(Topic ID: 59184)

Stern testing new AC/DC prototype at Enchanted Castle in Lombard IL tomorrow..?

By PurpleTophat

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 205 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by blue95
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CR.jpg
bump.gif
72000104.jpg
New_Canasta.jpg
AC_DC_-_Blow_Up_Your_Video.jpg
excited.gif

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

So the wife and I were at Enchanted Castle in Lombard IL AGAIN tonight playing WOZ. We were on our way out of the pin room to go get another beer, and we get stopped by a nice fellow whose name was Ken. Anyways, he asks how we like the game and if everything if playing as it should. We shoot the shit, then he tells us that we're first people he's breaking this news to: apparently Stern is delivering them some new upgraded prototype AC/DC to them tomorrow.

I pressed him for some details, but all he said was that it had some new video system or video screen or something on it. I have NO idea what this means, but I found it intriguing to say the least! He said he wasn't even sure of all the details, but that we should come by tomorrow and see for ourselves. Anyone have any idea what this is about?? I think we'll stop by regardless, but I thought I'd share!

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like it's worth a trip back!

#3 10 years ago

You do plan on going back and getting pictures and letting us know. Please ?

Looking forward to see what they've got cooking.

LTG : )

#4 10 years ago

Yeah I think we'll be stopping in. If we do, I'll take a pic or two for sure! I really wonder what this is. What new "video system" would they be talking about? Ken didn't seem to be sure, so who knows? Maybe he's just speculating himself...

#5 10 years ago

Wow.
Would be the coolest news in a long time if true.
Please somebody check this out.

#6 10 years ago

His name is indeed Ken (great name) and he is a very nice fellow. He bought my son and I dinner when I told him we had driven hours to partake in their pinball machines. Can't wait to get back down there.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from DEWSHO:

His name is indeed Ken (great name) and he is a very nice fellow.

Thanks for helping on that! Yes he is a nice guy. It's always nice when people care about the condition of their pins too!!!

#8 10 years ago

Well they gotta test the new LCD and hardware for Star Trek somewhere? Right......

#9 10 years ago

I'll be there in the coming days if the OP doesn't stop by with an update. It really is a great place to play pinball. They have a few Stern games I had never gotten a chance to play before.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

I pressed him for some details, but all he said was that it had some new video system or video screen or something on it.

I wonder if it is a new color DMD. Just being realistic here, it makes ZERO sense for Stern to invest a ton of money into putting a brand new screen into a game that is over a year old now and has sold tons and tons. If they had said a new video thing for Metallica, I'd believe it somewhat more... but even then I'd really question it.

Having said that, I worked in the entertainment industry for years, and lots of times we did things that made ZERO sense.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Just being realistic here, it makes ZERO sense for Stern to invest a ton of money into putting a brand new screen into a game that is over a year old now

I agree with this as well.
Taking this with a grain of salt till I see proof.
Would make a lot more sense to test something for Star Trek.

#12 10 years ago

It's not Stern's style to let the cat out of the bag early like that, they really like to play it close.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's not Stern's style to let the cat out of the bag early like that, they really like to play it close.

But a person running a business like Ken would generate buzz to get bodies in the door. I would.

#14 10 years ago

Stern did say "the game has changed" today.

#15 10 years ago

It might not turn up now lol

#16 10 years ago

Eagerly awaiting news / pics / video....

excited.gifexcited.gif

#17 10 years ago

I was planning on heading out there Friday or Saturday and this is making me want to make the trip sooner than planned. One of the more local guys need to hit this place up at lunch or after work and report back. Bump to the top

#18 10 years ago

I work just down the road from this place. Will stop out there around 1pm cst today.

Edit: Stopped in at lunch and didn't notice anything new with the acdc pro.

#19 10 years ago

yeah bomba!!

Anyone that can post info! Thank you

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Bomba:

I work just down the road from this place. Will stop out there around 1pm cst today.

Sounds good look forward to finding about the outcome.

#21 10 years ago

Just waiting....

#22 10 years ago

Maybe this will be the new translite, and we'll get a "Blow Up Your Video" mode!

Or,

They're just testing something with different internal components under routed conditions, and we're getting excited over nothing.

AC_DC_-_Blow_Up_Your_Video.jpgAC_DC_-_Blow_Up_Your_Video.jpg

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I wonder if it is a new color DMD. Just being realistic here, it makes ZERO sense for Stern to invest a ton of money into putting a brand new screen into a game that is over a year old now and has sold tons and tons. If they had said a new video thing for Metallica, I'd believe it somewhat more... but even then I'd really question it.
Having said that, I worked in the entertainment industry for years, and lots of times we did things that made ZERO sense.

