Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pdman
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

The ratcheting crimpers are dang nice. I have 4 sets of them I use on pins - .156, .100, .093, .062
    The right tool makes any job easier. I wouldn't pay $100 a set, picked mine up on eBay over the course of a year for around $20-30 a set.

I want *everybody* to buy the Sargent tools crimpers at $100 per shot!!!
    But, seriously, even I have obtained all my crimpers from ebay just like John did. You gotta be careful to make sure the parts are all there and working when you buy them but not uncommon to get these at the $20-30 range for good ones.

#28 11 years ago

One thing to note is the manufacturer used IDC type plugs because they saved a ton of assembly time. You will never see IDC in high reliability (e.g. spaceborne) equipment - there's a reason.

However, with the light use that most home based pinball machines will see - you would probably be ok with IDC's as long as you buy the correct size (connector MUST match wire size).

The best connectors and contacts you can get on there are the Molex polyester 41695 series plugs with their high current box contacts (45570 series). These are now good up to 13 amps but tend to be a bit on the pricey side. Most people just end up buying the nylon plugs with trifurcon contacts... Again, decent contacts that will still last a long time.

Biggest killer of these connectors (both IDC and crimp on) is the mating/unmating cycles. These have a VERY limited unplug/replug cycle count before they start slopping up, building up resistance and then building up heat.

I normally only worry about headers if the original plating is bad. If no longer bright, shiney and even then it has seen heat and can become a potential future problem.

Do not solder contacts after crimping them. The solder *will* wick up under the insulation and will create a rigid zone at the back of the connector. This just screams "break me here!".

Ed

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-to-156-trifurcon?tu=G-P-E and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.