original upper coil" just in case I screwed the "newer one" up with my f****** up wiring. I have installed new IN4003 diodes with the bands going in the same direction on the coil. I have rewired it according to my original tags and photos (the issue was not my labeling prior it was reading them incorrectly). I am a little confused as in reading the manual on page 48 (assembly notes #9) it says "Solid color blue wire connects to the banded end of each diode, mounted on the connector end of the Flipper Coil (item 9). Trace color wire connects to the unbanded end of the diode". Looking at my original photos of the "untouched by me" coils, they don't seem to be wired this way. I have not turned on the machine at this point as I am nervous to do so. I am hoping someone can look at my "before and after" photos to see if things look correct or not. The coil with the original wrapping is the upper playfield flipper prior to my involvement with it , the pictures with the masking tape wrapped coil is the lower playfield right flipper. I will post more pictures. Thanks again for the input.

2012-10-24_16-28-35_456.jpg2012-10-24_16-28-35_456.jpg 2012-10-25_10-37-56_105.jpg2012-10-25_10-37-56_105.jpg 2012-10-25_10-38-17_745.jpg2012-10-25_10-38-17_745.jpg

#11 11 years ago

More before pictures

DSCN0635.JPGDSCN0635.JPG DSCN0636.JPGDSCN0636.JPG DSCN0637.JPGDSCN0637.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Some after pictures.

DSCN0687.JPGDSCN0687.JPG DSCN0689.JPGDSCN0689.JPG DSCN0690.JPGDSCN0690.JPG

#13 11 years ago

Some more after.

DSCN0691.JPGDSCN0691.JPG DSCN0692.JPGDSCN0692.JPG

#16 11 years ago

Hi Robertmee, Thanks. The bottom flipper is the first batch of "after" pictures. Everything looks good to me except my "blue-yel" wire to the upper flipper is plain blue. I am thinking that is has been replaced at some point. I do know that the "plain blue" is wired in the same location I originally removed it from.

#17 11 years ago

I have confirmed that the "plain blue" wire is connected to the J2 pin 5 location in the upper playfield interconnect board (it is a replacement wire). I have confirmed all my wires. Now the upper playfield flipper won't "stay up" and seems lazy. I can hold the bottom right flipper to hold a ball and the upper flipper even though it worked won't stay in the up "engaged" position. Any thoughts?

#19 11 years ago

I'm assuming you mean the three single strand (one is a thick and thin) wires coming off the coil itself and going to the three lugs? I just checked those, and found one loose on the lug end. I have resoldered it and hopefully that will do the trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
4,500 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 39.99
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epeabs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upper-flipper-not-working-noob-in-over-my-head?tu=epeabs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.