• Latest reply 10 years ago by Crispin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_000156.jpg
WP_000157.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koen12344.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I've just bought a F14 Tomcat, which I could get for a good price, given it needs some maintenance. The upper (alphanumeric) displays are broken. The previous owner told me that they broke, and that he had them replaced, but they broke again after two weeks.

So my guess is the problem must be somewhere else. I've heard the power board can cause such problems, but I don't know what to look for.

Because two replacement glass displays are about just as expensive as a complete LED-unit, I think i might get a new LED display unit. But that doesn't fix the source of the problem of course

Also, the upper TOMCAT targets don't work, and the Yagov kickback doesn't work. It gets some switch errors on startup, but I cant really run any tests because the displays don't work

Any thoughts?

WP_000156.jpgWP_000156.jpg WP_000157.jpgWP_000157.jpg
#3 10 years ago

There's a white, -looks like- burnt spot on the bottom left of both displays (see photos). Is that normal? Or does it indicate that the display is burned out?

Can I use a floppy or IDE ribbon cable to rule out that is the culprit, or is the pinout different?

#5 10 years ago

I was suggested to flip over the cable on either side to see if that would make any difference. It did not, unfortunately. I will take a closer look at the displays once I have some spare time.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses!

I had some spare time to look into the issues. I took a good look at the display board and saw that both top displays seem to have a crack in them on the bottom left side. So I guess they are broken...

I also saw that the Q42 transistor seems to have been replaced before, because the solder looks newer, and it looks different from the other ones in the row. Could it be the wrong one?

I'll measure the voltages on the power supply later. Im not yet sure whether to replace the glass, or go with a LED board....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koen12344.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upper-displays-on-f14-broken?tu=koen12344 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.