Stern does test things on existing games before they put them in to full on production... I remember there being a NBA for sale ... with the AC/DC sound system... produced long after NBA stopped running

#24 10 years ago

Well, it's settled. I'll be heading up there around 4:30-5 today. I'll bring my camera with just in case it's anything awesome and someone like Bomba hasn't already filled us in!

#25 10 years ago

Well I can't wait till 1:00 today now! I'll be running back to my office every 5 min to see if there is an update lol.

#26 10 years ago

Well, if it's nothing cool, at least you get to play AC/DC.

#27 10 years ago

Maybe they're making an AC/DC version of The Pin?

#28 10 years ago

Glad I don't have to go to work until 2pm

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Just being realistic here, it makes ZERO sense for Stern to invest a ton of money into putting a brand new screen into a game that is over a year old now and has sold tons and tons.

Unless said game would sell even more new games. It is a proven winner.

And they tried a new system in the past with a Sopranos that was tested with the new SAM system.

Exciting day for Stern.

#30 10 years ago

Tag....

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I wonder if it is a new color DMD. Just being realistic here, it makes ZERO sense for Stern to invest a ton of money into putting a brand new screen into a game that is over a year old now and has sold tons and tons.

Could be similar to the EM to SS crossover. There were a few pins they made as an EM and also an SS. Evel Knieval, Mata Hari, Captain Fantastic, Night Rider, Hot Tip, Aztec come to mind...

#32 10 years ago

Add this topic to your favorites (?)

#34 10 years ago

Someone leave work, geez... there are more important things than working!

#35 10 years ago

Crap, wish I would have seen this earlier. I work 10 minutes from there, and like a fool I ate lunch at my desk!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Crap, wish I would have seen this earlier. I work 10 minutes from there, and like a fool I ate lunch at my desk!

I should have sent you a email or something, when I bumped the thread I was kinda hoping you'd see it since I know you go there at lunch sometimes.

#37 10 years ago

awww helll nawww we can't wait that long!

#39 10 years ago

Pics or it hasn't happened yet!

#40 10 years ago

Gameworks has a new AC/DC Premium and it seems to have the new system board. Boot up is different it's just like the transformers game they have that has the same boot up and a new system board. The boot up seems to be some kind of loader and then you see the older board boot up screen also the rom ver are older then what is the latest for the older boards. They also have a soft power switch.

NO LCD or color DMD.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Gameworks has a new AC/DC Premium and it seems to have the new system board.

That is exciting in itself.

Trying a new system, and who knows. first game produced with it may have more surprises. Like color LCD or DMD ?

Disclaimer : Hope we see it at Expo at Stern's big bash.

#42 10 years ago

I hope that means they are going to do a new run of premiums with the new boardset.

I wonder which version would be preferred? New boardset or old?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I hope that means they are going to do a new run of premiums with the new boardset.

Hard to say. They didn't with Sopranos.

Only Stern knows for sure.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hard to say. They didn't with Sopranos.

Only Stern knows for sure.

I won't be able to afford the AC/DC premium until around december, so I'm hoping a new run will mean I could snag a NIB.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I won't be able to afford the AC/DC premium until around december, so I'm hoping a new run will mean I could snag a NIB.

I will hope with you. It would be a really great Christmas for you !

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Stern does test things on existing games before they put them in to full on production... I remember there being a NBA for sale ... with the AC/DC sound system... produced long after NBA stopped running

This is 100% True. I just transported that EXACT pin from Los Angeles to it's new owner in San Ramon

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-pins-in-a-yukon-done

#47 10 years ago

Nothing new at Enchanted Castle, same acdc pro.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I wonder which version would be preferred? New boardset or old?

well new board set had V1.63 and latest is V1.65. Maybe for a new run they will need to make it easy to update the software. It does seems very test like with the loader saying GAME and then it's ver.

#49 10 years ago

I'm not opposed to getting LCD screens in the new pins, but I'm not excited by the idea either. I guess I just feel that the DMDs are enough for me, but there are some nice perks with the extra real estate that an LCD affords.

#50 10 years ago

Everyone better dump their AC/DCs before the price plummets!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgraded-prototype-acdc-appearing-at-enchanted-castle-in-lombard-il-tomorrow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.