(Topic ID: 143670)

Upgrade Speakers, Color DMD...worth the $$?

By thall17

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by NJGecko
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I have:
    Scared Stiff, World Cup Soccer 94, Johnny Mnemonic, No Good Gofers...any of these titles benefit from upgraded speakers? What about color DMD?

Thanks

#2 4 years ago

I think the color DMD is a must. You can always take it out when you sell and use it in another machine.

#3 4 years ago

I won't consider a pin unless I can add a Color DMD to it.

Once you go color, it's impossible to back to orange

#4 4 years ago

ColorDMD is awesome in Scared Stiff!

#5 4 years ago

I don't have color DMD yet but do have pins hooked up to external Polk sub. At 2 pins per sub I think it is hard to beat the value ($40/pin) for the improvement had.

#6 4 years ago

You'll fall in love with your games again with Color dmd's in them and as far as upgrading your bb speakers if you do that you might as well put a car 12v amp/eq in the game to drive them, some have done that and that mod REALLY makes a difference with how they sound. I've been thinking of doing that to some of my games but have got to get off my lazy ass and do it. A nice plus for doing that is you can bring up the volume on the bb speakers which always seem to be to quiet.

#7 4 years ago

A nice thing about color DMD is that it's universal. Just pull it out when you go to sell and you don't have to worry about taking a loss. I have it for my favorite games and it's really nice.

#8 4 years ago

Color dmd yes definitely. For the speakers i think just adding a external powered sub is perfect combo with the stock speakers.

#9 4 years ago

I don't think they are worth the money. I can't play and watch it at the same time anyway and when it's time to sell people don't want to pay the extra.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

don't think they are worth the money. I can't play and watch it at the same time

YEs, But a colorDMD makes you want to try. It looks sweet.
    I think the best thing about colorDMD is they are super easy and quick to swap to a different game. So if they don't want to pay for that upgrade I always pull it.

#11 4 years ago

Do the DMD on a game you love - world of difference.

Polk has their sub on sale and you can hook two games two it at once....cheaper option than kits for each.

#12 4 years ago

ColorDMD is worth $250, not $400. I can buy a SmartDMD kit and get colorized games/colorize my own.

#13 4 years ago

The color DMD is beautiful. However, at $400 it's very expensive.

For me, a speaker upgrade is one of the best bang for the bucks you can do. This at less than 1/4 of the price of color DMD.

My .02

#14 4 years ago

Color DMD is nice but expensive. So I havent done it. I dont do the speaker upgrades. I prefer the jukebox music and only have the pinball sounds loud enough to hear slightly.

#15 4 years ago

Color DMD is 150 over my price threshold. Have no interest in speakers or subs, I have 10 games they are plenty loud when they're all running.

#16 4 years ago

ColorDMD is absolutely worth it..changes the whole feel.

#17 4 years ago

Pinsound>sub>speakers>colordmd in my opinion for games that offer all the above. You are always hearing the audio while only occasionally looking at the dmd.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

ColorDMD is worth $250, not $400. I can buy a SmartDMD kit and get colorized games/colorize my own.

I wasn't aware that you could colorize your own Williams/Bally titles. How does that work? Are you talking about just setting a palette? Not really the same thing at all.

Anyways, personally speaking even if you could, my time is worth a lot more than $150 considering properly coloring a game takes 80+ hours.

#19 4 years ago

First, nice lineup. Secondly color dmd ftw!

#20 4 years ago

Quoted from Fast-Ed:I don't think they are worth the money. I can't play and watch it at the same time anyway

Perhaps you should change your avatar to Slow Ed

#21 4 years ago

I own 2 ColorDMD's, but no, since you don't play the DMD, it's not worth it.

#22 4 years ago

My machines get 4 upgrades without a second thought: PDI glass, FF speakers, LED OCD boards (if I've installed LEDs), and a Color DMD. Best $750 you can spend in pinball.

#23 4 years ago

Upgrading your speakers can be done for $50 a pin if you do the work yourself.

#24 4 years ago

IMO speaker sets like Pinball Pro and Flipper Fidelity are not as good as just getting a external sub like the Polks, plus you can put 2 pins on 1 external sub. The color DMD is expensive but definitely the way to go.

#25 4 years ago

I think it depends on the person and the pin.

Personally I only do speaker upgrades on machines I'm selling. In my gameroom, unfortunately, I can't crank the machines, so not much benefit to me.

DMDs...I'm just dipping my toe in. I have a color DMD in my AFM, and one in a box that's destined for my CFTBL.

But I also have a blue DMD in my Tron and a white DMD in my TZ. I don't personally feel like they add much to the actual gameplay ,but they rank on the "cool" scale pretty high!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 156.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside