Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by knockerlover
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

alien_final3 (resized).jpg
    alien_final4 (resized).jpg
    alien_final2 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp3 (resized).jpg
    alien_final1 (resized).jpg
    3ed006e7a1ec4021311b4973464c23ad535b83e2 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp5 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp4 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp7 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp6 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp3 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp2 (resized).jpg
    alien_comp1 (resized).jpg
    xenoboard13 (resized).jpg
    xenoboard12 (resized).jpg
    xenoboard11 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

We have a proto Alien pinball that came from the factory with no Alien head. Also had the old style computer, and could not upgrade the software. So after bothering Heighway pinball for a bit, they sent out a care package with new parts. This included a new ball scope, computer, alien head, right and left side plastics, and some misc small boards and wiring harnesses.

I would guess that others have received this type of care package too. The only problem with this care package, there's absolutely NO instructions on installing any of these parts. So since others are probably in the same situation as us, I figured we best put up a thread on upgrading the Alien.

Since we're really shooting from the hip, figured we do the simplest of tasks first. That would be installing the new metal scoop, and the "cliffy" hole protector for this scoop.

Below is a picture of the original (old) scoop, and the new scoop. Really the only difference between the old and new scoop is a piece of black plastics inside the scoop. I believe the purpose of this is to decrease ball wear on the playfield hole. That would make sense, especially since they included a Cliffy style hole protector too. In the picture below, the new scoop is on the right.
    alien_hole1 (resized).jpgalien_hole1 (resized).jpg

From underneath the playfield you can see the scoop in the picture below. Notice the orientation of the wires. On the coil it's not so important, but on the switch it probably is. You can see the blue wire is on the center lug of the switch. Remove the four wires (2 on the coil, 2 on the switch), and remove the 5 threaded screws holding the scoop in place.
    06B2F899-914A-4AA5-A889-CC96A4C87588 (resized).jpeg06B2F899-914A-4AA5-A889-CC96A4C87588 (resized).jpeg

From the top side of the playfield, remove the (6?) 11/32" nylon lock nuts, so the mini-TV screen can be removed. Don't disconnect the screen, just push it aside for now. This will reveal the hole. In the picture below the scoop is already removed.
    833DBA67-DC84-4FBA-9C86-1CBF6655F512 (resized).jpeg833DBA67-DC84-4FBA-9C86-1CBF6655F512 (resized).jpeg

After the TV screen is set aside and the plastic removed, the top side metal U ball guide will need to be removed. It is held in place with three 1/4" head wood screws. Remove them, and then the provided Cliffy protectors can be put in place (from the top side of the playfield). Then the U metal ball guide replaced, and screwed back down.
    alien_hole2 (resized).jpgalien_hole2 (resized).jpg

Below is a picture with the U metal ball guide in place, and the Cliffy hole protector installed too.
    BD1F8F81-2AE7-4EEB-9DFC-4FDA3E63597F (resized).jpegBD1F8F81-2AE7-4EEB-9DFC-4FDA3E63597F (resized).jpeg

Be careful with the surrounding plastic. It has some really thin areas that may already be cracked (like the plastic below.) I scanned this plastic in case it does break. This way i can make a replacement later, if needed. Replace the plastic and the TV screen (which mounts on top of the plastic).

E5E41C4B-65B0-45AD-9D4C-F418D952E472 (resized).jpegE5E41C4B-65B0-45AD-9D4C-F418D952E472 (resized).jpeg

From the bottom of the playfield you can now install the new scoop. It goes in place just like the old one, and the wires connect in the exact same place. Picture below is for reference.
    alien_hole3 (resized).jpgalien_hole3 (resized).jpg

Here's a picture from the top side with the new scoop installed.
    alien_hole4 (resized).jpgalien_hole4 (resized).jpg

Next up, installing the new Alien head! This will be a lot more of a challenge than this...

#2 6 years ago

On our particular Alien pinball, there was never an Alien head installed. So we were quite happy when the head came in our care package. But unfortunately this creates more of a problem, as we have no point of reference as to how the head is installed.

The Alien head is a cast device with a metal sub-frame, and two stepper motors. One motor, acting a lot like a Genie garage door opener, moves the "tongue" out of the head's mouth. There is a mechanical switch on this device, to tell the computer when the tongue is a correct position (either inside the head or ready to pick up a ball.) By the way, the tongue has a permanent magnet on the tip that grabs the ball. As the stepper motor brings the tongue back into the head's mouth, the ball is stripped off the magnet, and the ball drops through the head's jaw, and into the ball trough below. This is purely mechanical, as the tongue magnet is permanent.

The other motor, which is more like an RC plane motor (or that motor used for the visors on Dataeast Tommy), and opens the Alien's jaw/mouth. Obviously the jaw must be open for the tongue to come out. There is no switch to tell the game if the mouth is open or closed. But Heighway provides a small board with a switch. We are thinking this does something related to the jaw.

First step is to remove the cast head portion of the assembly. There's two screws, one on either side of the head, to allow its removal. Then you can see the tongue position switch.
    alien_head1 (resized).jpgalien_head1 (resized).jpg

There are two boards that also came in the kit, pictured below. The board on the left controls the motors on the head. Unfortunately i don't know where Heighway wants this to be mounted, but it's far to assume it will be under the playfield. The second board, I am really unsure about. It has a switch mounted to it, and it has two in-line connectors. Like it plugs into an existing under-playfield board. I'm not quite there yet as to where this board goes, but i'm guessing it is also related to the head.
    alien_head2 (resized).jpgalien_head2 (resized).jpg

Next is the wiring harnesses. Heighway provided three harnesses in the kit. Two are used for the head, the third is used for power to the new computer. (More on that later.) Now is probably a good time to figure out where they plug into the motor board(s). Note these two harnesses are labeled "AH1" and "AH2". Which i assume "AH" means "alien head". The harness AH1 has the two blue and black leads that go to the head's tongue switch (not shown in this picture), which attach to the two outside lugs of the tongue switch. Also shown is the mystery switch board, bottom side, with the two in-line connectors (switch is against the table top, not shown). Where exactly all these wire plugs go, i haven't quite figured out. Hopefully Heighway will see this and give me some information...
    alien_head7 (resized).jpgalien_head7 (resized).jpg

Also in the kit are two black plastic spacers. These are nicely marked right and left. They go underneath the Alien head. This is required, because without them, the tongue, at full extension, is too low to really pick up a ball. Also shown in this picture... where one of the provided wiring harnesses attaches to the mechanical tongue switch. That's really important, best to install that harness now. Note that the blue and black wires slide on the OUTSIDE two switch lugs, with the center lug not attached. (this is different than most other switches on the game.) There's a small hole in the playfield behind the large jaw/ball hole. The switch wires go through that hole. They are a bit hard to fish through, because there's a light board underneath. But it's not too bad to get them through the hole and grab them under the playfield.
    alien_head3 (resized).jpgalien_head3 (resized).jpg

We used 3M double sided tape to attach the plastic spacers to the bottom of the metal head bracket. This certainly makes mounting the head easier, as the spacers don't get away from you! Remove the white protector film from the spacers, and use the 3M double sided tape on the black spacer tops. Then they can be pressed onto the alien head's metal frame, which will ease the installation process.
    alien_head4 (resized).jpgalien_head4 (resized).jpg

Looking at the playfield, you can see the four holes used to mount the alien head to the playfield. Unforuntately, these holes are probably not accurate. You will have to make some adjustments. On our playfield, you can see the right side holes have been elongated. That was done at the factory. Frankly it would have been better if the factory didn't drill any holes.
    alien_head5 (resized).jpgalien_head5 (resized).jpg

So how do you position the head? This is where it gets a bit tricky. We manually open the alien's jaw, and push the tongue out until the limit switch opens. This simulates what the game would do when extending the tongue. Then with the plastic spacers mounted on your head brackets, position the head. You need to have it in a spot that is close to the playfield mounted magnet. Because that's how this works.... the game captures the ball on the playfield magnet, the jaw opens, the tongue comes out, and the tongue's permanent magnet touches the ball. Then the playfield magent is de-energized by the software, and the stepper motor reverses, and brings the ball back inside the alien's mouth (where it drops through the jaw, and into the lower ball trough.) Jaw then closes.

