(Topic ID: 143614)

Upgrading Pinball Speakers - Basic Questions

By delt31

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0019.jpg
    100_0018.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcclad.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 8 years ago

I was wondering if there was a cost efficient way of replacing pinball speakers as well. I am not talking about subwoofers or Pro sound stuff, just a step up from the factory speakers that are in my machines at the moment. I am sure that the speakers that were originally installed were not of the highest quality. Has anyone replaced their speakers with an off the shelf brand or can recommend where to get some some that will be an improvement in sound? Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Things to remember:
    1. Those old crappy speakers were what the sound was tuned and equalized to when the game was made. People often install car stereo speakers and the sound is then very harsh and bright.
    2. Efficiency is EVERYTHING when it comes to driving speakers with a little 4w amp. When people say their pin is too quiet after installing new speakers, that is often because the new ones are less efficient.
    A speaker that is 3db more efficient, will be TWICE as loud as one that is 3db less efficient.
    Speakers will give their efficiency usually with a rating like " 92db 1w/1m ". That means that the speaker will deliver 92db when driven by 1 watt of power, measured at a distance of 1 meter.
    The higher the db number, the more efficient the speaker is.
    Never buy a speaker that only says "85db" without giving you the wattage and distance. If they can't give you all the needed information, you can be sure it's a super crappy speaker.
    3. The Ohms ( little horseshoe symbol) is important on a speaker because a well designed amp will put out 2x the watts when you cut the Ohms in half. So a good amp that puts out 10 watts into 8Ω, will put out 20 watts into 4Ω.
    When people say their new speakers are too quiet, even though they are very efficient, they often bought 8Ω speakers to replace the original 4Ω; thus loosing half the watts in the process.
    4. Your largest gain volume vs. dollar on a pinball machine is getting an external sub. You can hook up a dozen games to a single subwoofer with a small line mixer.

Glad that you posted this. You just saved me a lot of money I would have spent on speakers that would not have given me an upgrade.

#15 8 years ago

How do you hook up multiple games to one sub using a small line mixer?

#17 8 years ago

OK Vid. Thanks for that answer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcclad.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-pinball-speakers-basic-questions?tu=mcclad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.