You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01B973CD-4CD5-41C6-A1ED-B2F32040F9E5 (resized).jpeg
0AE3BE2E-98CA-4F37-B171-EACE75A9A83A (resized).jpeg
BBE08574-18D8-4149-9152-13F6685A0FC4 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I want to fix this taped up hack and replace the socket. This is for the sound board assembly to plug into. I’ve already replaced the hacked up power cord according to Vid’s guide. Someone had cut off the ground prong. My question is with this outlet.
It’s the SOUND OUTLET on the schematic. It’s located in the backbox of the game. This is a non polarized socket that someone taped to the harness. I’m replacing it with a female polarized socket. That’s the only kind I can find. Which side should be the hot side for this outlet or does it even matter? I’m having a hard time figuring this out from the schematic.

The male plug from the sound board (3rd picture) is non polarized. That is factory.

Thanks.
01B973CD-4CD5-41C6-A1ED-B2F32040F9E5 (resized).jpeg01B973CD-4CD5-41C6-A1ED-B2F32040F9E5 (resized).jpegBBE08574-18D8-4149-9152-13F6685A0FC4 (resized).jpegBBE08574-18D8-4149-9152-13F6685A0FC4 (resized).jpeg0AE3BE2E-98CA-4F37-B171-EACE75A9A83A (resized).jpeg0AE3BE2E-98CA-4F37-B171-EACE75A9A83A (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

I can't tell from your photo what the color of the wires on the current receptacle are. But from the schematic, it looks like the switched side of the mains power in goes to the purple wire on the transformer.

Since for polarized receptacles, you want the hot to be the switched side of the outlet, that's the line I'd hook up the hot to. And since you're asking about the sound outlet specifically, that would be the green wire on the other side of "game over re." from the purple wire.

Does that answer your question? I might not have understood exactly what you were asking...sorry if that's the case.

#3 1 year ago

Yes, I think that does answer it. Thank you. The wires in the harness just before electrical tape hack are green and brown. So you’re saying green to the hot and brown to the neutral. This is the female socket I bought to wire in. Not the greatest because the wires are so thin but I think I can make it work. I haven’t actually opened this new socket yet.

Legrand-Pass & Seymour SA155BKCC10 Residential Straight Blade Connector 15-Amp 125-volt Two Pole Two Wire, Black https://a.co/d/72UjoTz

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

you’re saying green to the hot and brown to the neutral.

Yes, that makes sense to me, and matches what I see on the schematic.

Of course, all this assumes that the main power cord for the machine is already wired correctly, i.e. with the hot going to the main power switch via the yellow wire from the wall cord. If the main wiring is already wrong, then you can wire the sound outlet up correctly but wouldn't get the actual benefit of a polarized outlet.

FWIW, it sounds like from your original post that you've already fixed the main cord. So I guess you just double-check that, unless you're already sure you did that correctly the first time. In addition, if you wanted to, you could probably add a ground to the sound outlet; just tie that back to the same ground the main cord goes to (assuming it does...the schematic shows a ground, but not a prong on the plug; since you mentioned the old one had the ground pin cut off, I'm guessing you replaced the plug with one that has a ground pin, but it's hard to know for sure based on your description).

The schematic doesn't show any ground for the sound outlet, but I don't see any reason you couldn't add it if you wanted to.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Yes, that makes sense to me, and matches what I see on the schematic.
Of course, all this assumes that the main power cord for the machine is already wired correctly, i.e. with the hot going to the main power switch via the yellow wire from the wall cord. If the main wiring is already wrong, then you can wire the sound outlet up correctly but wouldn't get the actual benefit of a polarized outlet.
FWIW, it sounds like from your original post that you've already fixed the main cord. So I guess you just double-check that, unless you're already sure you did that correctly the first time. In addition, if you wanted to, you could probably add a ground to the sound outlet; just tie that back to the same ground the main cord goes to (assuming it does...the schematic shows a ground, but not a prong on the plug; since you mentioned the old one had the ground pin cut off, I'm guessing you replaced the plug with one that has a ground pin, but it's hard to know for sure based on your description).
The schematic doesn't show any ground for the sound outlet, but I don't see any reason you couldn't add it if you wanted to.

The wiring was really hacked. In addition to the ground pin being cut off, it was wired backwards with the hot and neutral reversed. I installed a new 3 prong plug with the hot side now going to the yellow wire which goes to the main fuse and then the power switch. Narrow blade smooth wire hot, wide blade ribbed wire neutral. Believe me I’ve checked it and double and triple checked it. I may run a ground wire to everything. Right now the plug ground goes to the transformer and to the coin door. That does appear to be factory but nothing else is grounded that I can see. No other metal and not the sound module.

This game also had 5 of the 6 fuses oversized. A couple of them were way oversized. The only fuse that was correct was the one inside the sound module itself.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upper-deck-sound-board-outlet-wiring-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.