Because this is a fairly involved sequence, the head must be perfectly positioned. In the picture below you can see where we have the tongue out and the ball grabbed. This head position put the alien's jaw right behind the stand up targets! The jaw is almost touching the back of the targets. Though I would have preferred a bit more room between them, I'm pretty sure this is where the head needs to mount.
    alien_head6 (resized).jpgalien_head6 (resized).jpg

Here's a picture of the alien tongue fully extended (switch just opened). Notice the position of the ball and the playfield magnet. For consistent ball pickups, probably need to have it look just like this (ball centered on playfield magnet.)
    alien_head8 (resized).jpgalien_head8 (resized).jpg

To position the Alien head, we used hex head wood screws from the top of the playfield to get the position correct. Once we were happy with the head location, we drill trough with a long (8" long) 1/8" drill bit, one hole at a time. Then we could mount the right side T-nuts. We only used #8 T-nuts on the right side of the head. On the left side of the head, we used hex wood screws from the top side. It was just too complicated to remove more "stuff" for more T-nuts. And i'm not sure it really need more than two t-nuts anyway. The picture below, from underneath, shows two T-nut #8 that were installed. The ball trough was removed to mount the T-nuts. Note the top t-nut was ground a bit, at an angle, to fit around the pop bumper bracket. Also hex wood screws were installed next to the t-nuts so they won't fall off if the top screws are loosened (very important, and you'll see why soon!)
    alien_head10 (resized).jpgalien_head10 (resized).jpg

After the alien head is mounted, you can hook up the tongue switch wires (if you haven't already.) The two outside lugs of the switch are used. The AH1 harness has two unique connectors on the black and blue wires. Frankly you can't screw this one up, there's only two wires with the switch style connectors.
    alien_head9 (resized).jpgalien_head9 (resized).jpg

Next up, actually getting the head bolted down, and hooking up the wiring harnesses.
    (Hopefully Heighway pinball will interject with some suggestions... hoping...)

#3 6 years ago

Before we do the wiring harness, the Xeno jaw board must be modified. After talking to Heighway, it turns out the jaw motor board is also used in Full Throttle. The FT version uses a switch - the Alien version does not. But the board still has this switch. But it's not used, so you can just ignore it.

As part of the Heighway care package, there is a small static envelope with a very small board enclosed. There is also a tiny heat sink included too. You will need to mount these to the Xeno jaw motor board. But first let's get them oriented correctly, as seen in the picture below.
    xenoboard1 (resized).jpgxenoboard1 (resized).jpg

Make sure the in-line pins on the tiny board are straight. When i got my board, they were slightly bent. Using a small needle nose pliers, i bent the pins straight. Using the orientation shown below, insert the tiny board into the Xeno jaw board, as shown below. Press the tiny board into place firmly.
    xenoboard2 (resized).jpgxenoboard2 (resized).jpg

With the two boards mated together, next it's time to mount the tiny heat sink. It has some adhesive tape on the back. Peel the tape back, and press the heat sink into place on top of the chip, as shown below.
    xenoboard3 (resized).jpgxenoboard3 (resized).jpg

With the board assembled, it should look the picture below.
    xenoboard4 (resized).jpgxenoboard4 (resized).jpg

Now that the Jaw motor board is assembled, we can go ahead and mount the two boards.

#4 6 years ago

So now it's time to install the two Alien head boards. They mount on the back panel of the playfield. So pull the playfield out a good bit, so you can access the back of the back panel. In my care package there were no mounting screws for these boards, so i had to use my own. I also came up with some nylon spacers to go behind the boards too. The exact position of the boards is really not all that important. But i mounted mine around the Alien head tongue cut out on the back board.

Here's the two boards mounted with nylon spacers.
    xenoboard5 (resized).jpgxenoboard5 (resized).jpg

Here's a wider view of the two boards, mounted on the back of the back panel.
    xenoboard6 (resized).jpgxenoboard6 (resized).jpg

And yet an even wider view of the two boards.
    xenoboard7 (resized).jpgxenoboard7 (resized).jpg

Next up.... running the wires!

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the install pictures,and instructions
    I just received my parts last week for both prototypes I have here.

I did my head install a while ago.
    I think I had install pics for that one though.
    Might have got them from Libtech,who has the other prototype here.

I am patiently waiting for your new computer install pictures
    did your game have the separate USB hub as well.
    You might have to remove the small LCD screen again to change out the cables.

#6 6 years ago

Couple of parts pictures.

E47498D7-B2FB-42D9-8733-7FA3B00246E5 (resized).jpegE47498D7-B2FB-42D9-8733-7FA3B00246E5 (resized).jpeg

9AD111D7-56E1-4996-8F72-67A0BCB247D0 (resized).jpeg9AD111D7-56E1-4996-8F72-67A0BCB247D0 (resized).jpeg

CD2CE4AA-F29B-41A1-B8B9-DA40FE1D647A (resized).jpegCD2CE4AA-F29B-41A1-B8B9-DA40FE1D647A (resized).jpeg

86B5096C-8803-4455-9BA8-672F540525B3 (resized).jpeg86B5096C-8803-4455-9BA8-672F540525B3 (resized).jpeg

#7 6 years ago

Wow your care package was different than mine. What is the blue board? I did not get that.

#8 6 years ago

I think they are spare Io2 boards,we had a bad one on one game.
    Sent a spare for the other game just in case.

#9 6 years ago

Note i have been editing the above posts, adding some more text and pictures. So be sure to check that out...

====================
    Now on to wiring the two boards which we mounted on the back panel of the playfield. Note we used zip ties on the Head wiring that had loose wires with no ties. I think this is really a good idea, and for some reason, Heighway didn't do that.

The Head wires go to the newly mounted boards. One Head connector to each board. The picture below shows this best.

Now let's mount the "AH1" cable connector harness. This cable should already be mounted on the head, as it has two wires/connectors that go to the tongue switch (on the alien head), which we discussed earlier. But there's two other connectors on the AH1 cable. One goes to the newly mounted board, and the other goes to the existing under-playfield LED board. The mounting of the connectors is really best shown in a couple pictures. Here's the AH1 wiring going to the two board...
    xenoboard8 (resized).jpgxenoboard8 (resized).jpg

There will be one connector left, on the "AH1" harness. That goes on to an existing lamp board. Again a couple pictures show this best...
    xenoboard9 (resized).jpgxenoboard9 (resized).jpg
    xenoboard10 (resized).jpgxenoboard10 (resized).jpg

Next up, mounting the AH2 wiring harness....

#10 6 years ago

Now to mount the AH2 wiring harness. The first thing is to plug in the yellow/blue/black connector into the newly back mounted board. There's only one connector left that is big enough, so you really can't get this wrong. Below is a picture with ALL the wiring mounted to the two added boards (this is the final configuration.)
    xenoboard11 (resized).jpgxenoboard11 (resized).jpg

There are two connectors left on the AH2 harness. They go to the existing under-playfield mounted boards. First is the black/yellow connector, which is the 12 volt feed for the head and new boards. This connects under the playfield, next to the AH1 connector (which you already applied in the above step.) In the picture below my big fat finger is pointing to the attachment.
    xenoboard12 (resized).jpgxenoboard12 (resized).jpg

Lastly, there's a blue wire connector that goes to another board, pretty much right below the alien head trough. Again my big fat finger is pointing to this connection in the picture below.
    xenoboard13 (resized).jpgxenoboard13 (resized).jpg

Now the Alien head and head boards and all the wiring needed for such is mounted!
    Last up, mounting the new computer...

#11 6 years ago

Thank you for the documentation, no small amount of work here, but it at least looks doable...

#12 6 years ago

Yeah but we’re not done. The last thing is mounting the new computer. And there some tricks to this and some things that you need to buy that didn’t come in your highway care package. More on that in a day or so

#13 6 years ago

Now it's time to do the last, and probably most important, step: wire and mount the new computer.

The new computer looks entirely different than the original. Our original computer is a Zotac brand, in it's own box. The new computer is not in a box. And frankly i have no idea who made it.

Original Zotac computer, showing its ports.
    alien_comp1 (resized).jpgalien_comp1 (resized).jpg

The new computer, showing its ports.
    alien_comp2 (resized).jpgalien_comp2 (resized).jpg

A picture from Heighway, showing where all the stuff gets plugged on the new computer.
    alien_comp3 (resized).jpgalien_comp3 (resized).jpg

The point i'm making here is that the ports are different on the new computer. For example, there's NO vga video port on the new computer, it only has DVI video port. Yet we have VGA style monitors. So how do we deal with this??

Well, you need to buy some stuff. The Alien "care package" (at least ours) did not include the cabling needed to hook up everything to the new computer. You need some more stuff...

(1) DVI/DVI cable, 3 meters long, for the 10" playfield flat monitor
    (1) DVI/DVI cable, 1.5 meters long, for the 27" backbox monitor (assuming you have that.)
    (1) DVI to HDMI cable, 1.5 meters long, for the 5" playfield upright airlock monitor.

I can show how to hook up the computer, but it's really best if you have all the cabling before you start!
    Amazon.com is probably a good place to get this stuff.

Here's a two pack of DVI/DVI cables....
    https://www.amazon.com/DVI-Cable-10FT-Resolution-Digital/dp/B06XDRCZ8G/ref=sr_1_6

And here's a link to a DVI to HDMI cable...
    https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Fosmon-DVI-D-Bi-Directional-Plated/dp/B01MQODF5S/ref=sr_1_18

#14 6 years ago

Hopefully everyone has ordered the needed 3 cables, and they are on the way from where ever.
    Now it's time to actually mount the new computer.

First step, remove the old computer and set aside. In the Heighway care package, you notice a bag with some playfield posts and nylon spacers. Now's the time to use those.

Heighway recommends mounting the new computer stand off posts in a certain position. The way i did this was to put the new computer board on the floor of the cabinet, and drill small 1/16" pilot holes. Then screw the posts in place.
    alien_comp4 (resized).jpgalien_comp4 (resized).jpg

Below is a picture which shows (blue arrow) the power cable, which will need to be wired to the existing power supply.
    alien_comp5 (resized).jpgalien_comp5 (resized).jpg

The original computer power supply is not used for the new computer. Instead you'll notice in the Heighway care package a 12 volt (black/yellow wires) power cable. This needs to attach to the existing 12 volt power supply, already installed in the game. The picture below shows i'm pointing to the existing 12 volt power supply, already installed in the game.
    alien_comp6 (resized).jpgalien_comp6 (resized).jpg

Here's where the black and yellow wires attach.
    alien_comp7 (resized).jpgalien_comp7 (resized).jpg

We're still now done with the computer install, stay tuned, more pictures coming...

#15 6 years ago

Can you do me a favor and post a pic of where the power for the light side blades go inside the machine? I know the black plug goes into the device itself but the other two wires on the other end - where do they go? I got the illuminated side blades but no instructions and I can see how it works - just don't know where those two ends go (power wise).

Really nice of you to document this...

#16 6 years ago

Where does the blue wire attach to in this pic? Need to zoom in - I believe the brown wire (next to it) goes into the first power screw. Does this blue wire (highlighted in yellow) go to the 2nd power screw?

3ed006e7a1ec4021311b4973464c23ad535b83e2 (resized).jpg3ed006e7a1ec4021311b4973464c23ad535b83e2 (resized).jpg

EDIT - answering my own question. Yes - that blue goes into the 2nd slot.

#17 6 years ago

That power supply only does 12 volts. So it has two input power lugs (120 volts AC i would guess) and all the output lugs are yellow=12v and black=ground. of course you can verify that with a DMM.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

That power supply only does 12 volts. So it has two input power lugs (120 volts AC i would guess) and all the output lugs are yellow=12v and black=ground. of course you can verify that with a DMM.

Power supply provides both 12v and 5v, but you are saying to use 12v.

#19 6 years ago

That is a very unusual motherboard. I have never seen a motherboard with 4 dvi ports. I'd get a spare of that board for sure.

#20 6 years ago

I think I found the PC board they are using in Alien. Not sure how you would get a replacement if you wanted, but this looks like the model (it says you can order a single board, but who knows).

https://sz-fox.en.made-in-china.com/product/RSCmWBqHYxYt/China-Mini-Itx-Mainboard-with-AMD-CPU-2-COM-4-DVI-D-Msata-Minipcie-6-USB2-0-4-USB3-0-Gpio-4-SATA.html

#21 6 years ago

Hopefully you have ordered your 3 new cables (they took a while to get from Amazon, for some reason)....

(1) DVI/DVI cable, 3 meters long, for the 10" playfield flat monitor
    (1) DVI/DVI cable, 1.5 meters long, for the 27" backbox monitor (assuming you have that.)
    (1) DVI to HDMI cable, 1.5 meters long, for the 5" playfield upright airlock monitor.

It's time to install the new cable.

The cable from the big backbox monitor to the new computer is easy, nothing remarkable there.

The cable from the playfield flat monitor to the new computer is easy too. Some nylon ties will need to be cut to remove the old cable, and re-attached with new nylon cable ties. But again, pretty easy stuff.

But the new cable going to the airlock monitor on the playfield, that's a bit more tricky. The hole in the playfield was not wide enough to fit the new cable. So the sides of the new cable had to be slightly ground (I used a bench grinder) to allow the cable to pass through the playfield. The picture below show this (you can clearly see the cable is ground on the sides.)

alien_final1 (resized).jpgalien_final1 (resized).jpg

All the new cables need to be plugged into the computer...

alien_comp3 (resized).jpgalien_comp3 (resized).jpg

And don't forget to put the standoffs included in the heighway upgrade kits on the posts. These secure the computer board, and allows the installation of the VERY important clear plastic shield over top of the computer...

alien_final2 (resized).jpgalien_final2 (resized).jpg

Now it's time to boot up the new computer. You should see the following boot up message (and ultimately that you're running version 1.02 of the Alien software)...

alien_final3 (resized).jpgalien_final3 (resized).jpg

And you'll need to put the game on free play, and set any options you would like. Then you can test the Alien head in game play. Ours worked great first time!

alien_final4 (resized).jpgalien_final4 (resized).jpg

=======================
    I would to thank Heighway for their game and parts! Finally we have a fully working Alien game!!

#22 6 years ago

Excellent guide as always. Thanks!

#23 6 years ago

Great Guide ! Thanks so much

#24 6 years ago

Clay, honestly, this is why the Pinball community is lucky to have you. Tremendous job on this. I don’t have an Alien, but this would really help someone who does!

#25 6 years ago

And this is why paying for the Pinball Ninja site is so worth it. We are VERY lucky to have Clay in this hobby. Without him, man, my games would be hosed.

2 months later
    #26 5 years ago

cfh this is an awesome guide that has helped me in my progress on the 3 games that we have. Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

I was wondering if there was any way you could help us get measurements and better pictures of the 3d printed plastic that is used inside the airlock scoop? I'd like to get those recreated, and modify our scoops similarly. I would make the 3d printer file publicly available for all those that need them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-the-heighway-alien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.